S&W 686...shoots high??

This is a discussion on S&W 686...shoots high?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a S&W 4", 686 (7) shot revolver .38/.357. I absolutely love this gun. Have had it for over 7 years. The other day ...

Thread: S&W 686...shoots high??

S&W 686...shoots high??

I have a S&W 4", 686 (7) shot revolver .38/.357. I absolutely love this gun. Have had it for over 7 years. The other day I took it to the range and was shooting .38 Remingtons (?? grain) and was shooting at 25 yards and noticed that the shot placements were at least 24" high on the target.
    From 5- 15 yards this thing is a tack driver, but at 25 yds the shots were very high. I would have thought that if anything, the shots would be LOWER than aimed, but these were much higher? Any resons?
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy to carry...

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    24" high? Check the screws on your rear sight, something is probably loose or missing.

2 feet high at 25 yards? Yes, I would have to agree and say that something is loose on the sights.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Try 158 grain rounds. My 686's shoot Speer 158 grain to POA at 25 yards. Regards 18DAI.

You've had it for 7 years and just realized it shot high?

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by something View Post
    Hence why I believe something happened between his 7-15 yard shooting and the 25 yard shooting. Guns don't "just shoot high", at least not 2 feet high at 75 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by something View Post
    This has been a house gun. Last shot it about 4 years ago and not at the 25 yard range.

Something isn't right. Are you using the same sight picture at both distances? If the gun is shooting 2 feet high at 25 yards it would be also shooting high at 7-15 yards. What is the grouping like. If it "tack driving" as you say at closer distances you are probably using a different sight picture at the longer distances. Do you wear prescription glasses? I suggest seeing less of the front sight at the longer distnace and see if things come down.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

NcHornet has hit the hail on the head. It is impossible for the gun to be accurate at 15 yards and 2 feet high 10 more yards downrange. Unless of course the bullet is passing through some kind of very strong force field between 15 and 25 yards. Your sight picture is somehow being altered at the larger distance. 2", ok, two feet , no-way.

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    Something isn't right. Are you using the same sight picture at both distances? If the gun is shooting 2 feet high at 25 yards it would be also shooting high at 7-15 yards. What is the grouping like. If it "tack driving" as you say at closer distances you are probably using a different sight picture at the longer distances. Do you wear prescription glasses? I suggest seeing less of the front sight at the longer distnace and see if things come down.

Yes, I do wear prescription glasses. As far as accurate at 10 yards, that's whats so baffling. You would think that it would be in-accurate at ALL distances. But it's not.
    Next time I go to the range I will be a little more diligent at my sight picture and report back. Maybe I am a "hair" off in lining up?

Like I said if you are shooting high you want to see less of the front sight. I hope this hepls, let us know.
    NCH
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Forgive me for a little math...

Keeping in mind that the sights are on top of the barrel, the gun has to shoot at a slight upwards angle for the point of aim to meet the point of impact. It's a really slight angle. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong, but I think handgun sights are usually calibrated for POA = POI at about 25 yards.

So, I did some math. A .38 special does about 900fps (give or take), so it takes only a twelfth of a second to cross 75 feet. In that same time, gravity will cause a drop of just about 1.2 inches. So, I thought to myself, what angle would make the gun go about (24 + 1.2 - 25.2 inches) over that range? The answer is that the gun is firing at an upwards angle of about 1.6 degrees.

That angle gives you a rise of less than 3/4 inch at 25 feet, and would be practically unnoticable at around 15 feet.

I think your gun is sighted for POA = POI at something like seven or eight yards. If that's true, two feet at 25 yards is right on the money for the normal bullet trajectory. If you have a set-screw rear of some type, you need to lower the rear sight until your 25 yard shots are where you want.

This may be true if you are shooting out of a gun vise. Even then not sure on your calculations, but the mere fact the gun is held in a human hand gives a number of variables. Seeing more of the front sight should raise the bullet and less should bring it back down. 24" is a huge amount to be off.
    NCH
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Not reading anything else into your post my first suggestion is to have another shooter try a 5 shot group. Some one who can shoot tighter than you and then re evaluate.
    I am an American. I vote. I will serve on a jury when called. Its a MEMBERS ONLY thing.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    This may be true if you are shooting out of a gun vise. Even then not sure on your calculations, but the mere fact the gun is held in a human hand gives a number of variables. Seeing more of the front sight should raise the bullet and less should bring it back down. 24" is a huge amount to be off.
    I agree. I was assuming the OP made some attempt to rule out random shooter variables before mentioning this issue. If another shooter gets similar results with the same gun, then I think that lends credence to it being sight calibration.

Links