Bummer!!!!!!!

Bummer!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on Bummer!!!!!!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not quite three weeks ago, I picked up my new Para-Ordnance Slim Hawg. First time shooting was great, last weekend wasn't so great. I discovered ...

Thread: Bummer!!!!!!!

Bummer!!!!!!!

Not quite three weeks ago, I picked up my new Para-Ordnance Slim Hawg. First time shooting was great, last weekend wasn't so great. I discovered that the extractor hook had broken off at my last shot the weekend before. Para wanted me to ship it to them for repair ($74.40 for overnight air and insurance at UPS!).

Any idea from anyone how long I can expect to wait to get it back?
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

Administrator

Take it to a local registered gunsmith and have him order the part. It's a quick & easy fix.
    I sure would not pay $75.00 to have a broken extractor replaced.
    That's downright crazy.

OR just send the slide in rather than the complete firearm. They do not need the whole firearm just to replace the extractor. Then you can just send it as a non firearm.
    Then you can UPS the slide to them for probably $10.00 Fully Insured.

I'd call them back up again and finalize arrangements to just ship the slide back for repair and then you're NOT shipping a firearm (only a gun part) and so there is no need to send the package Overnight and spend mucho dollars for shipping.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

DC Founder
    I, generally, keep an extra extractor and set of springs for my guns in my range bag. I would do as QK suggested and maybe even order an extra.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Administrator
    That is a bummer... and Para wonders why they cant capture more of the 1911 market... They build some neat guns, but the followup service and quality control is horrible.

Bumpers suggestion is an important one, I do the same thing.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The way I see it, you have 3 options:

1. You can just send the slide, and that'll make things much cheaper.

2. You can try to convince them to send you the part. This is probably your best option, as an extractor on a 1911 is very simple to replace. Any halfway competent gunsmith could knock that out in a few minutes. You could even do it yourself.

3. You could buy the part and replace it yourself. Depending on how old your Para is, this could be really expensive. Most of the newer models use their proprietary Power Extractor. The channel in the slide in which the extractor fits is oversized and will not take a normal extractor even with a sleeve. The replacement part which I think is only available from Para is pretty expensive (I think over $50).

Hope this helps!
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Wow,I was looking at getting a nitehawg,...maybe I'll rethink an EMP or Kimber instead

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

I appreciate the comments and suggestions, but it's already sent. I put a note in the box that the least they could do would be to put a couple extra parts or a few extra magazines in the box to make up for my expense sending a two week old gun!

And, yes, it has the Power Extractor!
    Last edited by MoMike; January 19th, 2008 at 08:14 PM. Reason: added material
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

keep us posted on what happens

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Can you say warranty?

Brand new gun you said. Para should have paid for the overnight charges. Obviously, it was defective. I would contact them and request they reimburse you. Most gun mfgs. want to take care of their clients, and will bend over backwards to be helpful. I know Colt did for me, and they always paid the shipping.
    Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
    www.BuckeyeFirearms.org Buckeye Firearms Association Central OH Chair
    NRA Instructor/CCW Instructor/Realtor
    2009 NRA Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award Recipient

Para does have some great guns. Why bother with the warranty, when you can buy a better quality extractor for $30.00, and if you can't fix it yourself the remainder of what you spent on the shipping will cover the install and you won't have to worry about it for many years, but the para extractor might fail you at the wrong time... again.
    I won't hesitate to buy another Para LDA because of an extractor problem.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I'd say just get a new slide, or extractor. I had to get a new recoil spring and the rod that goes with it because it cracked. Glock said they would repair it if I sent it in, giving me the same hogwash you got. I said screw it, asked around on here for a part, was guided to a nice site, ordered the new part, and put it in myself. Saved $60+ dollars.

Para

We have several Paras as rentals at work, and I have been mostly disapointed in their durability and long term performance. I admit they do run and shoot well when they work, unfortunately, they break, fail, quit, or generally don't hold up well. The first gun with the "power extractor" we had failed within days and the part broke and fell out the side of the gun. I've seen cracked slide stop pins, links, and a barrel bushing once. That was an impressive failure, too. We have a couple that consistantly loose grip screws, too. Annoying. The good news is Para has been very responsive to us ans sends us whatever we need with a phone call and no questions asked, although they did ask us to send one of the slide stops that broke so they could look at it.

I have heard quite a few problems with the Slim Hawgs. many have cracked the slide. For a two week old gun I would have called the manufacturer and demanded they pay for all shipping charges and also supply me with some extra mags to compensate for the inconvienence.
    Good Luck and keep us posted.
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    I have heard quite a few problems with the Slim Hawgs. many have cracked the slide. For a two week old gun I would have called the manufacturer and demanded they pay for all shipping charges and also supply me with some extra mags to compensate for the inconvienence.
    Good Luck and keep us posted.
    NCH
    Thatsa good idea,you spent good money on it,they should fix it. How many roudns total does it have through it

Sponsored Links