Need some help making my decision...

This is a discussion on Need some help making my decision... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, I'm new to the forum, and I've just recently gotten my CCW for Ohio. I've got a Springfield XD .45 right now, and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some help making my decision...

Hi all,
    I'm new to the forum, and I've just recently gotten my CCW for Ohio. I've got a Springfield XD .45 right now, and I lvoe shooting it, but I'm looking for something a little more svelte for carry purposes.

Here's what I've narrowed my choices down to:
    1. S&W SW1911PD 4-1/4", Novak sight, CT lasergrips
    2. Colt 1911 XSE Lightweight Commander, Stainless
    3. Dan Wesson Commander Classic Bobtail

(Sorry if I'm not using all the correct abbreviations, but I've been reading posts for a while, and sometimes the acronyms read like Greek to me!)

Of the three I have listed, which would you recommend, and why?

Looking forward to your comments!

Raaze

Smile

I have the xd45 compact and carry/love it.

I'll pass on the S&W, but the Colt and the DW are great choices. I love stainless, and everyone will sooner or later own a Colt. The DW has the Bobtail, which I am a huge fan of. I guess if I had to choose, I'd go with the Colt and later have it bobtailed.

Love the DW Bobtail but I'd go with the Colt. Then have it bobbed.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I own #2. Great carry 1911. Had Novak install some night sights and just recently picked up the new 8 rd Wilson Combat Elite mag. Shoots great. I vote...Colt.

Though I would take a look at Kimber.
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Since I dislike Colt as a company, you only have 2 choices. Of those I would pick the Dan Wesson.

Reason for dislike of Colt is that don't like the public to own their guns. They believe only LE and Military have a need for guns. They just starting selling to the public again a few years ago. I will not buy anything from them.

Thanks for the replies thus far guys. I have to admit, the DW appeals to me because of the checkering, night sights, and the bobtail. Those seem like the type of mods I'd want to have done to the Colt anyway. I had Kimber on my list (actually, that was my first choice), but after reading around this board and talking to my dealer I've decided against them, seems like they're a little too hit or miss (no pun intended - and I'm not trying to start an argument here!).

Colt guy here...

I am a long time fan of Colts and have 6 of their 1911 guns, so I am biased in favor of the Colt Commander on your list. I haven't owned or shot the S&W or the DW, so I can't comment on them.

My experience with Colt is that their 1911 guns are solid and well made. I do recommend thin grip panels if you are going to carry it - they reduce grip thickness by about 0.20 inches from stock grip panels, which helps on concealment. Bobtailing is nice but costs about $200, and you may not need it depending on your holster and cover garment.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Those are three really nice options. Given your reason for looking in the first place, I would probably choose the 26oz Colt over the 34oz DW. The S&W is also pretty light @ 28oz.

I've carried a LW Colt Commander for almost fifty years, and it shows it. Need to retire it. But in a .45 I haven't found anything better. My gun got a trigger job, a flat MS housing, and better sights many years ago. I've never found a reason for a bob tail. Ordinarily the Commander hammer doesn't pinch and the bob tail serves no purpose. I haven't any experience with the Wesson.

I have a Colt combat Commander in SS and I also have the CT grips on it, If i was to do it over again i would go with the Novak night sights instead of the CT grips. Laser gets blocked when you have your finger on the frame and the laser on....

I would look at the XD-40SC I LOVE THAT OVER MY COLT FOR CARRY!!!

I don't have any of those 3, but if I got to "pick" one, I'd get the DW just because it has no extra "safety system" like the Series 80 on the Colt or the Schwartz style on the S and W-one less thing to worry about when taking it apart or to make work by depressing the grip safety. That is why I like STI and Springfield. Note-this is just my preference, for what works with my grip style, YMMV, as normal.
    Plus, I want a bobtail gun and think the DW is the best looking of the group!
    What Would Gumby Do?

Tough choice if these are your 3 finalist.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Of the three - I would probably say the Colt. However, I would definitely recommend considering a Springer. For the money, I think Springfield has some of the best 1911's out there.

Good Luck in your search!!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

I carry my DW CBOB every day and love it. It shoots great, is just tight enough without being overly tight, and fit & finish are great. I also like the fact that there isn't an extra set of problems to worry about with no FP safety.

I think that Springers are generally good guns for the money, but I think that the features that come standard on the DW give it the edge here.

A Colt is a Colt, and it's hard to argue with success, but I like the features included on the DW and dislike the whole FP safety thing. I also suspect that you have to pay a few bucks for the Clot name that you maybe shouldn't have to. You have to decide how much that is worth to you.

I've carried 5" 1911s with standard type MSHs and find that the bobtail conceals much easier and never jabbs me in the ribs like a standard MSH tends to. I also think that it's more comfy to shoot than many 1911s with standard type MSHs.

That's what I think. YMMV.
    The keys to winning a gunfight are first to bring a gun and secondly to take your time, quickly.

Always remember that if your opponent is within range, so are you.

POWER TO THE MEPEOPLE!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links