The perfect 3" 1911??

This is a discussion on The perfect 3" 1911?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I also have a Kimber Ultra Carry II and have put about 800 rounds through it so far. I have never had a problem with ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The perfect 3" 1911??

I also have a Kimber Ultra Carry II and have put about 800 rounds through it so far. I have never had a problem with it. One thing is you have to ditch the factory mag because it is garbage and doesn't work. Maybe the factory mag is what is giving people problems. Just my .5 cents

2. Remove Ads

I have had a Cylinder & Slide Adventurer for about 6 months, 700 rounds, absolutely reliable. They suggest replacing the recoil spring assembly (Seecamp design) every 500 rounds but first one still going strong. I believe Bill at C&S worked with Colt on their Defender design, so that would be my second choice. The Adventurer is small, 5 + 1 capacity; I pocket carry in jeans with no problem. I also got their SFS option which allows hammer down carry on a loaded chamber; I like it better than C&L.

Quote Originally Posted by skippy View Post
    I have had a Cylinder & Slide Adventurer for about 6 months, 700 rounds, absolutely reliable. They suggest replacing the recoil spring assembly (Seecamp design) every 500 rounds but first one still going strong. I believe Bill at C&S worked with Colt on their Defender design, so that would be my second choice. The Adventurer is small, 5 + 1 capacity; I pocket carry in jeans with no problem. I also got their SFS option which allows hammer down carry on a loaded chamber; I like it better than C&L.
    Yeah, for $2,000, it had BETTER be freakin' reliable!
    BTW, can I borrow some money?
    Taggart Snyder
    Man about town...

Hey Taggart, We all have our priorities, I drive a 16 year old Buick Wagon. I had a Para P10 and a Colt OM in the early 90's both were POS would not reliably feed hardball. Kimber makes some pretty guns but I don't like the idea of a break-in period. For out of the box reliability I would go with a SIG P220 but it does not fit in my jeans pocket. All things considered the Adventurer is a bargain.

PS No money to lend, I am saving up for a 10 year old Buick wagon.
    Last edited by skippy; January 14th, 2008 at 08:20 PM. Reason: grammar

I used to have a Colt Defender with thin Alumagrips and an upswept beavertail. Sweet gun that ran 100%, easy to carry except for the weight. I replaced it with a Glock 36 with a Pearce +1. 100% reliable, very accurate and lighter.

Kimber 3"...

I have a Kimber Ultra Carry II with CT grips. It is the only 1911 I've had that has been flawless from the 1st shot. The others required a bit of breaking in...not this one. I highly recommend them.

I have owned two Springfield V10 ultra's and had crappy luck with both of them. They were very picky about ammo and wouldn't chamber hollow points at all. The smallest 1911 I have now is my Kimber Pro Carry, it's been nearly flawless. The only problems I have had were some cheap mags I bought for it.
    Take my advice, don't skimp on the mags.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

I have a first series Kimber Ultra Carry CDP and once I switched to Wilson Combat mags I've had zero problems. I wish I did a better job of counting rounds, my guess would be around 1500, with about 300 of those before switching mags.
    I replaced the spring and followers in four mags (2 Kimber, 2 Colt) with Wilson kits and only use them for plinking and range time, no problems so far, but I only carry the real Wilson's.

Quote Originally Posted by mfitzwater View Post
    I have been planning a purchase of a 3" 1911 and had my heart set on a Kimber Ultra Carry but have recently read several threads that have me second guessing a Kimber Ultra II. What other options are out there? Please compare the Kimber to any other pistol that you would suggest and why. Thanks in advance for the help in my decision I know I will receive.

I love my Ultra II...it is my favorite thing to shoot lately! Small, accurate (reasonably) and smooth. I tried MANY small autos...Kahr stood out as the next best, but that wasn't .45 ACP, and not a 1911. I shot the Springfield EMP and loved it, but again, I don't think it is available in .45. I suppose the only TRUE 1911 I shot was the Commander. Very nice, but I didn't like it as well as the Ultra II. Springfield claims to have the most concealable 1911, but it isn't more so than my Ultra, and my Ultra is a true 1911 in .45 ACP. For what it is worth, I think you've chosen a really great gun. With ten in the mag and one in the pipe, you're well prepared. Spare mags are expensive, but are so cool looking and feel great in the hand...I love the feeling of a full double-stack mag...anyone else?

One thing I really like about the Ultra II is concealability. This thing just disappears...

A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

No problems with my SA Micro.
    Somewhere in the Pacific NW

I love my C&S Adventurer.
    Bleeding-heart reporter: “Do you feel that violence begets violence?”
    Jeff Cooper: “It is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure - and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more than he can enjoy."

Oh, great! Thanks a lot Skippy and NYCMedic! Now I want an Adventurer!
    Dang, this gun lust! Will it never end?
    Taggart Snyder
    Man about town...

Go for it. You'll be happy with your decision.
    Bleeding-heart reporter: “Do you feel that violence begets violence?”
    Jeff Cooper: “It is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure - and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more than he can enjoy."

Colt Defender here. No problems at all right out of the box. It does eject almost straight back, though, but I don't really care. The empties just go over my right shoulder. It is amazingly accurate. I use Wilson mags and 230 grain Remington hollow points. I carry it every day, all day.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links