Colt Lightweight Commander

This is a discussion on Colt Lightweight Commander within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently carry a Beretta 92G Elite or S&W model 66 snub nose. Both of these guns are heavy and carried OWB. I have a ...

I currently carry a Beretta 92G Elite or S&W model 66 snub nose. Both of these guns are heavy and carried OWB. I have a large gut with no hips or butt to support the load. Thus, I'm constantly pulling my britches up. And, I ain't wearin' any suspenders either.

In an effort to lighten my load, the .45 cal Colt LW Commander has caught my fancy. Any other lightweight 1911 style guns to consider? Is there a better method to carry for someone my size?

THX!

Lead Moderator
    Kimber and Springfield both make 4" barreled guns . Similar to the CC lightweight.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

My LW Commander is still one of my all time favorite carry guns! As mentioned by Rocky both Kimber and SA make models as well, I confess to lusting after the SA offering to go with my Colt, and my Micro, and my Kimber.......is it possible to have enough 1911's?
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by wwva View Post
    Any other lightweight 1911 style guns to consider? Is there a better method to carry for someone my size?

THX!
    You might try to find a lightweight Colt Officer ACP.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Gun weight

Your two current carry guns are pretty heavy - 35 ounces empty for the Beretta 92 and 32 ounces empty for the S&W 66 snubby. I can understand how these could be a heavy load on your belt.

The Colt lightweight Commander would help, as it weighs in at about 29 ounces empty. But if you really want to get the weight down, I would suggest going to a polymer frame rather than the aluminum frame of the Colt. The most likely candidates in .45 are the Kahr P45 (21 ounces, 6+1 rounds) or the Glock 36 (20 ounces, 6+1 rounds) and Glock 30 (24 ounces, 9+1 rounds). I think you would see a big difference in the weight on your belt with any of these.

Here is the Kahr P45:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar

Colt Defender. Mine doesn't get along with hollowpoints, so I replaced it as a regular carry gun with an XD 45 Compact. I've heard from many people that their Defenders will feed JHP's like candy all day, so your mileage may vary. I also bought mine used, so there might be something I don't know.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

I like my SS Combat Commander... and my Defender.

Another vote for the Defender, it's my favorite. My Glock 27 is great too and they are close to the same weight but the Defender carries better since it is thinner.

The Kimbers will give you all the bells and whistles you will eventually want.

Another vote for Kimber. I've been eyeing... ok, drooling over the Pro CDP II. I'm currently carrying the Custom II, but the 5" barrel is a tad longer than I'd like for carry. I slao woudn't complain too loudly about dropping that extra 10 ounces from my hip. (Pro CDP is 28oz, Custom II is 38oz)

I love my Pro. Great size to carry!

I carry a Springfield LW Compact. It rides well and isn't to heavy. The only trouble I had with mine is the previous owner didn't like it because it sometimes jammed. I found a shok buff in it when I stripped and cleaned it. I took it out and couldn't make it jam after that. The compacts don't like the Shok buff. It did help me get an awsome deal on a springfield though
    "Life is Hard. It's even Harder if your Stupid"

I have a Colt lightweight Commander and Smith & Wesson Scandium Commander Both are lightweight and superb weapons. Incidentally, I have had both Bobtailed. IMHO Bobtailing a lightweight Commander makes the ideal concealed carry gun.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Still in honeymoon phase with my LW Commander. Gonna send more lead downrange Thursday. I work crummy hours, but this gun will get to trustworthy round count fast. There is something Cosmic about this configuration.

Links