Bersa Thunder .380 Accuracy?

This is a discussion on Bersa Thunder .380 Accuracy? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bought the wifey a BERSA THUNDER .380 over xmas and I'm having some "issues" with it's overall accuracy, or in simpler terms - lack of. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bersa Thunder .380 Accuracy?

Bought the wifey a BERSA THUNDER .380 over xmas and I'm having some "issues" with it's overall accuracy, or in simpler terms - lack of.

It's a nice little gun (the wifey luvs it), don't get me wrong, but try and shoot consistant groupings at a static paper target at 6-10 yards is like a "Hail- Mary" play. At 5 yards......not so bad. 3 yards.....pretty good.

The wife shoots in the 3-5 yard range so in her mind she's not really having a problem since it's a CCW weapon for her anyways. But when I try and shoot it at the minumum distance I start at, 8 yards.......well lets just say.... WOW!

I admit I/the wife never actually shot this BERSA before I bought it (shot a WALTHER PPK /SIG232 in .380 & a TAURUS Pro PT111/XD Sub in 9mm that was avialable to me for comparison in the sub-compact arena) and searched on-line reviews and the BERSA met with rave recomendations on all sides.

So I guess my "issues" are:
    1. The small 3" barrel - poor accuracy out past 6 yards - normal or not?

2. Serious brand of Ammo problem. - shooting Walmarts "white box" Winchester 95grn FMJ. -they sure eject with serious powder blackening on the casing. The metal isn't burnt from heat, just covered in a thick black layer of soot, which I find makes the gun itself very dirty and require a good cleaning after about 150rnds

3. My large hands gripping this thing, which I find I have to literally squeeze the living crap out of it to prevent feed jams and any HOPE of accuracy, but - it's the wife's- she likes it, so don't sweat it, and keep her targets in close?

4. It's a CCW weapon - NOT a target pistol. So any practical use of it being remotely accurate at say...over 20ft away.....yea... yer dream'n right buddy?

Just a bit of a rant. As long as the wifey likes it........we'll be keep'n it. I'm happy to use my 92FS for my own "accuracy" tests on my targets.

I gotta get me some more coffee.

Thanks
    XD9sc w/CT Laser Grip
    SIGSauer P226SCT (New! w/22lr Conversion)
    S&W 5906
    BERETTA 92FS
    BERSA T380 - RUGER Single Six .22

VIP Member
    The Bersa Thunder is one of my favorite carry weapon. When I bought mine, I felt I had the same problems as you. I bought mine from the dealer at my target range so I had someone to help there if I had problems. After shooting about 20 rounds through it, I was so disappointed with its accuracy. I had the counter man come into the range with me to help me adjust the rear sights. He took my Bersa and bam, bam,bam, perfect accuracy at 7 yards. He then took the target to 25 yards and the same results. So with me, it was that I was used to using a bigger weapon with much bigger grips. I now have over a thousand rounds through it and have no problem putting the bullet where I aim. Try takeing a longer time getting used to it. Also I was using Walmart ammo.

How many rounds have went through this gun? Has it even been broken in yet? Some guns just require a break in period before they are as accurate as they will ever be.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

What are the characteristics of the inaccuracy? Are they completely all over the target, is there any pattern to the inaccuracy?

Is this being shot from a typical standing unrested possition?

Have you tried to sit down with a rest, or does this make any difference?

I have not had any trouble out of my Bersa. It shoots just as good as my other more expensive guns.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

It's hitting - "all-over-the-place" from a standing position.

I plan on "Bench-testing" the gun sometime this week. So I'll keep a close eye on "where" it's hitting and hopfully adjust the sights accordingly. Never actually adjusted sights on any of my pistols - yet.

Also, it's only got maybe 170 rounds thru it. 100 last week, 70 the week before. I never considered the "break-in period" DOUGH!!!!

thanks
    Last edited by cupsz71; January 14th, 2008 at 05:28 PM. Reason: adding more content
    XD9sc w/CT Laser Grip
    SIGSauer P226SCT (New! w/22lr Conversion)
    S&W 5906
    BERETTA 92FS
    BERSA T380 - RUGER Single Six .22

My .380 is VERY accurate and always has been. Bench rest shoot it and see if it isn't a shooter problem. The .380 barrel doesn't move upon firing as other semiautos do, hence the accuracy.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I would shoot from a rested position on a bench. Concentrate on your trigger pull, and grip. You already mentioned that your grip isn't good on it. I think you will find out it is probably you and not the gun. I went through the same thing with my M&P. I'm improving more and more every time I shoot it. It can be a humbling thing. Good luck!

The Bersa that I have is VERY accurate. It did however have a break in time of about 200 rounds before it was accurate. Though I do believe this was more a of a break in for me being use to larger frame guns. If the problems continue check with Bersa.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Good info all! I have a Bersa 7+1 .380 on my radar screen. Thanks!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Suprised to hear it???? First of all, Winchester White Box is typically VERY Inaccurate. I've heard of a few exceptions but the reason most of us buy it is because it's cheap. I found my Bersa to be one of the most accurate handguns I've every owned. Short sight radius does mean the shooter has to focus on the front sight more intensely. Double action I'm lousy with mine but in SA, it's scary accurate with the right ammo. I've found remington UMC ammo to be better than white box and then Fiocchi? (not sure of the spelling) to also be a good mix of accurate and reasonably priced. Focus on the front sight letting the back sight and even the target blur a little and I know your groups will improve. Beyond that it's hard to tell but most people report very good accuracy so keep working with it.

God Bless
    Gideon

In almost all cases the gun is very accurate...the shooter is the variable.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I've got a couple of Kel-Tec P3ATs and a Bersa Thunder380. The Bersa is much more accurate then the Kel-Tec guns. At 10 yards I can bang my dualing tree with 4, 3 inch round targets on each side with ease. I usually carry Corbon and practice with Speer Gold Dot in the Bersa. With the Kel-Tec guns I don't shoot the +P ammo and just stick with the Speer Gold Dot.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Are you shootin' for accuracy, or shootin' to stop a threat? Is this a target gun or a self defense weapon?

I gave up on trying to shoot inside the 10 ring long ago and focused on hitting my target. It's amazing how it all comes together when the focus changes.

Having said that.. I owned a Bersa .380... and promptly sold it for something with a bit more "bite".
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

I have had zero accuracy problems from day 1. In fact, I was shooting metal targets at about 25yds off hand a couple of weeks ago and was surprised how quick and accurate the little .380 can be.

I've had a Bersa .380 for a couple years now and can shoot it accurately out to about 20 yards. I'm not the best marksman either. From my experience, WWB ammo is dirty, and relatively inconsistent when it comes to accuracy. When I shoot my carry ammo it's always as accurate as my aim. I've never had any feeding or ejection problems with any brand of ammo.

My advice is to keep shooting it, and give it a good cleaning/lube after each session. Practice and break-in mean a lot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links