I actually like weight!

This is a discussion on I actually like weight! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know many folks go for the ultra lightweight carry pieces but - I may be an exception. I actually choose weight!! I also know ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I actually like weight!

Assistant Administrator

I actually like weight!

I know many folks go for the ultra lightweight carry pieces but - I may be an exception. I actually choose weight!!

I also know many members here are full size 1911 carriers and so maybe they too have no prob with weight either.

I have shot with several of the lightweights and frankly - I hate em!! Even with 38 spl in a 642 - it feels ''odd'' to say least, as well as being punishing. My SP-101 was as light as I want go in a snub and for semi's well - if I wasn't carrying the SIG ST 226, I'd still be choosing heavy - 1911, CZ-75, etc.

IMO - if you can conceal it - go large and heavy. Bottom line is I reckon you have not only a more robust piece but - an eminently more controllable one too.

I am so used to the weight of the SIG on my hip - and it presents no discomfort to speak off at all. It is however solid, recoil-damping and pretty accurate.

I'll take heavy over super light - any day.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

i love the weight of a Fullsize 1911 with me but lightweights have there place espically when its got to be coverd and you plan on laying down on it and going up and down the stairs etc etc

DC Founder
    I don't really see weight is as much of a factor as size, or more specifically bulk. I don't think of a 1911 as being too heavy, too bulky or in any way too large. To me, it's simply "too good".
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Assistant Administrator
    True Bud - sometimes concessions need made. In my case it'd be downsizing to R9s - which at 17 ounces loaded up is still not quite light but - very manageable. Plus with 6+1 on board of 9mm .... still ''useful''.

I had a P3-AT but sold it - only gun I had sold in ages. That tho was for me - while very concealable of course - just too light.

I think I would avoid tho even so - the scandiums - just not my bag!
    Chris - P95

While I agree with the sentiment, there are certain times when a light weight is a must. Formost being when certain types of exerising is being done.

sometimes weight is a very good thing. It helps to keep the recoil down, and also gives some stability when aiming.

Administrator

Cool Weight

I don't think weight is a factor for any "on or in" holster/belt/waist carry with a good holster AND BELT.
    STRESS: Good Holster - Good Belt!
    Even with a good shoulder holster GUN WEIGHT is not a real problem for me.
    Weight is MORE of a critical factor for other modes of carry.
    It's Hard To Beat a Scandium or Titanium or chopped Polymer Light~Weight for pocket carry. Or ankle carry.
    You sure do not want an all steel .45 blumping around & weighing one overcoat pocket way down on the right or left hand side.
    At least I don't.
    There IS a TRADE OFF for going Light Weight & the reasons ARE EXACTLY as you have mentioned.
    For instance: A Chopped LW Glock 36 loaded with HOT .45 is a 3 fingered handful for some people.
    A Scandium .357 packed with hot Super Fast Bulletos is not a revolver that you want to hand over to GrandMa as a Self~Defense firearm & say: "Here...Carry This For Protection." UNLESS that person gets some good "range time" and practice in with that firearm.
    Chris...As you probably know...it's very possible to get some REALLY GOOD DEALS on some VERY LIGHTLY USED (almost New In Box) firearms in Pennsylvania. (where no range time or testing is required to buy and then carry a firearm)
    Somebody will buy a NICE ULTRA LIGHT WEIGHT - EASY TO CARRY FIREARM - & return it the next day after they SHOT IT TWICE & then they will trade it in to grab themselves a nice .22 rimfire or a .25 semi-auto.
    So...Do I Bite On The Light Weight Guns?
    Sometimes....YES, I do.
    It's really hard to beat a S&W Air~Weight tucked in the Back Pocket of a pair of "Short Shorts" in combination with a T-Shirt...for a hike through the park.
    I'm guilty - I usually Carry Light when the threat is low & the Temps are HOT. In Winter...I gotta "duck out" & Strutt The Mutt around a few blocks - I toss a light weight into my leather coat pocket & I zip right on out the door.
    Since I usually Shoulder Carry sometimes I just don't want to get all "rigged up" just to go out & buy a tube of toothpaste or pick up some Chinese food. So...I'm Guilty!
    Would I RATHER have a Full Size - Full Weight firearm with me all the time? Probably.
    But, since there has not been a murder in my area within the last 50 years...my chances of meeting multiple armed attackers on a walk around the block are mighty doggone slim.
    I'm not recoil sensitive & I practice with the Nill-Weights so...I feel that they will "get the job done" in any close to home scenario that I'm likely to realistically encounter.

OD*
    Chris,

I don't have a problem with the weight of a full size Gov't, as QK stated it's all in the holster/belt design as far as I concerned. I've had any number of 1911s in many configurations, from the Detonics Combat Master, Colt Officers ACP and LT & Combat Commanders.

What I have found to be true for me is, the Gov't carries the easiest. I am not very articulate, but I will try to explain the best I can. With IWB & OWB, I carry at or about the 4 o'clock position. I find that with the 5" Gov't., the barrel hits my upper thigh pushing the receiver (grip, frame which ever you chose to call it) into my side making the gun very easy to conceal.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

Senior Moderator
    The full size 1911 is the only gun I have found I can carry in an IWB comfortably and I have the thinnest, high quality holsters that can be bought. Still the 1911 is the only gun I have found that is comfortable.

But, I do notice the weight of the 1911; I don't find it too much of a problem, I just begin to notice the "pull" after 5 - 6 hours.

As for the full size, full weight 1911, that's my pick by a wide margin. Personally, I just don't trust the Al alloys in 1911s and the chopped down versions other than the commander size. The Sc frame that S&W may be more reliable that the other Al alloys; I guess time will tell.

BTW, FWIW, Caspian won't even guarantee their aluminum 1911 frames. That's got to say something about AL in a 1911.

Assistant Administrator
    QK - ya got me thinkin' - true - some super lights do get traded straight back in. Hmmmm - could be yet worth trying to find a ''steal'' just to have one!

Wonder if I can also find an Alaskan that was traded back in! . Dream on P95!
    Chris - P95

This isn't going to make much sense, but I find when I am wearing casual, comfortable clothes, weight is of no consequence. Dockers and Polo? Break out the lighweights. I can even be using the same belt and rig.

For pure shooting pleasure I love guns that are just a little bit heavy without taking it too far overboard.

Lead Moderator
    weight doesn't matter as much as compactness for summer carry. The only weight consideration, I would want a lite weight for ankle carry.

Fellas, I really love my 1911 and weight is really not a problem. However, with my SW 37 sometimes I forget I have the little fella is on. However, I will probably transition back to the 1911 this fall. Secondly, fellas I wonder how fast a BG will run when my little buddy sounds off with 125 Gold Dots +p. I mean do we forget how violent firing a firearm is just based on the sound. Would you want to be on the recieving end. I doubt it...
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    I don't have any issues with heavier guns either. It's possible that a good belt and a rather abundant midsection spreads the weight out nicely.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

OD*
    abundant midsection
    You too, eh?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links