Which SIG?

This is a discussion on Which SIG? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, Iím thinking about getting my first SIG, probably in 40 S&W. maybe in 9mm. No real need, I just want one. My question for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which SIG?

JT [OP]

Which SIG?

Ok, Iím thinking about getting my first SIG, probably in 40 S&W. maybe in 9mm. No real need, I just want one. My question for you SIG experts is whether to get the 226 or the 229. I know the 229 is suppose to be compact, but there is little difference other than the .6Ē barrel length difference. Width is the same. Height is only .1Ē difference. So is there really much difference between the two when it comes to carrying?
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    You won't go wrong with either. I have a 226 in 9mm, and someday I hope to get around to picking up a 229, but in .357SIG.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Assistant Administrator
    JT - while I have not tried the 229, let me say that I have little concern over ''downsizing'' for carry with regard to gun dimensions - or weight come to that. I seek a reliable solid platform and one I control and shoot well.

The 226 for me does this and while quite heavy is still well at ease on my hip. I very much doubt a smaller version would be any advantage as concealment is no prob - or printing issues. I have the ST cos I sweat buckets - just have to keep the few steel items (levers etc) coated with film of RIG or CLP to avoid them corroding.

I got some ex LE 15 rounders and so my carry status is 15+1, and that is +P GD's. All in all I feel this is about my ultimate carry piece and with the CT's fitted even more versatile. I got the night sights as an addition from new and they too are excellent.

Cost is high I have to admit but when it comes to what may save your life - I think it is worth spending what you can manage to get the best for you.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    Take a look at the P239 and the P225. They are the most concealable pistols that Sig has to offer that are fullsized pistol rounds.

The 239 comes in .357 SIG,9mm and .40. The 225 comes in 9mm.

There really is alot of difference in size in the 229 vs. the 226 that may be be apparent by looking at the paper stats, but when grabbing each one, you'll notice a big difference.

The 229 is bascially a 225 with a double stack mag. The 226 is a big gun. I can coceal it with no problem, but the way your body is shaped may not.

Best thign is to try each one and see how you like it. I own 4 Sigs and love them all. I persoanlly think its the best brand out there...

JT [OP]
    Thanks everyone for the input. I carry Glocks, and I am quite happy with them. I just want to get a SIG because they are cool and I donít have one. I was wondering about how well they conceal, just in case I ever decide to give it some carry time. I also like having a little variety around for my kids when they get older. Just in case Glocks donít work well for them. Never know if they will be able to buy a handgun of their own by the time they are adults.

Iím going to get a trade in because I donít want to spend more than $400. As such, it comes down to a 226, 229, or 220.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by JT
    ...Iím going to get a trade in because I donít want to spend more than $400. As such, it comes down to a 226, 229, or 220.
    All excellent pistols. I carry a P226ST in 357SIG. I don't find the size differences between the P226 and P229 to be important or noticeable for carry. Both are sweet shooters, but different. If you want .40, then the 220 is out. Based on what you've said, I would give strong consideration to the P229 in .40. The 229 in 357SIG will leave a huge grin on your face. The good thing about going with .40 is that all you need is a 357SIG conversion barrel, and you are ready to go.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

I had a Sig 229 in 357 sig was a good little gun accurate and crowd pleaser with the booms .. Had to sell it just didnt fit my left handed style

Cool Never show up to a gunfight with a gun whose caliber does NOT start with a "4"

Ok, Iím thinking about getting my first SIG, probably in 40 S&W. maybe in 9mm. No real need, I just want one. My question for you SIG experts is whether to get the 226 or the 229. I know the 229 is suppose to be compact, but there is little difference other than the .6Ē barrel length difference. Width is the same. Height is only .1Ē difference. So is there really much difference between the two when it comes to carrying?
    Not to start a war, but IMHO, a 40 beats a 9 and a 45 beats 'em both. Can't go wrong with the P245. I love mine, it conceals well, comfortable to carry constantly from Miami to Austin Texas and back in three weeks.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

JT [OP]
    Thanks again to all for the input.

