Bersa Thunder .45

This is a discussion on Bersa Thunder .45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings, I am shopping for my first firearm in many years. The city that I live in is going through major growing pains. Seems that ...

Thread: Bersa Thunder .45

Bersa Thunder .45

Greetings,
    I am shopping for my first firearm in many years. The city that I live in is going through major growing pains. Seems that the crime of choice is home invasion w/ robbery as motive. I am looking at various firearms. I should probably invest in a good 12 gauge shotgun, I am considering a CCL. Also have bugetary constraints. I have located a Bersa Thunder .45. Price is good, but it's newer production. My question is...Do any of you own one and are there any issues that I need to be concerned with?
    Thanks.

Buckeyeinok

2. Remove Ads

Mine has been rock solid. Quality gun for the price. Fit/finish aren't 100% (a few milling marks) but you're not paying a premium price either. My slide spring seems a little weak (flings brass back pretty hard, hits the forehead now and then). Otherwise no problems and fed a lot of different ammo through too. Extra mags are pricey, $50, and can be tough to get holsters for (try UBG). Newer production is actually better. I think the very first 45's had a problem off the line. Go over to BersaTalk forums for research.

Thanks Rustynuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    Mine has been rock solid. Quality gun for the price. Fit/finish aren't 100% (a few milling marks) but you're not paying a premium price either. My slide spring seems a little weak (flings brass back pretty hard, hits the forehead now and then). Otherwise no problems and fed a lot of different ammo through too. Extra mags are pricey, $50, and can be tough to get holsters for (try UBG). Newer production is actually better. I think the very first 45's had a problem off the line. Go over to BersaTalk forums for research.
    +1

I've had my UC-45 for about 4 years. It took about a year, but after I worked out some early problems with FTF/FTE (caused by weak recoil springs in some early production guns like mine, as already mentioned by Rustynuts), I've had no complaints and I've now put about a thousand rounds through the gun with no problems.

FWIW, I also have the UC-9 and prefer it to the 45 since it's grip is a little bit slimmer and it holds 13+1 rds vs. the UC-45's 7+1. I like the 45 and aside from what I've already mentioned, they are virtually the same gun and cost the same. It's just the 9 is a slightly better fit for my hand. I have relatively short fingers and the DA pull can be long for my shorter fingers reach, making the grip awkward. However, I'd still recommend either gun to anyone interested in a VERY good, user friendly (especially if you're a lefty) pistol at a bargain price.

"... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

This was my first CCW before I bought a 1911. The firing pin spring on mine snapped at around 1000 rounds and created a lot of soft strikes/misfires. After it was sent in and fixed, it lasted another 3000 rounds before I traded it in. I did take a lot of brass to the forehead with mine though...
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I have a scar where the hot brass lodged between my shooting glasses and my fore head. The brass does tend to come back at you, but it is a great gun and the one I carry in the car.

Several years ago Bersa was a joke like High Point, Cobras and Llamas, but in the recent years they have come a long, long way. There new Thunder line is getting good reviews. I still don't own one but wouldn't rule one out if the price was right. Good Luck to you and by all means get your CCL.
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

buckeyeinok, I am sorry if my Bersa Thunder 45 isn't pretty but the damned thing goes bang every time. I own more expensive handguns but none that I trust more. Regards, Richard

thanks to all who answered.
    rachilders - what are the makes of the holsters and where did you buy them?
    richardoldfield - Hey, I don't care what the gun looks like as long as it does what it's supposed to do. First time,,,every time.
    Thanks again.

Rachilders, where did you get your replacement slide spring? I even sent mine in and they didn't do anything to it!

To answer several questions with one post...

I bought my replacement recoil springs and the paddle holster from Eagle Imports. They import all Bersa products into the US. The nylon holster is a generic Uncle Mikes while the leather holster came with the laser and is designed for use with or w/o the CAT laser installed on the gun. I have also found that many holsters designed for compact (3") SIG's will work with the Bersa UC's as well,especially the UC-9/40.

One other thing; while the UC-9/40 and the UC-45 are of the same design and all the accessories I've found work with either model, the 45 is slightly larger than the other models. Therefore, most parts are not interchangable because of the 45's larger frame & slide.

Here's the link to EI's website... Welcome to Eagle Imports Inc.

"... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

I have the .45 ss, I love this handgun, I hate not being able to find a magazine for it, over 1 year waiting list at bersaguns.com. (hopefully the link above will have some magazines available) So if you are going to buy it make sure you dont have a problem getting an extra mag at time of purchase, or like me you will be stuck without a spare mag, something I think is required for a SD 45, but my solution was different than most peoples would be, I simply bought a second handgun as a BUG, and hope I wont have to reload, accuracy is excellent by my standards, one serious question to the other posters here who I am assuming know a lot more about handguns and defensive ammo than I do, what are you loading your bersa 45 with, I am using federal hydrashok 230 grain but have been told by a few people that I would be better off with the 180 grain because of the 3.6 inch barrel, Anyone elses thoughts? personally since the 230 grain worked well for me as far as reliability I keep those rounds for now, but I am concerned about overpenetration. any helpful hints?

I'm clueless. This is the first I've heard of a Bersa .45.

buckeyeinok, a holster designed for the CZ75 Compact or PCR should well with the Bersa, that is what I use. Regards, Richard

This holster by Ken L. Null works very well and this guy knows how to make holsters:

The Bersa Ultra Compacts have been around four or five years now (I think they began production in '02). They aren't often found at gun shops, but they are seen regulary at most gun shows and in the past year or two the UC-9's have started showing up at some of the bigger chain stores like Academy. As for ammunition, I have tried most everything in my guns and they don't seem to have a problem with any of the ammo I use. For practice I normally use CCI or WWB, but my carry ammo is either Federal Personal Protection (a JHP rd) or a bullet made by Taurus. It's a pure copper, 185 gr hollow point bullet that's a lot like the Golden Saber.

Links