FN's Five-seveN® Pistol

This is a discussion on FN's Five-seveN® Pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone had any experience with the FN five-seven pistol or can comment on it? I've held one and it feels fairly light, but well ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FN's Five-seveN® Pistol

FN's Five-seveN® Pistol

Has anyone had any experience with the FN five-seven pistol or can comment on it? I've held one and it feels fairly light, but well made. I was wondering how it handled firing the 5.7x28mm ammo.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Member phaed has one... He is very fond of it - you might consider PMing him if he doesn't see this thread.

Many people seem to be of the opinion that it is a mechanically fine pistol, but that the 5.7 round simply doesn't work well as a CCW/civilian personal defense weapon. I have no strong opinions, because there doesn't seem to be enough evidence (i.e. shootings) with the round to make really good assumptions. I'd very much like to shoot one, though!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I like the idea of a round that has less recoil but I am not convinced of the rounds stopping power or staying power and future price drop. The main problem I have with it is I have medium sized hands and find the grip too big. If the grip could be trimed by robar or someone else I might consider one for home defense/car carry.

I'd enjoy handloading the cartridge for fun but wouldn't take the gun seriously at all.

Unusual gun

I have handled this pistol but not shot it. It is rather large but light in weight, weighing about the same as a Glock 17. Here is a good review of the gun:

FN 5.7 review article

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    The pistol shoots rather nicely. Its trigger is nice and feels familiar to this almost exclusive Glock shooter. Recoil is about the same as a .22 LR from a Ruger MKII. The safety leaver is a bit small and in an odd place. The sights cut my hand when bringing the slide forward with an overhand slingshot move. All of the other controls are user friendly and the mag well is huge and mag swaps are a snap. Not too sure about the round though. Yeah, it'll get through soft armor (the ammo available to me does) but it is expensive and you have to jump through ATF hoops to get it. A regular pistol in hands that can make reliable head shots negates that attribute.

The P90 SMG is an altogether different animal. It is a strange little thing! Its big benefit is its size. Rifle type penetration in something not much longer than a carton of cigarettes. Otherwise, there is no (in my opinion) reason to justify the huge cost, training requirement and change in support gear.

I know that FPS has them both and Houston PD SWAT did for a while. Don't know personally any other agencies using them.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Great gun, recoil is fairly low. bullets are expensive. You are best off if you buy them in big lots. Nice thing is the Vmax defensive stuff and the FMJ are same price, so you can target with your carry ammo. Downside is they come from the factory sighted at some ridiculous distance (something like 350 meters) and it took about 5 or 6 mags to get it sighted in. FN is also now making fixed sights for them, which I recommend if you are going to use it as a carry gun.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Unhappy

I carry the five seveN. It is light and very accurate. It is a full size pistol.
    Yes the ammo for it only defensive only. There is no ball ammo (cheap range ammo). I was told just recently there was a home intruder in the Seattle area was hit in the chest with one round and it took him down instantly and later died at the hospital.
    To close for missiles, switching to guns.

My take on the 57 is that it is bigger than it needs to be and would make concealing difficult. As someone already mentioned it doesn't really work with small hands. The bullets are expensive and not readily available. For a "normal" SD situation, I just don't see it as any better than another "standard" calibre and pistol combination. The odds of coming up on a BG with even soft body armour is rather negligible.

I'd rather have a Glock 17, or better yet my 34, with 17+1 of 9mm than 20+1 of 5.7x28. Just three less rounds and much larger holes. And if you shoot DPX you have almost the same type of bullets as the SS195LF.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    From my reading, it does a great job of pentrating body armour, but does not have great terminal effects. I wonder if you could get the same body armour ability with a 7.62 x25 Tork?

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    From my reading, it does a great job of pentrating body armour, but does not have great terminal effects. I wonder if you could get the same body armour ability with a 7.62 x25 Tork?
    A 5.7x28 vs a 7.62x25 ballistics comparison test would probally make for some interesting reading. I might have to email that guy from "Theboxotruth". I have shot a FiveSeven and liked it alot. You can get 30 round mags for it as well. It is kind of a large gun to conceal, but probally no harder to conceal than a Glock 19. It's too bad they don't make a compact version. With virtually no recoil, even if the round is not as effective as say a .40 S&W, you will be able to make a much better/quicker follow up shot. I would CC one, if I had one, there is just too many other guns I want right now .

Thanks for the comments, gave me enough to have second thoughts...

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    The pistol overall is a Hoot to Shoot. The trigger is the only less than stellar performer IMO. Knuckledrager equated it to a Glock trigger, but then I sold my G17 a while back. The pistol stays amazingly clean for some reason. It was designed for military use and with restricted military ammo, so we civilians can't really appreciate the gun's full value, anymore than we can appreciate what AP rounds from an M16 can do. A pity.

I bought mine more as a collectable than for protection or a range gun. If I were to head to war, it would not be the pistol I grabbed first. I see no real flaw as a self defence weapon. Twenty round of anything from a very reliable pistol is more than lethal.

The military style mags are great. Much easier to load than the standard RONCO THUMB SLICEROMATICS my other pistols use.
    Last edited by ripley16; January 24th, 2008 at 01:23 PM.

I keep looking at them at the gun shows and keep coming up with the same drawback. The grip is just too large to be comfortable. I'd really like to shoot one, but so far I just can't justify the cost of about a grand, give or take. There's also not the wide variety of premium holsters available for use as a CCW.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Did a Qual next to one today. Flame thrower. Awsome overkill.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links