Sig p239 sas or Walther pps

This is a discussion on Sig p239 sas or Walther pps within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been doing some researching/reading on these two pistols. I'd prefer them in .40 cal, though the Walther .40 won't be available for a few ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig p239 sas or Walther pps

VIP Member

Sig p239 sas or Walther pps

I've been doing some researching/reading on these two pistols. I'd prefer them in .40 cal, though the Walther .40 won't be available for a few months.

I think either of them would make a good ccw, my problem is not being near a place that would let me rent them to try. Heck, it's tough to find a gun store to be able to just handle one. I was hoping for some opinions from someone who owns them.

BTW, as you probably know, the Sig p239 comes as DA/SA or DAK, but the 239 SAS version is DAK only (though it can be converted). Since it might be a primary ccw I'd prefer the melted SAS, but I have no experience with the Sig DAK trigger, or Walther pps trigger. Also I own sigs, glocks, colts, SA, S&W, etc, I'm pretty happy with all the trigger pulls and comfortable with adapting to any of them.

Speaking of Sigs, on another subject, I also like the Sig p220 carry elite stainless. I have handled one, they seem pretty big for a ccw, though it would be more workable in the winter. Does anyone have one? And, how do you like it?

In conclusion, is there any medication for curing "gun fever"? Never mind, I'd refuse to take it !
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

FWIW:

I've owned a 9mm Sig P239 since new for approx. ten years.

The Sig P239 is a fine pistol. I have Crimson Trace Lasergrips on it, and I think they add tremendously to it's potential accuracy under low light/nighttime conditions.

Recently I've acquired a new Walther PPS.

The Walther PPS is also a fine pistol.. I think the PPS conceals a bit easier, but it might just be psychological since it's my "new" gun.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, altho I don't believe the PPS is available in 40cal. just yet.

I think I prefer the slimness of the PPS and the better (for me) 3 dot white sights.

In truth I think either pistol is of excellent quality, both brands have a reputation for reliability and accuracy and probably the best answer is to try and hold, and shoot both.. What works for me might not work for you.

Sorry I can't help more.

Best Wishes,

J.Pomeroy

Administrator
    I'd go with the Sig... proven to be an excellent gun over and over. The PPS is just to new for me to bank on it just yet... not to mention in a .40.

The 220 carry is also a awesome gun... but it is a bit larger than the 239/PPS sized guns. If you can conceal it, that would be my pick hands down.
    "Just blame Sixto"

[QUOTE=SIXTO
    The 220 carry is also a awesome gun... but it is a bit larger than the 239/PPS sized guns. If you can conceal it, that would be my pick hands down.[/QUOTE]

SIXTO:

Not to get too off-track, but how about the P245 or P220 Compact for cc?

Regards,

JP

I vote Sig....

http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Sig or Walther

I personaly own a Sig P239 SAS 40 cal and I can say it is the best made weapon I have ever owned and I have owned alot of different firearms. My wife is very interested in the new PPS and already owns a Walther P99 in 40 cal. The only complaint I have with the walther is all the plastic. I have owned Glocks before and sold them for the same reason. I just like the feel and look of metal. Both the Walther and Sig have been totaly reliable with all ammo. The Sig has the better trigger (DAK).

SIG

i vote sig, i don't know much about the new walther but, my carry is the p239 in 9mm. the 239 is easy to conceal and scary accurate in all calibers.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

I really like my Sig's... My P239 40 is a great gun. Never has given me any problems at all. I also agree about the CT grips. i added a set to mine.

1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

VIP Member
    Thanks for ya'lls input, and posting pics etc.

It's a good "problem" to have in choosing between 3 different guns, and actually all of them very good. I think right now for me I need to handle the p239 SAS, then I'll be able to make my decision (I've handled the others already).

I could make the P220 carry elite my winter carry, then the P239 or PPS for summer carry. Good grief, winter and summer guns are beginning to sound like something from Jeff Foxworthy.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Question

s we are a bit further into the future now and the 220 is sold in a sas model ,melted beautifully and every bit as good as all 220's ,the dak system is a 220 sas standard. my buddy has a 22 sas and the trigger has a smooth feel but there is a stage in the travel that happens 3/4 way into travel. sort of a click noise. watching it happen it seems you can see the spring move downacross a sear and cause the noise. imo. how does anyones dak feel to them. can you feel the reset at a point in travel on the first pull? the gun actually fires perfect but wants comparison to another 220 sas carry ownwe... thanks in advance. my buddy glen is hpoing it's normal.

kpw
    If I keep seeing pics of that 239 SAS, I'm going to break down and buy one. I like the DAK trigger and the 239 SAS. That's coming from a guy that never cared much for Sigs.

The 220 will hide very nicely in a VM2. I'd pick the 239 over the Walther anyday.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I have a P239 SAS .40 with DAK trigger (like the one in the pic) and the sucker is awesome. With the right ammo it will shoot 1 inch groups from a rest easy. For those that don't know, the DAK trigger is a strange beast when dry shot because the first pull is heavy (6.5 -7lbs or so) and you feel a click before the hammer falls. But when you rack the slide or load a round into the gun that preloads the hammer by about 15-20 percent. After that its a smooth easy 4-4.5 lb. (DAO) pull then boom. And thats the way it is emptying the rest of the magazine.

Since I bought 2 P239's I had to experiment on one, so I removed 2 coils from the hammer spring to try and lighten the pull just a hair. The results were awesome (follow up shots were much easier) and its still 100% dependible. Normally I would not mod anything that Sig makes because they are already fantastic from the factory, but I needed the trigger to be a little easier for me. These are really great guns for CCW and fun to shoot!!

I carried a P239 in 9mm DA/SA for a long time. I was happy carrying it in a Comp-Tac MTAC, Comp-Tac CTAC, Comp-Tac Pro-Undercover and K&D Dakota Defender w/sweat shield.

Mine doesn't have the melt job and I never felt it "needed it". The P239 is a fine firearm and carries well. As others have said, it is VERY accurate and VERY reliable.

I have replaced it as my primary carry with a HK P2000 SK 9mm DA/SA (w/flat floorplate). The SK is also very small and carries well, but is 10+1 instead of 8+1 and is almost 2oz lighter in that configuration. More importantly, the SK accepts the full sized 15rd mags from the P30. It is also very accurate and reliable. It also has ambi controls which is a good idea IMO.

So now I'm carrying the SK w/ a 10rd mag w/flat baseplate in a K&D Dakota Defender w/sweat shield, 2 15rd P30 mags in AKJ Concealco mag holders. With DoubleTap 124gr +P I don't feel the need for something bigger than 9mm.

While a tiny big wider, IMO the SK carries just as well as the P239, maybe better. The P239 is a bit skinnier, but has a bit longer butt.

The PPS is probably fine, but I prefer DA/SA and so the Sig and HK offer an advantage for me. I wouldn't hesitate to carry the P239.

Good luck,

-john

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I say PPS because I shot one today (it was beautiful), and want one.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links