"Issues" Berretta 96 .40

"Issues" Berretta 96 .40

This is a discussion on "Issues" Berretta 96 .40 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked up a used Berretta 96 in .40 cal today at the Washington Arms Collectors show today for $250. This incleded 250 rounds and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Issues" Berretta 96 .40

"Issues" Berretta 96 .40

I picked up a used Berretta 96 in .40 cal today at the Washington Arms Collectors show today for $250.

This incleded 250 rounds and a case.

I planned on giving to my son, who is finally mature and self disciplined enough to give such a gift to...only took him 28 years.

Anyway...does anyone know of any significant issues I should be aware of, before I bestow this gift to him?
    "If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men." Romans 12:18
    ...if not...be prepared to meet Mr.10mm, .45, .40 or any one of their little brothers.

Need to check and see if it was a Police trade-in. They can be rough on a pistol. The .40 is rougher on some pistols than others. Might want to check arround the barrel and falling block mechanism(I think that is what is called.) for cracks and such.
    Glock 19/FEG/FM HiPowers/Keltec P32 for me. When I can't use my 870,N98 or Marlin .30-30 of course...

I had a Beretta 96 DAO police trade in that had the Ohio state police (motorcycle division) stamp on the frame. It was a gun that I never should have gotten rid of. Sounds like an excellent buy to me.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Hmmm...looks good as far as I can see. No cracks, it is smoooth, indicating some miles.

I'll keep reading here though.
    "If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men." Romans 12:18
    ...if not...be prepared to meet Mr.10mm, .45, .40 or any one of their little brothers.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rbrown777 View Post
    Hmmm...looks good as far as I can see. No cracks, it is smoooth, indicating some miles.

Smooth is no indication of "milage" with a Beretta 92/96's. The are like glass brand new out of the box.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Check it out throughly. The 96 for .40 cal was a converted 92 9mm frame. The .40 cal produces a lot of punishment to the frame because of the high pressure loads. This is the reason Beretta has discontinued the 96 model and has replaced it with the 90Two. The 90Two frame was specifically designed for .40 cal pressures.
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

wow....thanks for sharing Cap'n...
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n View Post
    Check it out throughly. The 96 for .40 cal was a converted 92 9mm frame. The .40 cal produces a lot of punishment to the frame because of the high pressure loads. This is the reason Beretta has discontinued the 96 model and has replaced it with the 90Two. The 90Two frame was specifically designed for .40 cal pressures.
    Dont forget about the brigader model... to correct the slide cracking with the 40 and high milage 9mm's.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I don't know if it is a Beretta thing or not. But my 96 and 85 seem to prefer grease over oil.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Dont forget about the brigader model... to correct the slide cracking with the 40 and high milage 9mm's.
    I am unsure of what this means?
    More information welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I am unsure of what this means?
    More information welcomed.
    I believe what Sixto is referring to is Beretta came out with a Brigader model which basically was a thicker/heavier slide. This was to prevent any cracking of the slide when slammed into the frame by the .40 cal pressures.

Coincidently, the slide on the 90Two is a redesigned (looks) Brig slide.
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n View Post
    I believe what Sixto is referring to is Beretta came out with a Brigader model which basically was a thicker/heavier slide. This was to prevent any cracking of the slide when slammed into the frame by the .40 cal pressures.

Coincidently, the slide on the 90Two is a redesigned (looks) Brig slide.
    Thats it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Ohhhh...

I already shipped it to my son, so I will have hime check.

Even though I am a 95% 10mm shooter, I will also make use of this information as I shop for another 96 for me. It felt so good in hand and am guessing it is a dream to shoot.

Thanks for all the information!

I have several Berettas and my issue weapon is a 96. I have been to Berettas armorers class, but I do not consider myself an expert. I would replace the recoil spring in the gun, check the locking block for cracks.(high round count guns) usually they crack on the right side side. The newest version of the locking block has a radiused cut by the wings. another thing I have found is guns with aftermarket rubber grips, the screws seem to lossen more than the factory plastic grips. if you are unsure of the round count I would replace the recoil , trigger, trigger bar springs. and mag springs. I have found as long as the Beretta is kept reasonably clean and lubed they work well. I would only use factory Beretta mags or Mec-Gars. The Berettas are a very good gun. I recently just bought a L/E trade in Beretta, Its a Providence RI Police Trade a 96D Centurion.The gun looks almost like it was never shot. Best of luck to you
    Last edited by stinx; January 22nd, 2008 at 10:07 PM. Reason: spelling

VIP Member
    Stinx's suggestions are spot on regarding the 96.

BTW....Mec Gar now has two redesigned 96 magazines; my review on the Beretta Forum:

Review: New Mec-Gar Beretta 96 Magazines - Beretta Forum
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links