Finally...

This is a discussion on Finally... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I got home from work last night, and my dad says, "There's a message for you downstairs from State Police. You can go pick ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally...

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar

Talking Finally...

So I got home from work last night, and my dad says, "There's a message for you downstairs from State Police. You can go pick up your Firearms ID Card anytime."

So I check the message, and it says anytime, so I think...well, it's 1830...maybe I can get it now. So I head down to the police barracks and sure enough, they do mean anytime. Sign here, here, and here. Walk out with my FID and my two permits to purchase a handgun.

Ok, so this story started back in mid-May (right after I turned 21)...NJ has to do a full background check and everything through NJSP and then the FBI, this is before you're given an FID or purchasing permit. Here it is, 3 months later, and I'm finally able to go buy my two pistols.

I'm definately going to have one before the end of the week, the other I may get sometime next week, we'll have to see, but I figured I'd let everyone know that I can finally purchase my pistols :) Can't wait to pick up the USP and Ruger :)

--Jim

P.S. - Sorry I've been gone for the last week+. The state fair was in town, and my squad does all the first aid on the grounds. So for 10 days+, I was at the fair for at least 12 hours a day. (Usually longer...) But I did miss being around...
    Last edited by firefighter4884; August 16th, 2005 at 09:54 AM.
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

2. Remove Ads

GREAT NEWS Jim!! Glad to hear you "passed the test"... Hope you have lots of fun handling the toys out there for purchase, and good luck !

Administrator

Thumbs up Congrats Jim!

I KNOW you'll be staying in touch to let us know how those nice guns shoot.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

QK...

if the Ruger is anything like my friends, I'll love it forever :)

and the HK...well...I'm biased...so :)

--Jim

Assistant Administrator
    Jim - great news - if somewhat sad that you have so many hoops to jump thru.

As QK said - we can I think rest assured, you will ''reporting in'' soon with reports!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Chris

I have a half day scheduled on Thurs or Friday to head down to Rays (over an hour drive to the nearest range / sport shop that sells / carries HK products) to pick up the USP c.

The Ruger...I might stop and get it on the way home from work tomorrow as Ramsey's is far closer to home then Rays is.

Range reports? Probably not until after I get back to school, although I might put a few rounds through the HK down at Ray's.

--Jim
    Last edited by firefighter4884; August 23rd, 2005 at 04:35 PM.

Congrats. I know you are happy. Just sorry you had to go through such hoops at all.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Assistant Administrator
    As and when Jim

But I am certain you will be typing out something for us later on.!!
    Chris - P95

Lead Moderator
    How bout a comparision of the ruger and HK ? I am partial to my USP, but have had it for about 13 years.

Rocky...

the ruger is a .22 LR target pistol, meant for plinking at the range and for teaching myself technique.

It's also nice for taking friends to the range.

The USP is a .40 Compact (at least that's what I'm looking at)...and is designed for a completely different job...

Could I compare them, probably, but it would be like comparing apples to oranges :)

I ordered both the USPc and the Ruger from a local dealer (I found a guy who is REALLY local, and does it as a sideline business.) I should be picking them up today (if he calls me, they were supposed to be in...)

I ended up with an HK USPc in .40S&W (I was looking at a P2000, but couldn't justify the extra money...considering I really wanted the DA/SA that I could carry either Con. 1 or Con. 2 (after I'm out of state...)

I have a range date set for Monday with a good friend from school. I'll try and put both the firearms through their paces and share my feelings. I'll also be introducing her to shooting for the first time.

I'm happy so far...but I'm now waiting on that darned call...

--Jim

Assistant Administrator
    Waiting is always a drag Jim - always was and always will be. Tho sometimes it does add ''spice'' such that when you finally have sweaty hands on the ''goods'' - you enjoy it that bit more.

Look fwd to a report once you get to the shooting bit!
    Chris - P95

Good Deal glad ou got your permit You will Enjoy the Ruger and the HK usp i have both but my usp is the fullsize in 45 still a great gun .. Not quite like old slabsides but still good

Lead Moderator
    Glad to hear you got the permit, that's just for purchase isn't it? Sometimes I think NJ is the only State worst than Maryland...... But there is still NY also.

Is CC just about out of the question there like it is here?
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

yeah, permit is for purchase only. CC is not out of the question...but it's nearly impossible to get.

NJ is a may issue state. You basically either have to know the judge that is going to hear your case, or be able to demonstrate a need (IE, carry large sums of money for work). Even then, from what I understand, you have to start working to reapply for your CCW as soon as you recieve it, because it takes almost that long (the time the permit is good for about the same amount of time that the paperwork takes to get submitted and approved.)

You can also carry as a retired LEO, with the right permits.

To make life more fun, NJ frowns on HP ammo. It's possible to buy it, but you're not really suppposed to put it in the gun...(figure that one out...). Apparently this is true for retired LEO's also, although I haven't been able to confirm it...

Most of the people I know that have a fire arm for SD load it with Federals EFMJ rounds (sort of a loop hole...).

NJ Drives me nuts. I wish I could CCW, although as a college student, I wouldn't be able to carry it into the VDZ around school anyway. Oh well, at least I'm off campus so I can keep them close.

(I'm supposed to be storing a buddy's pistol after he gets it too...)

--Bud...I'm planning on a Kimber Custom TLE II/RL purchase for next year (I think...depending on job situation and stuff...) So I am looking for an old slab sides :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links