I actually carry in 9mm, 357 Sig, 40 S&W, and occasionally 45. I feel well armed with any of them. Usually itís 40 (or occasionally 357) in a Glock 23 in the cooler months, and 9mm in a Glock 26 in the hot months. The reason I may get 9mm is because it is a good round for those in the family that are not as avid shooters or as big of stature as I am. If I go with the excuse for buying it that I may eventually pass it on, it may make sense to get a 9mm. Of course my little girl may surprise me one day and take my 45 instead.
    Last edited by JT; August 16th, 2005 at 09:58 PM.

Thumbs up The Family that SHOOTS together....

I actually carry in 9mm, 357 Sig, 40 S&W, and occasionally 45. I feel well armed with any of them. Usually itís 40 (or occasionally 357) in a Glock 23 in the cooler months, and 9mm in a Glock 26 in the hot months. The reason I may get 9mm is because it is a good round for those in the family that are not as avid shooters or as big of stature as I am. If I go with the excuse for buying it that I may eventually pass it on, it may make sense to get a 9mm. Of course my little girl may surprise me one day and take my 45 instead.
    When I met the gal I wanted to marry, I MADE sure right off the bat. First DATE: Church. Second date: Shooting Range. Okay, got married. Immediately new wife demanded access to MY beloved Government model 45. Solution: Get rid of her M84 Beretta and buy her a Commander 45 w/tritium sights. Next issues, get her kid (now my stepdaughter) trained.

SAFETY first because when we got married stepdaughter was SIX. Taught her starting with the basics. By age 10 she was handling a 22WMR SA Ruger. By age 12 she was shooting a 9mm (we determined she doesn't care for semiautos--too much in motion) and by age 14 we'd settled on a good DAO Ruger SP101 .357. By age 16 she was shooting full house 357 into the 9 ring at 30 feet. Now she's 24, married a year and all I have to worry about is bring her hubby up to her skill levels.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

JT [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    When I met the gal I wanted to marry, I MADE sure right off the bat. First DATE: Church. Second date: Shooting Range. Okay, got married. Immediately new wife demanded access to MY beloved Government model 45. Solution: Get rid of her M84 Beretta and buy her a Commander 45 w/tritium sights. Next issues, get her kid (now my stepdaughter) trained.

SAFETY first because when we got married stepdaughter was SIX. Taught her starting with the basics. By age 10 she was handling a 22WMR SA Ruger. By age 12 she was shooting a 9mm (we determined she doesn't care for semiautos--too much in motion) and by age 14 we'd settled on a good DAO Ruger SP101 .357. By age 16 she was shooting full house 357 into the 9 ring at 30 feet. Now she's 24, married a year and all I have to worry about is bring her hubby up to her skill levels.
    Sounds like you raised her right.

My daughter is six. I got her started with a BB gun at 5. It is always treated like a real gun, including being stored in the safe with the rest of them. Every time we shoot, we go over the Four Commandments of gun safety. She is already asking how old she has to be before she gets to shoot the 22. I told her in depends on how much she practices with her BB gun and how well she follows the safety rules. On a semi related note Ė she has a Barbie house with three levels. She decided that each level would be an apartment. She then got a rifle and handgun (from the various GI Joes that I bought for when I play Barbies with her) and put one in each apartment ďfor protectionĒ. Yep Ė I was pretty proud of her.

My wife has a Glock 19. She originally had a Ruger until she tried my Glock and decided she wanted a Glock instead.

Assistant Administrator
    Ex - great success story - you must be proud!

`
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

You know I considered a SIG very recently myself. I think if I ever get one for the heck of it I'd get a 220. So for the most part this was some good reading.

Then I get to the part about 6 year olds...

JT [OP]
    Just wait until you have one. Theyíre great.

Hmmm I feel I should start OT thread on this which is somewhat humorous.

Oh and has anyone tried one of the DAK Sigs? I've heard those are neat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links