Questionable quality on secondary gun

This is a discussion on Questionable quality on secondary gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After purchasing a Baby Eagle .40 about 3 months ago for the wife and taking it and her shooting, I decided that I REALLY liked ...

Thread: Questionable quality on secondary gun

Questionable quality on secondary gun

After purchasing a Baby Eagle .40 about 3 months ago for the wife and taking it and her shooting, I decided that I REALLY liked it and wanted one for myself.

So I ordered another one (for the wife as a home defense weapon), and kept the now used one for myself.

Well lack of funds and time, it has not been shot yet. Earlier this week, I gave it it's initial cleaning to remove the shipping grease/oil while I was cleaning mine of lint.

I noticed that the slide on the new one as compared to my carry is very loose (READ - excessive play in the slide both laterally and horizontally).

First off I am really disappointed in finding this. Magnum Research/Israeli Military Industries has always had exceptional fit and finish on their guns.

I contacted them via e-mail and this is the response I got.

I would suggest firing the pistol first and see what the accuracy is like. If the pistol does not shoot well you can send it in for service.

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Friday, January 11, 2008 1:50 PM
    To: Info
    Subject: Magnum Contact Form from website

Contact information from magnum website
    Name: *****
    Address: ***** Street
    City: *****
    State: Colorado
    Zip: *****
    Phone:
    Fax:
    Email: *****.com
    I own these Magnum firearms: Baby Eagle .40 full size (x2)
    Desert Eagle Mark VII .44
    Comments: I purchased a second Baby Eagle .40 full size a few months ago. I recently gave it it's initial cleaning (It has not been fired yet) and noticed that compared to my first BE .40 full size that the slide on the second has what I would call excessive play.

My primary BE is very tight for lack of a better description (no play in the slide). The second has audible and visual movement both vertically and horizontally (it appears that maybe the slide rails were machined too much.

Is this something that I should send in for replacement or repair? I can not see that typical firing for break in will remove the play in the slide.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Opinions?
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

I do not have, nor have I ever had one of these guns. So I don't have a dog in the fight so to speak. However, I think you should shoot it. A loose slide may nor may not effect the gun. For years Colt 1911 were praised for there loose slides as a way to keep the gun reliable.
    I would say if you shoot it and it work and is accurate you can live with the play in the slide. If not send it back.

Just my 2 cents.

VIP Member
    I personally believe every gun has a personality of its own and deserves the benefit of the doubt. I have seen guns with what would be called excess play that were very accurate and reliable and some that weren't. I have also seen some which were nice and tight that were not accurate or reliable and many that were.

Try it. See what happens. Be sure when you try it that you run a good number of rounds through before making a decision. With semi-auto pistols I usually run at least 500 rounds through before I will carry it. I want to test it thoroughly. If I have minor problems I want to find the cause and then retest. My Colt Mustang had a weak mag spring in the original mag. The new mag solved the problem. My Norinco has a problem with certain ammo. I am retesting this week end with a second box of the same ammo and a new box of WWB. I plan to fire full mags of each and do a few of the two randomly placed in the mag. I suspect that I will find that Blazer Brass does not work well no matter where it is. That is an individual pistol idiosyncrasy and will not affect the overall reliability of the gun. I don't buy Blazer Brass. It was a Christmas present.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I fail to understand how anyone can take a NIB gun home from a gunshop
    without giving it at least a cursory physical inspection and function check.....

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

It sounds fine to me. A lot of handguns are fitted rather loose and function just great. Some of the really tight ones that are poorly assembled by less than the best fail a lot.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Assistant Administrator
    It does strike odd when comparing this one with the previous - as tho tolerances have been shoddy (Friday night assembly?!).

However, on balance I'd rather have some slop than too tight and, the main thing is whether barrel lock up itself is as it should be. This will IMO determine the final results.

MR's response was somewhat ''brief'' I admit!!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    As long as the slide and barrel lock up consistently and the sights are mounted on the slide the pistol should shoot quite accurately. Certainly it should be more than accurate enough for any and all realistic self~defense distances.

That being said - you paid your good money and you should be satisfied with your purchase so should it prove not to be up to your expectations then return it and they will more than likely fit you with a new slide.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    I fail to understand how anyone can take a NIB gun home from a gunshop
    without giving it at least a cursory physical inspection and function check.....

The gun was given the cursory when it arrived at my preferred gun shop, disassembled when I got home, then 100 shots with a snap cap.

My carry weapon is identical to this one. The reason for the purchase was a secondary home defense weapon for the wife.

I did not notice the play until after I cleaned the shipping goo (it is thick stuff) and started to work in the safety when I noticed the unusual sounds. That is when I saw the play in the slide, and compared it to my carry.

Still have the lack of funds problem for shooting. On job attached layoff right now, so time is not an issue, just $$$.

I will be taking it to a buddies place to do some shooting when I can find some ammo for $11 - 50 rounds. I got a lead on some case lots from another gun shop for uber cheap with cash ($170 - 1000 rnd), but the brand is unknown at this time. I guarantee you if it is Wolf, I will not be shooting. Wally World has the Blazer Brass for 9.95 but I have yet to find a store with any in stock.

Thanks for the input everyone , I will break it in and see how it does compared to my carry.
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    It does strike odd when comparing this one with the previous - as tho tolerances have been shoddy (Friday night assembly?!).
    Do they have the traditional "Miller Time" Friday nights in Israel?
    Sticks

See also Sheep

No, it's Manashevitz time. Actually they shut down around noon to get ready for the Sabbath. They start up again on Sunday, or Monday.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I had a Colt Combat Commander that had an audible rattle. It ate everything and was very accurate, just noisy.

My son has a 9mm Baby Eagle that is TIGHT. His broke in nicely at the range. Shoot yours and see what happens. You might be surprised at your pistol's accuracy - even with a lot of play.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    No , saturday at dusk .

Links