Taurus 24/7 pro question

This is a discussion on Taurus 24/7 pro question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm trying to help my father pick out a gun for concealed carry, which will also be a home defense gun. Price wise, we have ...

Thread: Taurus 24/7 pro question

Taurus 24/7 pro question

I'm trying to help my father pick out a gun for concealed carry, which will also be a home defense gun. Price wise, we have come to the conclusion that the 24/7 pro might be a good choice for him. From what I read, it appears to be a good reliable gun. Do any of you have any experience with it?

Also if you use it as a carry gun, how do you like it for that?

My last question is on the ones that have the dovetailed sights, do you know of any aftermarket sights for it? He has a hard time focusing on normal white sights. I have a fiber optic sight on one of my guns and he likes it much more than a standard sight. So aside from normal tritium night sights, are there any other brighter fiber optic sights out there made for this gun? My searches are coming up with nothing. I find stuff for pretty much every other gun, except this one.

2. Remove Ads

I loved mine. I'll do anything and everything you want it to do. I'm almost sure that most of the big brand nite sights will fit on the gun.
    God Bless America!!

Not sure about the sights, I know you can do a straight 8 night sight. The only problem I had with mine was finding a good concealed carry holster. even most of the custom makers don't have holsters for that gun. Other then that I would say go for it, or spend the extra 80 and get an XD
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    Not sure about the sights, I know you can do a straight 8 night sight. The only problem I had with mine was finding a good concealed carry holster. even most of the custom makers don't have holsters for that gun. Other then that I would say go for it, or spend the extra 80 and get an XD
    I got a Galco Concealable for OWB and a CTAC for IWB for my 24/7 Pro. Mine has the Heine sights. I liked the fit and feel of the gun and so far have had no reliability problems. Mine is the 45cal. I like the gun but am not too fond of the Heine sights. You frequently read negative about Taurus quality. All I can say to that is my 24/7 Pro works for me.

I carry the 24/7 Pro Compact 40 S&W. The holster I use is a Don Hume J.I.T. that I purchased from Gunners Alley. I've contacted UBG about a holster, he said it would not be a problem, I have not got around to placing an order yet.

I like the Heinie Straight Eight Sights, but it took some time before I got to that point. If you visit Taurus Armed.net - Index and do a search you will find some threads about sight replacement.

hope that helps.
    "The Army and the Navy are run like traditional military services. The Air Force is run like a corporation. But the Marine Corps is a religion." — Navy Admiral

University of Science Music and Culture

SEMPER FI!

My avatar shows the 24/7 in the Hume holster.
    "The Army and the Navy are run like traditional military services. The Air Force is run like a corporation. But the Marine Corps is a religion." — Navy Admiral

University of Science Music and Culture

SEMPER FI!

I am thinking about getting my wife that same gun...I have never shot one myself, but she likes the way it feels in her hand. I myself have a Kimber.
    "Dont be afraid to go after what you want to do, and what you want to be. But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price." - Lane Frost

there great, if the round dosen't go of it becomes a double action and the round can be restruck without having to manually chamber another round.
    As far as CC it stays close to the body and thin enough to conceal with a t shirt for me.
    The Heine sights that come with them are made by Taurus under their name after market sights don't fit as I believe the dovetail size is custom to Taurus.

You may want to look at Fobus holsters, thay make a paddle and belt holster for the 24/7. I've used there paddle holster for S&W 36 for a couple of years, very comfortable for all day carry. The Taurus is a great gun for the money.
    What you think you know.... Can kill you!

thanks for the replies

I'm going out of town today to a few gun stores, so all the prompt replies will help me a lot! Will get a chance to hold one of these again, which will help me as well. Nobody locally has them.

Regarding the XD, I have one and I love it. Dad was looking at them yesterday. He just isn't sure he wants to spend that much more. He has a gun he'll trade off on whatever he gets. So his cost is going to be whatever the difference is. Right now it's only about $90 if he has them order the Taurus 24/7. Otherwise with the XD it's going to be close to $250 with the local prices.

Normally $250 wouldn't be a problem, but he just had to replace his hot tub cover so cash is tight! Only thing I can recommend to him is to wait a bit and save more.

Links