MP9C

This is a discussion on MP9C within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Who has a S&W MP9C? I've read only great reviews. Do like how they feel, haven't shot one though....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MP9C

MP9C

Who has a S&W MP9C?

I've read only great reviews. Do like how they feel, haven't shot one though.

2. Remove Ads

I rented one from my local range and I gotta admit, I was pretty surprised about how it went. The trigger is nice and crisp, and the novak sights were nice and visible. I was able to acclimate to the gun very quickly and accuracy was plenty enough for a carry gun. In my opinion it has a very good size/capacity/weight ratio.

My dad has one that I have fired. He'll post, I'm sure. He absolutely loves it. I have to say, it was a great shooter. The trigger was nice and smooth and the gun pointed very naturally for me. There was very little recoil as well and rapid fire was possible with a nice grouping. The full-sized version made my short list for my first EDC. If you get it, get the grip extension mags for a full-hand grip.

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

zero,

I was too tired to type it up tonight, then my son (agentmel) shamed me into it. Thanks, kiddo!

Anyway, I love my 9c. I have tried several autoloaders in the process of getting ready to buy. I rented a Glock 19, and an XD to shoot.
    Have shot a Taurus (don't remember which one).

To me, the 9c felt the best of them all. The grip angle is great, very natural. Points and shoots well. I am new to pistol shooting but started out doing well with this gun, and it gets better. With the mag without pinky extension I shoot as well as with the mag with the pinky extension. The gun is light, and it's easy to conceal. In fact, I have to work to print with this gun when I carry with a cover shirt, and even when I carry tucked with the Comp-tac C-TAC.

Now, the bad news. I am on my second replacement of the mag release. If you are not aware of this problem with SOME of the M&Ps, check it out on the forums at Smith and Wesson. Anyway, after 3-400 rounds it began to drop the mag on firing. Eventually, it would do it almost every shot. S&W immediately sent a replacement. But, again, after a few hundred rounds it began again. I sent it in, and they replaced the mag release with what I suppose is the third generation mag release. We will see.

I thought I had done pretty good research on the reliability of this gun.
    (So much for trusting the reviews in the gun magazines.)

If I had known this from the start, I would most likely have bought a CZ P-01. If this does not fix the problem, I will have to decide whether to send it back to S&W, or get rid of it for the CZ P-01.

I love this gun...when it shoots. Many do not have this problem.

LimaTunes and others have 9s or 9cs. They'll probably chime in.
    Last edited by miklcolt45; January 18th, 2008 at 10:38 PM. Reason: added material
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

awww, i wish my dad and i were both on the same ccw forum!
    alas, my parents dont exactly agree with my decisions.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Good gun as I just bought mine right before Christmas. Hefts good with 13 rounds of 9mm in a small, very concealable package made just for concealed carry.

Although plastic, the frame has a steel liner molded into it to offer rigidity and minimize frame flex. This adds about 2 more ounces but gives it a sturdier feel. Novak sights are nice. The trigger is crisp and reset is good. It is also ambi for southpaws. Finish is a melonite type similar to the Glock and XD which also hardens the blackened stainless slide to about 68, which is slightly harder than a Glock slide. Interchangable backstraps allow you to better fit the gun to your hand.

Buy the no lock and no mag safety version for better trigger results.

I shot the M&Pc and the Walther P99c in 9mm, and ended up purchasing the Walther P99c instead, here's why:

Both guns felt good in the hand (for short grips) and pointed well.

IMO the P99 had a better trigger pull DA/SA which was far more accurate for me.

I have 2 sig's P226 in 9mm and a P220 .45, I have grown accustomed to the DA/SA, which the Walther has and the DA pull is 8.8lbs/SA 4.4 lbs., sweet.

Good Luck

Sigbear

Thanks for all the input. I have come across a new one for a good price.

Really thinking I'm going to have to go ahead and get it.

I recently purchased one and would recommend the pistol to others. You can get great deals on the M&P in Ohio.]

Edited to correct "recommend"

I like mine. Haven't had the mag drop problem other than in holster; I modded the holster to fix that. 400 rounds so far. #1 stovepiped from a limpwrist. Fed Federal, Remington, Winchester, Corbon all just fine. Trigger started out a little gritty but smoothed out. I do have the mag disconnect though. I have a couple 17 rd mags on the way, so I can carry the full size as a spare.

From some of the reading I've done, it seems some of the mag drop problem stems from the mag well itself being too big (or mags small?), and getting a new frame has solved the problem where a new release didn't.
    "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Senior Moderator
    Okay, it's time for a mixed review on the M&P.

JD bought me the M&P for Christmas so that I could have a lighter 9mm for range and carry should I choose.

I chose the M&P after months of battling it out between the Glock 19 and the M&P. I liked the reputation of the Glock, but wished it were just a TINY bit smaller (and I did not want a 26) and I really didn't like the finger grooves on the Glock. I have tiny fingers and they proved to keep my hand lower than I wanted it. I also didn't like how thick the grip was on the Glock. Again, I have very small hands and the Glock grip is the Glock grip. The only way to change it is to put slip on grips over it but that only makes the grip bigger.

I had shot all of the M&P models when a S&W Rep brought them to the range I used to work at and I loved them all.

The decision was made, I got the M&P 9c.

Then I took it out to shoot it.

I got one 100-round box of Winchester White Box and my husband got two boxes of Remmington 9mm for his H&K P7 (we were kind of making a 9mm day out of it).

We were shooting outdoor, in just above freezing weather conditions with a pretty good wind and I was wearing gloves.

