Magnum Research Baby Eagle 9mm

This is a discussion on Magnum Research Baby Eagle 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Magnum Research Baby Eagle 9mm - good, bad, indifferent? Anybody own one of these? I am considering getting one and would like input. Thanks...

Thread: Magnum Research Baby Eagle 9mm

Magnum Research Baby Eagle 9mm

Magnum Research Baby Eagle 9mm - good, bad, indifferent? Anybody own one of these?

I am considering getting one and would like input.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    Howdy, TimM.

I owned two of them - the 941f and the 941fs (the full size and the semi-compact with the frame mounted C&L safety). I can honestly say that they are the most comfortable metal framed pistols that I have ever held (at least for my hands). The 941fs was my EDC pistol for at least a year and a half while I worked at a local gun shop. I never had a FTF or a FTE with either of my Baby Eagles, and niether has the friend I sold them to. They are a basically a cz clone, but better quality than any of the other clones available in my experience, and more comfortable in the hand than the cz (just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth). Easy to shoot, and pretty controlable as the barrel axis is close to the hand. Some people feel they are heavy for a CCW gun, but that is all a matter of opinion. I love these pistols, and I wouldn't hesitate to own or carry another one. You should definitely handle one if you get the chance, to make sure they are right for you, but they have my endorsement.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    My son has one and loves it! It's very accurate wth no FTF, FTE or other problems. The only downside is its weight. It is very heavy - almost too heavy for comfortable CC. Oh, another downside (if you perceive it as such) is that you cannot shoot +P). The ergos, balance, trigger, sights are excellent. The only mod he is considering is to change grips to the hogue (built for the pistol) wrap-around finger grips. That's it. You'll enjoy the pistol and it is very, very well made!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I owned one too - in fact was my 1st gun purchase just about 2 years ago.

As mentioned, it is a heavy gun, but I that was a plus for me as it was my 1st one, and for range/home use only. I also liked the inclusion of a safety/decocker, though would of much preferred it being on the frame like the older models instead of on the slide.

I never had any malfunctions at all with mine. The trigger was OK - DA was a bit stiff and SA not quite as crisp, but for a 'combat' handgun, it worked just fine. I picked up the Hogue fingergroove grips, and really liked how they felt.

Even though I no longer have it (replaced by a Sig P226ST), I still recommend it to those who ask about them.

I have shot a relatives pretty extensively, although it was a 45acp and I will agree with previous posters that is was the best feeling gun I had ever put in my hand (until I was introduced to a custom 1911). The gun shot very well and I never had a single glitch.

I have not shot their poly versions but if they shoot as well I wouldn't mind having one myself.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

BE 9mm

The Baby Eagle was my first pistol. Thousands of rounds though it, no problems ever. The thing still shoots like a dream.

It is true, steel ones are a bit on the heavy side compared to plastic pistols, but thats nothing a quality holster wouldn't fix.

Good luck.
    Attached Images

I've got the Baby Eagle .40 and it's the most comfortable handgun to shoot that I own. I'm surprised to hear that +P is not supposed to be used. I wouldn't be afraid of it but there is no +P for .40 S&W. I use mine as our house gun with a M-6 flashlight/laser on it.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

I have the semi- compact 9mm and a full size .40. They are both great guns. They are both good carry guns. They are heavy but heavy = more control. The 9mm is supposed to only hold 15 rounds but the mags will hold and feed reliably 17 rounds. They will fit holsters made for the glock 17. I have a Desantis mini slide that both guns fit well.

FINALLY !!!!!!! I can't believe my eyes ..... other people who Love these Baby Eagle pistols . I've sold alot of people on them when I use to work at a shop. I have to say everyone I've sold them to absolutly LOVED them . Usually use them as car or house guns but a couple people carry them as I do . These guns are so accurate straight out of the box w/no modifications . Damn the polymer guns !!!! Give me a steel frame , frame safety Baby Eagle any day . I carry a semi compact w/frame safety in 9mm . Which I carry 147gr hydro shok in it .I've been looking for the same gun in .40 w/ frame mounted safety and compact in both calibers w/ frame mounted safety (personal choice) . You will never go wrong with any of the Baby Eagles . GOOD CHOICE !!!! Oh by the way if you don't like leather holsters , Bladetech makes a kydex holster for these guns . Also CZ75 and WITNESS mags are all the same mag and work in baby eagles.

Just wanted to add a picture of my former 9MM Baby Eagle w/ the Hogue grips.......

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    45MINK -

I looked at Bladetech's site and can't find the kydex holster you mentioned. I am looking for a holster for the full-size 9mm steel for my son (Mercalf). If anyone knows of holster for this, please let me know. Yesterday, I sent a message to various holster makers. I hope to hear something this week. Thanks!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    Here is the pair of 9mm Eagles I used to won. Wish I never had to sell them.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Old threads sometimes come back to life. Bud's is advertising the Baby Eagle 9MM for $469. Anyone brought one home recently? Any changes of opinion since this thread was first posted?

Quote Originally Posted by the_fallguy View Post
    I can honestly say that they are the most comfortable metal framed pistols that I have ever held (at least for my hands).
    +1. I considered it too heavy to carry comfortably, but if I had a dedicated house or range gun the BDE would absolutely be on the short list. I would think it'd be especially nice for .40--the weight would make that snappy recoil a lot tamer.

For me, the polymer-framed version isn't as comfortable--the grip shape seems to be slightly different--and they're ugly as sin.

From what I've read, many CZ75 holsters will work for the BDE, which is nice.
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

Links