Which 1911, of these two?

This is a discussion on Which 1911, of these two? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; DFWstangs Classifieds - Springfield Armory 1911 .45 - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds DFWstangs Classifieds - S&W 1911 .45 like new - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which 1911, of these two?

Which 1911, of these two?

DFWstangs Classifieds - Springfield Armory 1911 .45 - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

DFWstangs Classifieds - S&W 1911 .45 like new - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

1911 wizards which one of these guns are a better product springfield has been teflon coated and night sights any opinon will help any idea on value
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    I'd go for the Springer, whichever one you pick, ditch the full length guide rod and go back to the regular guide and plug.

What JD said..though I can't give you a good reason. It seems that everyone who has either really likes 'em. I have neither, but I'm thinking that since the Springer has been around longer, tinkering may be a little less problematic.
    The keys to winning a gunfight are first to bring a gun and secondly to take your time, quickly.

Always remember that if your opponent is within range, so are you.

POWER TO THE MEPEOPLE!!!

Springfield all the way. I'm not a fan of external extractors.

"ditch the full length guide rod and go back to the regular guide and plug."
    Those look like 4" models. Most 4" have full length guide rods anyway, don't they?
    -Biker

The Springfield is a better 1911, the S&W's are nice but they just dont have the track record of the Springfield not yet i own a bunch of 1911's 46 now to be exact and a few are S&W and a lot are Springfield. the springer to me is just a more proven company but you cant go wrong with either.
    When the dust settles only the prepared will survive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

remember the only thing common about common sense is that its not that common

Shoot low boys their riding Shetland ponies.

aji
    Have 2 Springers. Both excellent with no problems.

Thanks guys
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I go with the sprinfield too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbiker View Post
    Springfield all the way. I'm not a fan of external extractors.

"ditch the full length guide rod and go back to the regular guide and plug."
    Those look like 4" models. Most 4" have full length guide rods anyway, don't they?

Those look like 5" guns to me. I think that the frequency of FLGRs in either 4" or 5" is the same. Some have 'em, some don't. My 4.25" DW came without a FLGR...which is fine with me.
    The keys to winning a gunfight are first to bring a gun and secondly to take your time, quickly.

Always remember that if your opponent is within range, so are you.

POWER TO THE MEPEOPLE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbiker View Post
    The newer model Champions (4") use a double, captured spring guide rod and have bull barrels (no barrel bushing) so I'm pretty sure the one pictured is a 5". I believe the older S.A. Champions did have bushings and one piece guide rods. (I have a newer LW Champion-bull barrel and captured guide rod).

As far as switching from the full length guide rod back to the original design, a lot of people seem to be in favor of this and it would make dis-assembly easier (no allen wrench needed). I decided to stay with the factory, two piece guide rod in my SA SS 5" because the pistol has been trouble free and the old theory, "if it's not broke, don't fix it" applies.

I am looking for a replacement guide rod on the Champion to go to a single spring, EGW and Wilson make these. I have the EGW conversion but something isn't right about it so I won't know how it shoots until I get that problem resolved. The single springs are much cheaper than buying a replacement dual spring and it would make it very easy to change to a lower spring rate for softer loads in the LW Champ.

Cloudpeak

yep Springer
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    I'm going to say you should buy the Smith just to be difficult- but the Springfield is the one I would buy.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Both are just about as reliable as 1911s can get, but I would go with the Springer because I am not a huge fan of external extractors. Stick as close as possible to the original design of JMB and you cant go too far wrong.

Flame suit on...ducking.... The only 1911 I own is the S&W 1911Sc...It weighs 28 oz empty and makes a great carry gun...It comes with a lifetime warranty and if you need to send it back S&W will pay the freight both ways...You can't knock Springfields 1911's but I like my Smith so much, I will likely purchase a second down the road... You might want to visit 1911Forum.com - 1911 news, reviews, and more! and read the comments under the springfield and smith and wesson forums, you can pick up a good deal of information on both at that site...good luck...
    Lloyd

Eternity is a long time, do you know for certain where you will spend it?

I say get the S&W. I have one and have had zero problems with it. Very accurate, very well built and put together and built right here in the USA.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links