Which SIG?

This is a discussion on Which SIG? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by P95Carry Ex - great success story - you must be proud! In point of fact, I am DAMNED proud of the way ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which SIG?

Smile Kids are Great...especially when they grow up and marry!

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Ex - great success story - you must be proud!
    In point of fact, I am DAMNED proud of the way we raised her. Proof is that her husband is the VERY first boyfriend of her's I ever liked, and she married him. Kid comes from great stock: His dad is retired 06 Naval Intelligence, personal buddy of Ollie North.

She's 24 and now two years out of college in Business, she is a senior manager for a big women's clothing chain...got her own store and in two years she is earning almost what it took me 16 years as a teacher to gross. I knew I shoulda been a doctor!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

Wink Ehhhh What's UP, DAK?

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Oh and has anyone tried one of the DAK Sigs? I've heard those are neat.
    I haven't FIRED one of the DAK's yet but I hear it's as close to the ParaOrdnance LDA action that can be done.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I've had the 228 (which I loved, and would love to get another, due to it's size and mag capacity. I've also had the 226, 225, 239. I very much prefer the 228 though..
    I was taken thru the Sig plant on a guided tour for possible employment, and the place is spotless. They were running the 229's on the OKuma CNC centers and also the new Sig GSP ?? (the 45 acp pistol) All the slides are milled out of bar stock, which makes them so strong. VERY tight ship they run in Exeter Nh

Cool Kids Progreession with guns...

Quote Originally Posted by JT
    Sounds like you raised her right.

My daughter is six. I got her started with a BB gun at 5. It is always treated like a real gun, including being stored in the safe with the rest of them. Every time we shoot, we go over the Four Commandments of gun safety. She is already asking how old she has to be before she gets to shoot the 22. I told her in depends on how much she practices with her BB gun and how well she follows the safety rules. On a semi related note – she has a Barbie house with three levels. She decided that each level would be an apartment. She then got a rifle and handgun (from the various GI Joes that I bought for when I play Barbies with her) and put one in each apartment “for protection”. Yep – I was pretty proud of her.

My wife has a Glock 19. She originally had a Ruger until she tried my Glock and decided she wanted a Glock instead.
    You know what worked great for me when my daughter was six? We made a game out of disassembling and cleaning and reassembling my guns when I got home from a match. She picked up on nomenclature real QUICK! She picked up on the three main rules of gun safety even quicker. She liked getting dirty with the gun crud so I let her help me clean certain parts of various weapons. I think I let her sit between my legs and hold the Ruger 10/22 WITH me as I fired some rounds so she could get used to the feel of it. This was when she was 7 or 8.

We kept that up until she was 10 and I started her off on my Ruger 10/22 rifle. Position, seated with her elbows braced on the insides of her knees. Rock solid position. Later on she went to the Ruger Super Single Six .22LR/.22WMR. Stayed with that before moving to my Browning Hi-Power 9mm and she discovered that all the moving steel of the slide and such was too much of a distractor. SO, she's a revolver gal. My wife OTOH, is a 1911 chick all the way!

That's fine by me. Since I gave the daughter my SP101, I now have an empty hook on my safeplace door. So I need a replacement. Don't think I want another SP101, so now I have decisions....decisions.....Ruger Alaskan 454/45LC? ParaOrd TAC-4 in the SpecOps finish? Sig P220 STS with SureFire X200 gunlight? Hmmmmmmm

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    My wife OTOH, is a 1911 chick all the way!
    Nothing wrong with that, you should but a 1911 to fill that empty space she would love you for it.

Let me throw out another vote for the P220, but out of the 2 you listed I would go with the 226.

The Sig 226 in the full size 220 class pistol (both similar if not same frames just that the 226 is a double stack 9mm)
    The 225 is a single stck 9mm that is the same size as the 228. The 229 and 228 are same size, but the 229 has a stainless steel slide and not a casting like the 228 ( I like the 228 better cuz it's lighter) I've toured the Sig Plant back last year when they were doing R&D on the GSP pistols. They were runnig the 229s for the Govt at that time. The 239 in 9mm 357 Sig, or 40 cal would be a nice weapon to carry. The 245 is a bit large though for my taste. Either way, you can't lose with any of the choices given.

VIP Member
    My duty gun is a P229 in .40 S&W...it's a good shooter, I don't carry it off duty since I actually shoot other guns better, like my Kahr 9mm's and my Berettas.

Last week I shot a P220 .45 ACP tuned by Ernest Langdon (EL) before he gave up LTT when he accepted a position with S&W. The gun is owned by PW, the administrator of the Beretta Forum. WOW! What a gun! I did not want to return it to PW. If EL where ever to return to tuning Sigs and Berettas, I would be "forced" to purchase a P220 so he can work his magic on it.

I also shot PW's P229 DAK in 357 SIG....another great gun. I prefer the DAK trigger to HK's LEM trigger myself.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Oh and has anyone tried one of the DAK Sigs? I've heard those are neat.
    Trigger wasn't bad. It also wasn't as good as my regular Sigs.

I'd carry one if it was the only Sig I could get or was authorized, but thankfully neither is required.

As a civilian evildoer, I like my DA/SA, thanks.

DAO only does nothing for me if I can get better.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH
    The 229 and 228 are same size, but the 229 has a stainless steel slide and not a casting like the 228 ( I like the 228 better cuz it's lighter) .
    228 isn't a casting - it's stamped and formed around the breech block. The pre-.40 era 226s were stamped as well and clock in at about 6 ounces lighter, which I prefer in 9mm. 225 is the same construction, as are many of the 220s out there.

As odd as it is, I never had a problem with the DA/SA transition. I knew where the drop and reset points were, and I just shoot the thing.

DAK for the old school Sig dudes is a solution in search of a Glock.

(Ok, I couldn't resist my cheap Glock shot for the year. :) )

Thumbs up Agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp
    As odd as it is, I never had a problem with the DA/SA transition. I knew where the drop and reset points were, and I just shoot the thing. DAK for the old school Sig dudes is a solution in search of a Glock.
    I'm exactly the same way. I have a Glock M27, but I prefer my Sig P245 and I'm looking to up the ante with a full size (Hi-Cap) H&K USP 45. THat will either be the variation #1 trigger which is a TDA (Traditional Double Action) or their new LEM trigger. In any case, I see no evidence of a diminishment of accuracy or speed no matter what action type or caliber I'm shooting.

I carry a Sig P-229 daily and I like it. I have had a P-226 and a P-228. The 228 was probably my favorite Sig. I carried a P-225 for a little while and it was a dream to carry. In my oppinion the P-225 is the best carry gun for a civilian.
    Take Care,

Shannon
    www.microholics.org

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by shannon
    I carry a Sig P-229 daily and I like it. I have had a P-226 and a P-228. The 228 was probably my favorite Sig. I carried a P-225 for a little while and it was a dream to carry. In my oppinion the P-225 is the best carry gun for a civilian.
    Just wondering, why the 225 over the 229?
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

The P-225 is a single stack and it just conceals a little better. Even though I view it as the best carry gun, it is not what I carry. Still I might get me one some day.
    Take Care,

Shannon
    www.microholics.org

I have a Sig P229 in .40S&W. I have had it almost a year now and use it for daily carry. I shoot it very well and it's a fine weapon. It's easy to handle, easy to maintain and points well for me.

That said, it is heavy and wide IMHO. I am 5'8, and 165 pounds. It is difficult for me to conceal it well during the summer due to my body size. I am going to have to get something different for everyday carry. It's a shame, because I really like the weapon.
    People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to violence on their behalf.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links