3 Gun Range Reports

3 Gun Range Reports

This is a discussion on 3 Gun Range Reports within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok Guys Here goes. Tonight, Friday Aug 19th, I tested the Colt Defender 45ACP 3" BBL Pistol, The H&K USP Compact 40S&W, and my Glock ...

Thread: 3 Gun Range Reports

Thumbs up 3 Gun Range Reports

Ok Guys Here goes.
    Tonight, Friday Aug 19th, I tested the Colt Defender 45ACP 3" BBL Pistol, The H&K USP Compact 40S&W, and my Glock 29 10M/M (all of which a recently acquired )
    OK first the Colt.
    I took 50 Rnds of Fed 185Gr Hi-Shoks with me, along with 230 Gr Ball ammo.
    I tried the ball ammo, and found NO FTF, or FTEs in 100 rnds of this type/brand of winchester /umc rounds. The gun ate EVERYTHING.
    I then tried the Fed 185 Gr, filling up two of the OEM 7 rnd short mags that came with the gun. NO Troubles at all! As you can tell from the pic, the gun was VERY accurate to say the least, especially coming out of a 3 incher!! HUGE Ball of flash though with the federal, with very little felt recoil.. The gun's fit and finish is well detailed, with the use of the Hougue grips making the felt recoil more managable. (1 Pic is worth 1000 words) I'd recomend you take a very close look at this little gem, should you come across one, hopfully it will go home with you, once you handle it.
    The HK USP
    I found this at a Shop, and traded a Shrty Forty for it.
    I fed this gun a diet of Seiler& Bellott 180 Gr FMC (at 8 bucks a box so it's cheap ammo)
    The gun shot slightly low, possibly due to the True Dot night sights on it. BTW guys, when you put new sights on a H&K, they never usually sight the same, as this one exibited tonight. Tomorrow I'll put the stock sights on it, and try again. I DID find that when using the Corbon 165 Gr JHP, I got a better group with the gun. (This could also be due to the cheapo ammo I bought. S&B ammo) The gun functions flawlessly with no FTE or FTFs in over 150 rnds. I found that using federal 165Gr produced the same effect as the Corbons.. better goups, but slightly low on target.. However!! This gun is an exceptional wepon, as I'm a H&K guy to start with. It's Variant 1, meaning I can carry in Condition 1 (cocked and locked) and also use the decocker to lower the hammer. (GREAT idea H&K had). I shot over 200 rnds with the USP and not a hiccup in the sesson (Pix on my findings)
    Now the Glock 29 10MM
    I know, I Know, some of you told me to go get my G26 and call it a day, but I am a glutten for punishment at times (But I appreciate all of your concerns and took all of it under advisement)
    I loaded the Glock up with 180 gr FMC Remingtons and threw everything it had downrange. Not one FTF or FTE (but then it's a Glock, and they never screw up ) I shot 50 rnds of the remington, and 50 rnd of some factory spec reloads I bought a while ago.. MANNNNNN!! what a ride!! WHOOOOOA!! lotsa recoil, but nothing uncontrolable. HUGE ball of flames though, making it a headturner for sure. I also shot 175 gr silvertips, that seems a bit more controlable, yet more velocity to em.. I'm hooked on the little gun, as it's not that much larger than the G26/27 series, except for the girth in the slide, frame etc.( I also have a 2nd generation Glock 19 with night sights on Law-a-Way too ) I can deal with that stuff. I also did a "stressfire" of 9 quick rounds with the Glock10MM , just for chuckles. I didn't do too badly I must say. I'd stake my life on any one of this trio. heck, maybe I'll carry the Colt, and use the Glock as my BUG.. Hope this sheds some light on three exceptional weapons platforms, each with it's own specail features and functions. I hope I've helped the veterans, and the Newbies, shoudl they be contemplating purchasing any of these types. I'll just keep shooting these irons! and I'll keep loving em!
    Attached Images

Assistant Administrator
    Bob - great info - and thx for the write-up.

I'd say that this ''sacrifice'' you so nobly made - doing all this hateful testing - must put you in line for Sainthood. The suffering you must have endured - just to get all this info - I cannot manage to know just how you survived .

I have had a a severe and increasing hankering this last week or so - for a USP - wonder why!!

Keep up the good work
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator

Thumbs up Ok! Thumbs Up For The 3 Gun Review!

Let's all "chip in" & Buy CLASS3 some more ammo!
    Great testing & a great review. Nice pics too.
    Man...The Colt Defender really "kicked it" didn't it?
    Now THERE is a worthwhile "Carry Gun" folks!
    That baby Colt is shooting like a full size tightened up Govt! Very Nice.

Hey...The GLOCKER ~ They always put on a decent show if the shooter does his part.

Your "USP" Don't Like "S & B"

Thanks Again Class3NH for a really nice TOP PISTOL SHOWDOWN!

Guys
    THANKS for the good response. I was amazed with that Colt, as it ate everything, and kept going. I can't imagine why somebody would have given up that gun BUT, I'm sure it was for a reason, and I'mhappy I got my mitts on it first. GREAT carry gun, even though we had a thread going on 3 inch 45s going. This one (the Colt) must have filtered through the line before the Gremlins got to it
    The USP handled great, with no real noticable recoil, and the weapon felt real good in my hands. I love H&Ks, and this one feels comfy beside my P7's Heck, maybe they'll breed, and produce a P200SK ( I know where I can find a USED one? for 675.00 (they retail for 887.00)
    I'm not sure why it kept hitting low with that S&B ammo though. Food for thought, for the people who might try it, but it was 8 bucks a box, so it was worth the trip
    The Glock REALLY surprised me though. 9 rounds ( couldn't get the 10th one in the mag YET) downrange under a stressfull (double tap type sesson) really came back on target.. Til the next go round..Bob....."the tester" signing off LOL

Good stuff wish i could find a little colt .. Best i can to is the 3.5 ultra springfield ... Hk no surprises there love my usp.

The Glocker Rekindling my want of a 10mm but thats on hold for now maybe next year.. Which isnt far away 29 might make a good work gun .. Little bit big though

I found a Colt Delta 10 MM at my Fav Dealer today! Looks clean! I don't know what they want for it YET lol.....we'llllll see though. For those who might want a HK P2000SK, I found one looks 98% for 675.00. Must be an early gun cuz no de-cocker in the rear. Maybe that's why it was traded in..

Bud.. If you can lay your hands on a Defender, I'd grab it up asap.. That Lil gun amazed me. Shot better than my Hopped-up Lightweight Commander. I know we had a thread going about 3inch tubes in the 45s BUT I found this Colt to be a work of art. I'd stake my life on the defender , if need be.
    That G29 shocked me, cuz I thought it might be very unconcrollable, BUT it was just the opposite. I also found a G29 BBL in 357 SIG!! for the palrty price of 39.00 (reg was 99.00).. I think it's a "must get" so I can have another conversion caliber. This BBl drops right in, and utilizes the G29 mags.. what a find!

Deff a good piece ya got there lucky dog and a delta dang wish i could find one here

Bud? It's in Maine.. (the Delta) I've handled it and looks real good to me I'll send you the addy if you will send me a PM.
    Bob

Sponsored Links