Purse Pistol for Wife

This is a discussion on Purse Pistol for Wife within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There was just a mugging where my wife works. A woman was knocked down, standing next to her husband, while waiting for the elevator in ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Purse Pistol for Wife

Purse Pistol for Wife

There was just a mugging where my wife works. A woman was knocked down, standing next to her husband, while waiting for the elevator in the parking ramp where my wife works. The BG got away with the purse, and the woman went to the hospital with injuries. My wife goes right through this area and waits for the same elevators over 10X a week for her job. I had been talking to her for some time about protecting herself but she has an excuse for everything and is the "it's not going to happen to me" type....but I think this woke her up because it very easily could have been her.

I am looking for recommendations for a small pistol(and holster) she could fit in her purse. I was thinking a .38, or even a .357(she could shoot .38s in it with the option to moved up to .357). I want it simple(double action, just need to pull the trigger and not worry about anything else), not too heavy or big. What would work here? I'd like to do some research online and some groping with light petting at the gun shop before making a purchase decision.

2. Remove Ads

Have her do the petting/groping at the gun shop. SHE'S the one who will be shooting/carrying the handgun. Also, I'd suggest that you and your wife begin practicing situational awareness all the time. If someone snatches her purse, they'll get her gun as well.

21' is a reasonable threat threshold. At that distance or closer, a threat could be upon her before she could access the handgun.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

My wife carries a Bersa .380cc. It's not a revolver, but very simple to shoop. Take safety off and pull trigger. It's inexpensive, great quality and pretty accurate. My wife is 5'2" and the grip fits her hand nicely.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

I'm afraid I just can't recommend a "purse pistol." It won't always be available to her and worse, it won't always be under her control. We had a member here recently whose wifes' gun was stolen out of her purse at work. There are some girls here that can help figure out a method of on-body carry that'll work for her. At least one of the girls here routinely conceals a full-size kimber 1911. This is a little waif of a girl too. As for which gun, let her grope, let her shoot as many as ou can afford without cutting into her purchase budget. If she won't be willing or able to train much, I'd have to recommend a revolver for lack of possible malfunctions and the fewset number of steps required to get the gun in play.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    The BG got away with the purse, and the woman went to the hospital with injuries.
    Not trying to be too much of a wise a**, but if that is what happened, why would you be looking for a purse pistol?

My wife carries OC on her keychain in her hand. More accessable and less threatening.

Steve

Administrator
    Everyone so far made good points... A gun kept in a purse is pretty much worthless, and is just going to get stolen along with her purse. I'm going to say that unless she is carying properly and prepared to defend herself she has no business having a gun buried underneath all the garbage that every woman has crammed in their purse.

When it does become time to buy her a gun, let her do it. That the only way it will get done right.
    "Just blame Sixto"

in the event you just described, they got away with the woman's purse. Perhaps a purse gun is not the best arrangement for an area where BG's are targeting purses? a small flat gun like a keltec would be easy to conceal on the body under any type of clothing, would not be gone when the BG grabs the purse, and would be effective in the close quarters situation you are describing.

On the other hand, I was content with a keltec .380 until my workplace got cased by a gang. I then started carrying a kahr 9mm and compromising my clothing as needed.

VIP Member
    My wife carries a S&W 642 and she shoots it well and likes it a lot, I wouldn't want her shooting at me at all. My wife is pro-gun and a competent shooter, but she is not an avid shooter and is happy with ONE gun (can you imagine.....only one gun?). She and I both agreed that a hammerless revolver was best for her. Under stress she has no worries of dealing with a safety, slide, or malfunction related to an auto. Just point and pull the trigger, and she does that well.

I haven't been able to convince her out of purse carry. She uses a purse that is designed for a ccw. Along with other problems of purse carry is the "fact" that she needs more than one purse.....so different colors/materials are needed that matches her "accessories". I hadn't thought about this, I had figured one purse would be plenty. I've been married for 33 years and I'm still learning !

The gun does make her purse heavier, which she complained about. Me mentioning that the benefit of increased muscle tone and arm strength didn't go over very well either Also women can wear out purses pretty fast too, I'm beginning to equate them with automobile tires.

There's a LOT of stuff in those purses too have ya'll ever really looked in one and examined all that stuff?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

You know what...I am not looking for a discussion on the pros and cons of a purse pistol. My woman wouldn't carry on her body, ever...trust me. So it's better to have something than nothing. She could have a pistol in each hand and not be able defend herself if she didn't see the threat coming anyways, same is true for everyone. If she uses situational awareness she has a shot at least with one in her purse. And it's not unusual for a woman to rummage through her purse, so that's where it's going to be.