Right from the get go I was having a few feeding problems. The cartridge would get half into the chamber and not seat fully and the slide would fall on the cartridge.

Racking the slide seemed to do nothing as it would fail to extract the cartridge and attempt to feed the next and I'd instantly be stuck with a double feed type of jam.

I dropped the magazine, the round fed and I pulled the trigger... Nothing.

DARNED MAGAZINE DISCONNECT..

Let me tell you, that's going to be one of the first things to go.

Annoyed with my coat interfering with my stance as it was pulling on my shoulders, I removed my coat and rapid-fired a whole magazine into the target.

Not only did I get GREAT results in my group but the gun worked perfectly for the entire string of fire.

Confused, I went back to slow fire.

More failures to feed and failures to eject and extract.

I reassessed my grip and stance trying to make sure it wasn't me or limp wristing and when I was sure that it wasn't I was still confused by the feeding, ejecting and extracting problems.

I tried another string of rapid fire (since it seemed to work before) and EVERY SINGLE ROUND was a problem, mostly due to failures to extract and/or eject spent casings.

Frustrated, I gave it to JD to look at and he put a magazine through it only for it to work perfectly (although if memory serves us both correctly he used his Remmington Ammo, not my WWB).

He was very happy with how it felt in the hand and I was ticked that it worked so well for him.

He put another magazine through it and it worked wonderfully.

By this time we were out of ammo and we had to leave (also we were all pretty much frozen to the bone, especially since I took my coat off).

Even with the problems I have to say that this gun was VERY comfortable to shoot (when it did shoot). I was very disappointed with its failures because I was getting great shots with it.

I had a wonderful target with a beautiful hole COM and in the head. The double taps were easy and aiming the gun was as natural as pointing a finger. It came right back on target and was a joy to the hand even after 100 rounds.

Also, this was right out of the box. I had not, as of yet, cleaned or lubed the M&P so that may have also had something to do with it.

Of course I won't carry it until it has proved itself 100% reliable, and at about 300 rounds, if it's still having problems it's going back to the factory for some diagnostic medicine.

This is my first striker-fired gun and it's taking a little getting used to, especially with not having the visual confirmation of a hammer falling.

I'm going to have to get to know this gun a little better before I trust my life to it, but I'd be happy to carry it, if only it worked!

Every gun manufacturer puts out a few lemons in their time and most modern companies go through a lot of trouble to make sure they fix ailments in their firearms. I have no doubt that these issues would be addressed if I sent the gun back and if that's what it takes I'll do it.

I love the gun, I love how it feels. The trigger isn't as nice as my 1911, but one of the best striker-fired ones I've ever felt. The interchangeable palm swells are fabulous for people who have small hands (like me) and it really is a very comfortable shooting gun.

Once its reliable it will certainly find a place among my carry guns.

Administrator
    See... that is exactly what I talk about and sometimes get flamed for... Unproven guns being sold and carried as good to go when clearly all the bugs have not been worked out yet.
    I posted a long long time ago about being part of a LEO M&P test, and how I would not buy one. This is the exact reason why.
    The gun has been growing on me, and I really like it. It is accurate, easy to shoot etc., but it just needs more time "in the field, and it isnt going to be on my dime and hide.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thanks for all your honest feedback.

I have been reading past threads via the search in here. Access to such information is truly an asset.

One thing I noticed was the lifetime warranty is only for original purchaser.

VIP Member
    For the record I have a full size M&P in 40, and it has been 100% reliable. I've put about 500 rds through it with zero failures of any kind. The reason I bought this gun instead of the competitors was that the trigger pull was way better than a Glock and a little nicer than the XD. Mine does not have the mag safety or the key safety. Great gun & I'm 100% confident in it. the full size is big so I don't carry it often.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    See... that is exactly what I talk about and sometimes get flamed for... Unproven guns being sold and carried as good to go when clearly all the bugs have not been worked out yet.
    I posted a long long time ago about being part of a LEO M&P test, and how I would not buy one. This is the exact reason why.
    The gun has been growing on me, and I really like it. It is accurate, easy to shoot etc., but it just needs more time "in the field, and it isnt going to be on my dime and hide.
    Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

I posted about my problems with TWO different M&P 40 compacts that I have owned, including feeding problems and slides locking back with rounds in the magazine on BOTH pistols. These were both of late manufacture as well, with the latest one having serial number MPZxxxx. Everyone else posted how great these pistols are.

No they are not.

They do FEEL wonderful. Their function leaves something to be desired, however. If one only does a little research on M-P Pistol.com, it's easy to see that the problems with these pistols are numerous. And these are S&W fans posting!

Slides locking back with rounds in the mag. Dropped magazines due to faulty catches (now in the "3rd generation" redesign, I think). Broken strikers. Rusting slides. Cracked frames.

Some people apparently get a "good" one. This points to one thing: shoddy quality control. It's a shame, really. The pistols are the best "feeling" striker fired pistols that I know of, but I'm not going to bet my life on "maybe" getting one that works right. And even if it did work right, I'd always be worried about the next round being the one that breaks the striker.

I don't care for the Glock grip much myself, either, but 30 minutes with a drum sander, and it feels MUCH better. The finger grooves are gone, the trigger guard is undercut, and I still have the awesome reliability and dependability that Glock is famous for, backed by 20 years of experience.

It took S&W several years to get the Sigma to work right. I expect the same wait for truly dependable M&P's. I've said it before and I'll say it again. You don't need rebates and "free mag" offers if your products sell based on their own merits. Ask Honda and Toyota about that.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links