Ruger SR9

This is a discussion on Ruger SR9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to Sportsmans Warehouse today to pick up some 9mm practice ammo, and I just wanted to see what I could drool over at ...

Thread: Ruger SR9

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

Ruger SR9

I went to Sportsmans Warehouse today to pick up some 9mm practice ammo, and I just wanted to see what I could drool over at the gun counter. A guy behind the counter was showing two other guys a Ruger semi-auto. He then offered to let me hold it. It was a Ruger SR9. It felt very good in the hands, and I may pick one up with my tax return. I was just curious if anyone actually bought one and tried it out, as I hear it's new.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post
    I went to Sportsmans Warehouse today to pick up some 9mm practice ammo, and I just wanted to see what I could drool over at the gun counter. A guy behind the counter was showing two other guys a Ruger semi-auto. He then offered to let me hold it. It was a Ruger SR9. It felt very good in the hands, and I may pick one up with my tax return. I was just curious if anyone actually bought one and tried it out, as I hear it's new.
    My Sportman's Warehouse were sold out. But I was told the Glock 17 was not much difference in size & weight. I looked it up and they are close. The SR9 still holds an interest for me. I haven't been able to hold one yet, maybe this weekend at the gun show.

cool gun

yeah that gun is real interesting, my little star bm might get a stablemate.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    I have been a little shy about Ruger pistols ever since I saw a P85 de-cocking leaver depart the slide under recoil. It was left sticking out of a cadets forehead. You might say that the incident left a lasting impression on me as well.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Your Questipn SR9

Picked one up as I liked the 18 round capacity .Ran 175 rounds through it flawlessly and fires just about point of aim from the factory (sights are adjustible)Shot some ball and various HP and recoil is about what you would expect from a 9 . Kind of points and feels a lot like a 1911 in your hand . I do not think I could complain about anything -I really like it !
    My wife and buddy also are fans -Buy one !

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Thanks for the feedback everyone, I did some research on it. It seems the negatives are in the trigger, but I hear it smooths out over time like most Rugers, but other than that it seems like a good gun.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    I was thinking of getting the SR9 myself or the Glock 9, since I dont have a 9mm in my family
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Seems like a good gun, I'd like to shoot one someday. gunblast.com did a very good write up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckledrager View Post
    I have been a little shy about Ruger pistols ever since I saw a P85 de-cocking leaver depart the slide under recoil. It was left sticking out of a cadets forehead. You might say that the incident left a lasting impression on me as well.

I don't blame you if you're shy after hearing that

I fondeled one the other day and yes it did geel nice a real size grip for a double stack .. good trigger pull

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckledrager View Post
    eeeeyoooowww, i guess all brands put out a lemon every once in a while. hope it was not too serious an injury.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I did some research on it. It seems the negatives are in the trigger, but I hear it smooths out over time like most Rugers, but other than that it seems like a good gun.
    From what I've read, removing the magazine disconnect safety helps the trigger as well.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

I had one in my hand at the gun show yesterday. I was not as impressed as I thought I would. The gun, in my opinion, look cheaply made. The safety was too small and awkward. It would have been better if they kept they P90 type safety. Of course the gun show price was elevated. I think I will hold off purchasing one. Back to the EMP I guess.

I'm considering a SR9. If I were to end up carrying one I don't think I would use the safety. I believe I would carry it off safety inside a holster of course where the trigger would be protected from accidental discharge. To date, most of my carry weapons have been DAO with no safety. Should I need to shoot I just want to draw the weapon and pull the trigger.

Links