Need to decide on my first concealed carry weapon

This is a discussion on Need to decide on my first concealed carry weapon within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, i grew up around guns and have been shooting for as long as I can remember but I am just now getting around ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need to decide on my first concealed carry weapon

Hi all, i grew up around guns and have been shooting for as long as I can remember but I am just now getting around to getting my concealed carry permit.
    I have quite a dilemma on my hands, what do I get first....a Sig P220 carry, or a XD compact .45...
    I have done tons of reading on this site and many others and I realize that the P220 is a large gun to carry, but I've just got to get one. The second gun that I need to have is the XD. I guess the real question is whether the XD is that much more concealable than the Sig. I plan on getting an IWB holster, probably the MS V2 for either (most likely both) gun(s). I am 5'10", 175 lbs and though I should wear 33" jeans, I usually have to get 34's because 33's are somewhat harder to find. That means that I always have some extra room in my jeans.
    I guess now I'll sit back and listen to what you all have to say.
    Thanks in advance!

PS Down the road I plan on getting myself a Bersa Thunder .380 for a pocket gun

I would say relax. Very few who are drawn to this board stop at three guns. I see you owning both the xd and the sig. I also see you owning a number of other handguns which you are yet to fall in love with. Isn't the future wonderful.

I agree with wvshooter. Your'e hooked, so give in, get the Sig first, the XD the following week, and may I suggest an HK the following week? Oh, by the way, welcome to the forum!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I agree with the above responders. Get them both. Shoot them for a couple of weeks. Order your holsters and other accessories. Then research your next gun purchase. It's a vicious cycle.

with the right set up you can conceal anything.
    a 4" barrel double stacked gun is very carry-able.
    eventually you will get something smaller, but if you really want those guns first, then get them. you can make it work. just maybe not with a tight tshirt (which you shouldnt be wearing anyways

Thanks guys, i was afraid people were going to try to talk me out of the Sig. The biggest dilemma for me now is that I have the money for the XD, so I could go down and buy it tomorrow....but it would take much longer to save up for the Sig than the XD.
    I think im going to practice some patience and save up for the Sig, Ill probably order my holster very soon though.

my first carry weapon was the glock 23 and am very happy with it.
    I am seriously looking tho at the xd 45 compact for a second carry weapon and almost bought it this weekend but have decieded to sell my beretta 92fs first.
    good luck..

First, go buy a used (but in good condition) S&W 442 in .38 Special, a Comp-Tac Pro Undercover IWB holster, a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster and a few boxes of 135 Grain Speer Gold Dot in .38 Special +p or CorBon DPX 110 Grain +p ammo.

That will hold you over till you decide on something else, and will get you out of most things you will encounter if you practice with it.

Besides, everyone needs a snubbie revolver. They are small, easy to carry, reasonably powerful and inexpensive.

Then, go take some shooting classes and borrow a bunch of different guns and gear for those classes.

You will be better off in the end making a choice on your gear after you have spent the value of a few pistols on classes to evaluate how the guns work for you than if you just went out and bought a bunch of different guns to play with, shoot and decide "Nah. Not for me..."

If you have the money for the xd COMPACT, go ahead and get it now, you wont regret, I have the 4" (non compact) and I love that pistol, just wish I had bought the compact because with the extended mags its basically the same gun, 2 guns for the price of one, if you dont like the pistol you wont be stuck with it because they are in high demand, in fact if your truly unhappy and want to unload it I would buy it, (hope wife dont read this) not going to discourage you from the sig, but want to make sure you have something to carry right away, then you can work on alternate carry weapons, you mentioned the bersa 380, I have a bersa ss 45 uc that I swear by, problem with the .45 is you cant find a magazine for it, GRRRR,, actually the reason i bought my xd 45 was that I could not find mags for the bersa 45, but in .380 you can get tons of magazines. cheers and welcome to the site im new myself and have found it to be very friendly.

VIP Member
    Other than verifying the quality of the weapon, it doesn't make a rats sphincter what any of us like! Have you had a chance to shoot these guns, maybe rent them or borrow a friends? You're the one who has to like it bro!

That being said I can offer that I have a P-220 Carry and I do not think it's a B-I-G gun to carry... I really enjoy it.

Now, I'm 5"11" and 235lbs... I also use a Milt Sparks VersaMax-II holster. You might not like carrying it as much as I do but I think it's great!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Get both. And a Ruger Sp101 to boot.

[truly I know Im not being helpful with the above quote, so . .]

shoot both and see what you like
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

Look at a sig p-239 a bit smaller single stack you can get in 40.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wvshooter View Post
    I would say relax. Very few who are drawn to this board stop at three guns. I see you owning both the xd and the sig. I also see you owning a number of other handguns which you are yet to fall in love with. Isn't the future wonderful.
    Sad, sad, but oh-so-true.

Ever considered the thin profile of a 1911 for IWB?

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by isuace View Post
    Thanks guys, i was afraid people were going to try to talk me out of the Sig.
    The only gun we would try to talk you out of is a Hi-Point!

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links