New Pistol

This is a discussion on New Pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking to get a polymer sidearm. I have a XD .40 in 4" and 3" and was thinking of getting one in .45 or a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Pistol

New Pistol

Looking to get a polymer sidearm. I have a XD .40 in 4" and 3" and was thinking of getting one in .45 or a M&P in .40 or .45...

The recoil seems easier to handle in .45 - I have a kimber 1911 and know that it is going to be alot heavier and that corrects alot of this, but wondered how it does in poly firearms...

I want something that starts in a "4" as they say - I am not that fond of the 9mm...

I am just a tad happier with the feel of the M&P but do wish I had the capacity that the XD had in .45. If it did that would be hands down the choice. I also like the different backstraps available there...

Either one I go with will be ordered with night sights on it.

I do like the compact XD with the grip cut down in order to conceal easier - I have trouble concealing my other XD, and indeed even my 3" XD because of their bulkyness though and wondered what everyone thought about the concealability of the M&P - it seems easier b/c of its smoother design and I believe it is a tad narrower.

So... Weigh in please. I am interested in opinions, facts, commentary

2. Remove Ads

I have a M&P .40c and it conceals great. It's a little bigger than say a Glock 26 or 27, but it is still small enough to hide easily. The recoil is some what tamed in the .40 it seems compared to other compact .40s.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

That sounds good. I really like the feel of that firearm. I haven't carried my XD's or even my USP compact sense getting my 1911, but would like to have something that concealed nearly as well that had higher capacity and was lighter... I dunno. I need input lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post
    I have a M&P .40c and it conceals great. It's a little bigger than say a Glock 26 or 27, but it is still small enough to hide easily. The recoil is some what tamed in the .40 it seems compared to other compact .40s.
    I agree. The MP 40c is right in between the G26 and G19 in size and is easy to carry. The recoil is much less than any other 40 I have shot and more in line with a 9mm. The grip size back straps are great to have to customize to your needs. I plan on getting a full size in the future.

I carry mine as a primary.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Would the recoil on it be comparable to a .45?

I like my Kahr P45 due to it being so easy to conceal. At 6+1 capacity, it isn't bad but the XD-45 compact beats it in that respect. You have a lot of guns to choose from!
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

So many guns, so little money LOL!!!! That's why I narrowed it down to these two. Just trying to decide on which one, then the calliber if its the M&P :)

Does anyone know of a 13 round magazine for the M&P?

VIP Member
    I have both a XD45 4" and a Kimber Tactical Ultra. The recoil is much milder in the XD. I haven't shot a M&P. The XD stays at home because it's the wife's favorite, I carry the Kimber daily.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I have an XD .45 Service and I carry it daily. My 1911 is a paper puncher since my XD purchase. That said, I love the 1911 at the range as the recoil is more manageable and the length of the gun lends to easy long range shooting. I carry my XD for capacity and because it indexes better for me. I also like the M&P but I have only shot a few dozen through one so not enough to give a fair comparison.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by OldTXCop View Post
    I have both a XD45 4" and a Kimber Tactical Ultra. The recoil is much milder in the XD. I haven't shot a M&P. The XD stays at home because it's the wife's favorite, I carry the Kimber daily.
    I have both guns a well, only I plan to carry my Kimber (carryign a G19 at the moment) and the XD45 sits in the safe. I totally agree on the recoil level, One reason I bought the XD was its total ease of use when firing, recoil-wise.

See the Sponsor Buy Sell and Trade Section. C4 has a sale on some M&P's and they look like a great price.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Seems like you're an XD man, why dont you just stick with them?
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

sounds like ur only prob with the XD is its thickness.
    so get a single stack! if the smaller capacity bothers you, then stick with what ya got. the only way you can get more concealability than a XDsc is to go thinner

I shot a friend's M&P 45 this weekend and I really liked it. I have a Colt Commander and Sig P220 because I prefer single stack guns, but the M&P felt great and handled great. I've decided it's going to be my next gun, but I don't have any problem concealing a full size gun.

Incidentally, the M&P seemed to have less recoil than my Colt and Sig, but that might have been an illusion since I had been shooting a .44 Mag right before the M&P.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links