Bobbing A CCW Revolver

This is a discussion on Bobbing A CCW Revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Ruger SP-101 3" for CCW. I'm wondering whether it would be smart to bob the hammer so that there is no chance ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bobbing A CCW Revolver

Bobbing A CCW Revolver

I have a Ruger SP-101 3" for CCW. I'm wondering whether it would be smart to bob the hammer so that there is no chance of a clothing snag in case I have to draw from IWB. I don't believe that Ruger sells any hammerless parts.

The real question is whether there is any reason to keep the hammer for SA firing purposes. I certainly wouldn't hold a burglar at gunpoint in SA mode. Likewise, in a defensive shooting at close range, no one uses SA mode.

The only situation that I can think of in SA mode is a scenario like the Colorado church shooting where the lady CCW holder who emerged from concealment and got the drop on the killer, could have fired SA on her first shot for more precision if she had wanted to.

With a good action job and Wolff springs, the DA pull on a SP-101 can be 6 pounds. In contrast, a good SA pull might be 4 pounds. I'm not so sure that there's that much of an accuracy difference at 5 yards.

What is you advice?

2. Remove Ads

All my conceald carry revolvers that have a Hammer soon find the Hammer "Bobbed".

Ruger may not sell the Hammers and wants too much money to install a Hammer, IMHO, but a Gunsmith can "bob" the Hammer in no time for you. I shoot out to 25 Yards regularly D.A. Only and sometime out as far as 100 Yards. Once you learn how, it's not that hard.

For any self defense revolver I'd suggest getting rid of the Single Action capability. The only exception to this for me is my 3" Ruger GP100 and that's because I want the S.A. capability for coyotes, but the Hammer is still "bobbed".

Biker

I bob the hammer on all my concealed carry revolvers and my competition revolvers. You can certainly pay a gunsmith for the job or you can use the evil dremel to do it.

It is pretty simple-draw a line, use your cut off wheel, smooth and polish. If you want it to look sporty, use one of the 1/8" wire wheels with some abrasive compound and jewel the cut off area.

Dave

I love carrying revolvers but prefer to leave SA capabilities alone. In 30 years of toting I've not found a hammer spur to be troublesome and I want the option to use the revolver in SA mode. I'm more prone to use the revolver in its single action mode than is probably "politically correct" on this forum.

Thumbs up

I bobbed my Mdl. 37 S&W. If I need single action I can still pull the hammer back with Two fingers and a little caution. It works very well. I also dry fired a lot and the trigger pull is nice and smooth.

You might check Brownells, in the "Factory Parts" list. Dunno. I used to believe in DAO in revolvers, but the more I contemplate & shoot, that SA can have a real purpose.

Look at it this way: what do professionals who need to "put it where they want it," and shoot far more per year dynamically than most of us, use? Glocks & SA 1911s predominantly...

For a pocket carried revolver the bobbed hammer makes good sense but I wouldn't bob hammers on my holster carried guns. Why eliminate the single action option?

VIP Member
    I want the option of SA and occasionally target shoot that way with mine, so I haven't touched the hammer. Taking it off, though, will reduce the snag possibility greatly depending upon your carry method. You can always get a replacement hammer if you change your mind later.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

American Handgunner had a S&W 60 a year or so ago with a partially bobbed hammer. They took 80% off the spur leaving enough to get a grip on if you really needed to but eliminating much of the snag potential. I really liked it and intended to have my local smith do the same before he fell off the face of the planet.

Ruger sells the hammer and replacement is easy.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I bobbed my SP101 myself. Dremel cut off wheel and polished it out with a gray, Scotchbrite wheel I have on a bench grinder. It turned out just fine. I can still pull back the hammer for single action fire very easily. Just start the trigger back, double action, and grab hold of the hammer and pull back.

Cloudpeak

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    I have a S&W 649 (bodyguard) that gives the best of both worlds.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    Ruger sells the hammer and replacement is easy.
    I thought the hammer was a "factory install" only part.

Cloudpeak

Lead Moderator
    When I went thru the PD Academy, we only shot in DA mode with the M-66 S&W's . Even at 15yrds, DA can be really accurate, you just need to practice in DA all the time.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Since I shoot most times DAO, having bobbed guns is no problem for me, as a matter of fact other than my two hunting revolvers, my other two revolvers are factory DAO and both are without hammer spurrs. A 3" GP-100 and 2" SP-101.

The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links