Walther P99

Walther P99

This is a discussion on Walther P99 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is the Walther P99 a good investment or should I spend that money on something else?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Walther P99

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Walther P99

Is the Walther P99 a good investment or should I spend that money on something else?

I'd like to know too (not that it particularly matters), my wife is fond of it...
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    The first gun I bought was a P99 in .40 caliber. One of the quickest trigger resets I tried. Really light....I like it. I don't carry it as often as I did since I started reloading for my Kimber 45 and started practicing with the single actions.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    I have to agree with hudson on the trigger reset. I find myself shortstroking the trigger in my M&P after I shoot my 99. Excellent reset and interesting trigger design overall.

Administrator
    Its an OK gun... its not a wise investment though.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have a Walther P99 AS (DA/SA version) 9mm and a S&W SW99c 9mm (the twin brother to the Walther P99c AS) and really enjoy shooting these pistols (both are very accurate, though I'm a little better with the full sized P99 than my compact SW99c). I put Meps on both of them. I tried the P99 QA (DAO version) once and didn't care for that trigger feel. The Walther is a little more refined than the SW99 version, but they both have the sweet short and crisp trigger reset that has already been mentioned (shorter and crisper trigger reset than even on a Glock). In fact, I would say the quality/workmanship of the Walther P99 AS is right up there with the quality on my H&K P2000 LEM 9mm (IMHO). If you are looking for more of a range/target gun and also maybe a home defense gun, I would go with the full sized P99 AS over that of the compact P99c AS. However, if you plan on conceal carrying this gun a lot I would tend to go towards a P99c AS, since the compact models are a bit easier to conceal (shorter grip) than the full size models (IMHO). Here is a pic of my two:

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    As a financial investment/collectible, no. It will probably hold its value but won't increase.

As in investment in the self defense of your life it is an excellent one. It is my preferred choice. They are very reliable and accurate. The Walther P99 or P99c should be on your list of guns to shoot and handle.
    .XX likes this.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    To be honest I was just looking for a good plinker possibly in .40 or 9mm. I keep my Glock 36 as a primary defense gun. I took my weekly pilrgamage to Gander and the Walther caught my eye this time. Nothing big really, more curious then anything. Gotta pay off the 1911 first

.XX
    Last edited by .XX; September 18th, 2013 at 02:07 PM.
    Shoots your collector guns!

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Is the Walther P99 a good investment or should I spend that money on something else?
    P99AS is a good gun. I prefer the PPQ, myself.
    C hawk Glock likes this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Even though it's a resurrected thread, at least I got some more pics out of it.

The Bersa BP9cc is out, the PPS is out, the PM9 is out, (All Kahrs are ouyt), the S&W M&P is out, the S&W SD9VE is out. That leaves me trying to choose between a Glock G19G4 and the Walther PPQ. The Glock is running ahead because of aftermarket parts availability.

http://monderno.com/gun-reviews/walt...-round-update/
    Cleaned one time in 3000 rounds fired.

For what it's worth, the Walther PPQ has a plethora of sight options available since it uses the same ones as the P99, several companies make mags for the PPQ from 10 to 33 rounds, the gun uses a standard rail, there is a stainless guide rod or three out there for the gun (again, same as P99 rod) etc.. Outside of that, I haven't needed any parts I couldn't easily attain for the gun, and it doesn't need a lot of aftermarket parts like new triggers to make it an outstanding gun, like Glocks seem to. [hiding] but that aside, try both the G3 and G4 if you want the Glock. I;ve met very few people who actually prefer the G4's feel. Both are very good guns. The Glock will probably require more money and parts and labor to get it just the way you like it with trigger feel, grip, etc. The Walther PPQ is one of the best "out of the box" striker fired polymer guns I've ever owned or used.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

PS, the Walther PPQ also uses the same magazines as the P99, S&W SW99, and US-made Baby Desert Eagle, which means mags for any of them are interchangeable, as well as generics from ProMag, MechGar, and Magnum Research

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    depends, an investment as a collector piece? no, it will probably not gain value over time. but if it has the features you want in a defensive pistol then by all means get it. the p99 AS (anti stress)is pretty unique in the sense that it is a striker fired pistol with a decocker and second strike capability. you can also cock the pistol by retracting the slide about a 1/4 inch and bring the gun back into SA mode. i'm not aware of another striker fired auto pistol that can be operated like the SA/DA with an exposed hammer. except maybe the Hk P7M8 which is unique in it's own way.

the only thing being different is that if you decock the P99 and then decide to cock the striker the trigger will not move back like it would in a hammered fired gun. this is by design as stated in the manual, it is a feature but some may consider it a bug.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    as well as generics from ProMag, MechGar, and Magnum Research
    pretty sure that Mach Gar of Italy is OEM supplier for Walther and not a generic. they are also OEM for many other companies and is considered a top tier magazine maker.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links