And no it's not worthless. If she sees a threat she can have her hands on her gun...if the threat materializes than she can act. If they grab her purse and get it then she can just hang onto the gun for a nice surprise. Again: It's better than nothing.

I posted this in the "Concealed Carry Guns" section to ask a question about guns. Would have posted elsewhere to debate the merits of where to put it.

You got good answers........ based on experience. Guns are like shoes, not everyone can wear the same shoe, not everyone is comfortable with the same gun. If the gun is not comfortable , she won't shoot it enough to become proficient with it. If she's not proficient with it, carry a bat.

Some of my toys....

Administrator
    You know what...I am not looking for a discussion on the pros and cons of a purse pistol. My woman wouldn't carry on her body, ever...trust me. So it's better to have something than nothing. She could have a pistol in each hand and not be able defend herself if she didn't see the threat coming anyways, same is true for everyone. If she uses situational awareness she has a shot at least with one in her purse. And it's not unusual for a woman to rummage through her purse, so that's where it's going to be.

And no it's not worthless. If she sees a threat she can have her hands on her gun...if the threat materializes than she can act. If they grab her purse and get it then she can just hang onto the gun for a nice surprise. Again: It's better than nothing.

I posted this in the "Concealed Carry Guns" section to ask a question about guns. Would have posted elsewhere to debate the merits of where to put it.

OK, so be it. I cant recommend a gun based on the given information. You have been given solid advice by a few guys who have clearly demonstrated that they know what they are talking about. I dont think any of us would have posted off topic if it wasnt a big mistake to do what you want... so go do what you want and make sure you post to tell us we were right in a few months.
    Take it for what its worth, you got some good free advice.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by usmcj View Post
    You got good answers........ based on experience. Guns are like shoes, not everyone can wear the same shoe, not everyone is comfortable with the same gun. If the gun is not comfortable , she won't shoot it enough to become proficient with it. If she's not proficient with it, carry a bat.
    I got 2 answers(thanks ppkheat and Jaystekan). The rest wasn't telling me anything about what guns might be best.

If I need any more advice on fitting a gun I'll be sure to PM you usmcj.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    OK, so be it. I cant recommend a gun based on the given information. You have been given solid advice by a few guys who have clearly demonstrated that they know what they are talking about. I dont think any of us would have posted off topic if it wasnt a big mistake to do what you want... so go do what you want and make sure you post to tell us we were right in a few months.
    Take it for what its worth, you got some good free advice.
    So nothing is better than a purse pistol...got it.

You are bringing quite "the attitude" to a place where folks are trying to help you. I suggest taking a step back and listen to what they have to say. If you are set on purse carry I suggest getting a purse made for CC that have a dedicated holster made into the purse. A loded gun flopping around in a purse with all the junk my wife carries is not a good idea. I don't recommend lightweight J frames for new shooters, the recoil is pretty severe with SD rounds and if the gun is not enjoyable to shoot she will never practice with it and this is a bad thing. I would say a Model 60 snub nose in 357 would be ideal although a bit on the heavy side. I have two of the NAA Guardians one in 32 and one in 380, these are very small solid SS guns that are very well made and a 100% reliable. No saftey simply point and shoot just like a wheeler. I myself don't like the Keltecs because of reliability issues. Many manufacturers make small 9mm but we are getting a little larger now. I highly recommend going to a large gun store with a large variety of guns for her to hold and find out what fits her the best. She needs to be the one to select the gun not you!! Once she makes the selection make sure she is properly trained on using it. Also make sure she is legal to carry it. You also need to check your state laws as to whether you would even be justified in shooting somebody over personal property.
    The folks on this forum have years of CCing and are here to help you, it is up to you if you want to listen.
    Good Day
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Administrator
    So nothing is better than a purse pistol...got it.
    Yup. Because you're just going to end up arming a purse theif. It might not be your wife that gets shot with it, but it might be mine or someone else's.
    "Just blame Sixto"

If I need any more advice on fitting a gun I'll be sure to PM you usmcj.
    No need to pm me...... the response you quoted is the same one I've given for over 20 years, and it's accurate.

Good luck.

Edit..... you and your wife would benefit from some of the info found on this LADIES CCW site.

Cornered Cat

Pax, (the site owner), knows what she's talking about, and it's laid out well....... If you're interested.....

Some of my toys....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links