kahr/xd extended ported barrels

This is a discussion on kahr/xd extended ported barrels within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I am looking for information from anyone that might have experience with extended ported barrels installed in the kahr k9 or springfield xd pistols ...

Thread: kahr/xd extended ported barrels

kahr/xd extended ported barrels

Hello,
    I am looking for information from anyone that might have experience with extended ported barrels installed in the kahr k9 or springfield xd pistols in 9mm, 40 or 357sig. Do these extended barrels reduce recoil about the same amount as the factory ported barrels? I had the chance to shoot rental guns (G19C and G23C) at an indoor range and liked the way they reduced the recoil and improved the shot times. I have read on the forum that factory ports darken the front sight after a while so I was considering trying the extended barrels.

I know from reading posts about ported barrels that there are different thoughts about ported guns, but the ported glocks had way less muzzle flash and recoil than the .357 SP101 that I have been shooting.

Thanks for your thoughts,
    BRS

2. Remove Ads

Never shot a gun with a ported barrel that wasn't extended. My wife's carry gun is a K9 with extended 4" ported barrel. It helps reduce recoil quite a bit, but considering it's a 9mm there's really not much to begin with. My wife finds it comfortable to shoot, and if it's comfortable for her to shoot then she's comfortable carrying it - which is what matters.

Contrary to what people say there is no magical fireball that comes flying up and blinding you. We've shot hundreds of rounds indoor lights low/out, and outdoors at night with minimal flash, and can still easily see your intended target. The sights on this gun don't get dirty enough that it's an issue. We've put 400rds through it in one session, and could still see the white dot clearly on the front sight.

Josh, thanks for taking the time to reply and post the great pictures of the Kahr. I think I will order the extended ported barrel for my Kahr and the xd 357sig.

Josh,

have you shot it from retention yet?

Links