The perfect 3" 1911??

This is a discussion on The perfect 3" 1911?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been planning a purchase of a 3" 1911 and had my heart set on a Kimber Ultra Carry but have recently read several ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The perfect 3" 1911??

The perfect 3" 1911??

I have been planning a purchase of a 3" 1911 and had my heart set on a Kimber Ultra Carry but have recently read several threads that have me second guessing a Kimber Ultra II. What other options are out there? Please compare the Kimber to any other pistol that you would suggest and why. Thanks in advance for the help in my decision I know I will receive.
    Last edited by Sporty79; January 11th, 2008 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Change title

2. Remove Ads

For a 3" Pistol Right now I would buy a Colt and nothing else but thats just me ... seem to hear less complaints about the colt's than the rest of the 3"ers

Lead Moderator
    Gotta agree with Bud. While I have heard a few complaints about the Colt Defenders, it seems much less than other brands.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

What is the price of a Colt Defender? I didn't see a price on the web site.

800 something i have seen them 750$$

If you like the Ultras, check out Kimber's Compacts or Pro Carrys. Both will give you that extra inch of barrel (much more reliable) and the Compact will provide the same size grip as the Ultra. The Pro series have the full-size grip, but I've overcome that with a bobtail job on several of my pistols. Just as easily concealed, but still provides the full grip and magazine capacity.

I have an SA Micro Compact. It's a 3" .45. I have the "loaded" model. Some people have had complaints about the Kimbers which convinced me to turn down a trade that my ffl gun guy wanted to do with me. He wanted to trade me a brand new Kimber for my used micro compact. Glad I didn't trade. I put about 400 wwb rounds through it and 65 hps with just two ftfs. I have to say I am very happy with my micro. I don't carry it yet as I am still in testing phase and don't have a holster, so I have been carrying my mk40, but I am looking forward to carrying my micro.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Colt Defender experience

My only 3 inch 1911 experience is with a Colt Defender, which I have owned for about 1-1/2 years. It has run perfectly through about 600 rounds and I like the gun. It sure does conceal easily in a belt holster because of its short barrel, short grip and thin profile. I have slim Alumagrips on the gun, which help concealment, and use the 7 round Wilson magazines to give 7+1 ammo capacity. I load it with Remington 185 grain Golden Sabers for carry purposes.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I've had this Para-Ordnance Slim Hawg for 2 weeks now.

I'm impressed with it so far!
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

Every gun maker on earth has made a lemon...guys paying $2500 for that 'special' pistol have been known to get a mechanical nightmare once in a while.

I have a Kimber Ultra CDP II...now over two years later...I have never had a problem with it...it's been a perfect weapon for me...OMO...but I'd buy another Kimber in a minute...

It is NO DIFFERENT...than comparing a Ford to a Cadillac...they both can be great cars or nightmares...
    If it's mechanical, it can fail.

Wouldn't it be a fine fix if you bought the one everyone recommended and got a lemon? I bet the comments would be..."WOW!...I've never had a problem with mine...I can't believe it!"

Stay armed...with something you trust...stay safe!
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; January 12th, 2008 at 01:21 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I carry an Ultra CDP II and have never had a problem with it. It is thin, fairly light and never a mis feed. It is a beautiful gun but more prone to scratches than my Glocks. You can't go wrong with a Kimber.

VIP Member
    The only 3" 1911 I have experience with is the Colt Defender. I've seen them range in price from $750-850. I really like mine and it has been very reliable.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I really like my Kimber Ultra Carry II. It took about 800 rounds to get it broken in, but that was fun. Now it eats everything. It carrys really well in a Milt Sparks Watch 6.

The Springfield EMP 9mm offers a lot of gun in a small package. The EMP is a jewel. Regards, Richard

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mfitzwater View Post
    I have been planning a purchase of a 3" 1911 and had my heart set on a Kimber Ultra Carry but have recently read several threads that have me second guessing a Kimber Ultra II. What other options are out there? Please compare the Kimber to any other pistol that you would suggest and why. Thanks in advance for the help in my decision I know I will receive.
    Colt Defender, cause it's a Colt. Last year I want a Kimber Ultra, but I've been really turned off by their marketing methods and pricing. They want the Gun Retailers to purchase in "huge" lots and display "their" weapons only in prime spots, clearing out all those others. The quality of their pistols don't quite live up the the price or the hype. IMHO
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links