What is a good leftie friendly semi-auto

This is a discussion on What is a good leftie friendly semi-auto within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My friend went to a Sportsman's Warehouse to purchase a Glock for himself and his wife. His wife picked out a nice 9 karat Glock ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a good leftie friendly semi-auto

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

What is a good leftie friendly semi-auto

My friend went to a Sportsman's Warehouse to purchase a Glock for himself and his wife.

His wife picked out a nice 9 karat Glock (G19) and he was going to get a .45 version but he decided not to. His main complaint was that since he is a leftie, the Glock was not very leftie friendly with the magazine release on the left hand side and the ejector shooting off to the right.

He currently owns a P89 and he says it is more ambidextrous. He really wants to get another semi-auto but is in a quandary.

Any suggestions?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    In non .45:
    HK P2000
    HKP30
    S&W M&P 9mm, .40, .357

In .45:
    S&W M&P .45
    G21 SF
    HK45

As far as ejection goes...he'll just have to deal with it.

Distinguished Member
    If he likes the Glock platform, why not a XD, I believe they are ambidextrous.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Lead Moderator
    New HK pistols have ambi slide and mag releases. (P2000 ,ect). However I get along just fine using my trigger and middle finger to release the slide and mag.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Yes, an XD is ambidextrous
    Semper Fi!

Engineers Up!

Lefty here, as well. Like some others, I use my fingers to hit the slide reelase and magazine release. In the case of the CZ P01, the decocker is on the left side of the frame, which works just fine via thumb (with an hour or so of dry-fire practice). After the first week, I didn't think anything of the "righty" nature of the controls. ALL pistols I've had used larger, easier to manipulate controls. That eliminated qualms, fairly quickly, despite not being lefty in nature.

Heckler-Koch has figured out how to make ambidextrous controls a part of the design. Check them out, if lefty is critical.

The key for me is that they be large controls, easily moved and easily accessible. Like the HK USP, HK P2000, many of the S&W pistols (3900, 4000 and 9xx series), and the 1911 style pistols. By comparison, Glocks, SIGs and a number of others have controls that are too small, too tight and too inaccessible for me to manipulate via the left hand.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Lefty Glock

I'm a Glock 19 carrying lefty and the only thing I did to mine was to slightly modify the mag release because it was rubbing the base of my trigger finger. Easy to fix that and I'm still able to hit the mag release with my trigger finger. I have an extended slide release even though Glock recommends against using it as a slide release. If I want to hit it with my trigger finger, I can anyway. An extended release and a spare mag catch (in case you screw up) should cost around 10 or 15 bucks.

If they got the $$$ a P7M8 or PSP.
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

The G21SF is ambi.

When Charter came out with the Southpaw .38, I went looking. I have spent so long adapting to right hand products that I probably couldn't operate it. The only pure left hand thing I have is a Browning A Bolt.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    When Charter came out with the Southpaw .38, I went looking. I have spent so long adapting to right hand products that I probably couldn't operate it. The only pure left hand thing I have is a Browning A Bolt.
    Same here , the Charter would have me scratching my head.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Catalina View Post
    If they got the $$$ a P7M8 or PSP.
    HK P7's and P7M8's are 100% ambi. Now that I think about it, so is my P2000sk. I would go with the P2000sk based on price.

M&P is ambi also. I have the 9C and it makes a nice carry gun. Just recommended it to my brother who is a southpaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    The G21SF is ambi.
    Big +1 for the Glock 21sf, Great pistol!!!
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

Lefty here as well (just to qualify). I have an HK USP compact .40. The mag release is ambi tucked under the back of the trigger guard. I use my left middle finger to use it, I guess my thumb is a bit short, otherwise you could use your thumb for it. The slide release on the left has enough surface area that it is easiest for me to use my left index finger to use it. Like most lefties, once you get used to doing it a couple times, it really becomes second nature. So for me it's a non-issue. Like others have said, the HK P2000 is truly ambi or you can get the USPs ordered in numerous variations that set it up in a more lefty friendly version. I just didn't find it necessary.

On the other hand, I've handled a S&W Sigma with the normal right handed controls. I have no problem with the mag release, I use my left middle finger same as on the USPc. But the problem is with the glock-like slide release, that has hardly any horizontal surface area. I can't get it reliably with left index finger like I can with my gun. So for me the only hangup lies with the slide release.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links