First Time Buyer

First Time Buyer

This is a discussion on First Time Buyer within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is my first time about to purchase a handgun because I've just turned 21 a few months back and have gotten my permit. Now ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Time Buyer

First Time Buyer

This is my first time about to purchase a handgun because I've just turned 21 a few months back and have gotten my permit. Now because I'm young that means I know everything and you oldies can't tell me anything (just joking). What I'm considering is the Glock 26 with night sights or even the Glock 27. What are some of the advantages that might sway me to one or the other or even neither? What I want is something for everyday carry, reliability, durability, and longevity. Also what is the size difference in the subcompact and compact? Is it a subtle difference or is there a difference in carrying comfort. Also, could someone mention any great add-ons to a subcompact pistol and brands? Thanxs to all!!!
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; January 21st, 2008 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Edited text. It is not necessary to capitalize EVERY word!
    Guns Don't Kill People.........Trauma To Vital Organs & Loss Of Blood Kill People

The 26 and 27 are the same gun just different calibers. The subcompact 26/27 with unmodified mags leaves your pinky finger handing below the mag, but it doesn't bother me. You can add an extension but that brings your grip length to that of the 19/23 models and the grip is the most difficult part to conceal anyway. Very good guns - all four of them.

The Compacts are about 1/2 inch longer in barrel and 1/2 inch taller in grip than the subs. I also own the 19 and it too is concealable, although I prefer the 27 for deep concealment.

Which caliber do you prefer ? 9mm or .40S&W ? If you want best concealment, choose your caliber then the 26 or 27. If this is your first gun, and you are going to carry and use it for range, I would consider the 19/23 (Compacts). Slightly bigger but still conceals well.

Either way, the subs or compacts are just great. You need to handle them to see the difference though.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Check out the Glock website for the technical data on size and caliber.

GLOCK "Safe Action Pistols"

The general advice is carry the biggest caliber you can handle. For a woman, it may be a 9mm. For a bigger guy, a .45 would not be unreasonable. Just depends on your size.

And speaking of which, you don't mention how big you are. I am rather short. A bigger gun prints really easily on me, so I go with the Glock 27. I bought a MTAC holster and you can hardly see it all. After a little getting used to, it is quite comfortable and sometimes I don't even notice I am wearing it.

Your best bet would be to go to a gun shop that stocks all the models you are considering and see how they feel.

Good luck.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

kpw
    The 26 is easier to shoot if your newer to shooting. The 27 isn't bad though. I carried a 27 for years, it's a great little pistol. You might want to take a closer look at the 19/23 for a first pistol. They are not really any harder to conceal than the sub compacts and they are easier to shoot for most people.

Find a range that has a bunch of 'rentals' and shoot a couple of them. The Glocks a good choices (I carry a G23) but others might fit, feel, and shoot better for you.
    With the smaller sub-compacts I'd stay with the 9mm's....eaiser to shoot (for me) but nothing beats taking a few of them for 'test drives' before making a decision.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

If your looking for "plastic" i've had the g26 and g19 and i have the mill pro pt111 and xd 45 Service model. I've looked all around and the smart carry makes it easy for me to carry any of these. Just remember your getting a gun, then you need a way to carry it and then you have to modify your wardrobe to fit your gun/holsters. I'd suggest 9mm to start. Cheapest ammo, good platform to learn on. Like some have said, rent some guns and try them out. My xd fits my hand very well and shoots true (tight 4 inch paterns at 25 yards), Glock advantage is lots of add ons. You can't go wrong with either line and price is simular. Add ons you can get, once you've got your gun and have played with it. I've used night sights and crimson lasers. Helps with low light shooting, dry fire practicing and point shooting drills. If your pretty new to shooting taking a few gun class' wont hurt. Some of those "old guys" know something. Just remember, this is your first gun, but probably won't be your last. So don't be suprised if you are like most of us and find that over the next decade you've grown your collection to 5 or 10 guns, rifles and shotguns. Welcome to the club.

I have small hands so I prefer subcompact Glocks.

They're also a little easier to conceal.

Either gun you're getting all the things you state you want out of it.

Definitely go try to shoot them at a rental range.

Sarge 45 and the others above have summed up the Glocks pretty well.I have the G19 & 26 and also the G 23 & 27. I carry the G27 most often. I shoot my g26 most often as the 9mm ammo is cheaper. Go handle them and if possible shoot them BEFORE you buy. For a new shooter I'd recommend the 9mm models. It is all a matter of what feels best in your and and what you find easiest to shoot to well. For an all around gun, the G 19 is hard to beat.

Senior Moderator
    Have a look at the Smith & Wesson M&P line as well.

To me, they have much better ergonomics than the Glock lineup.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

While I'm young too (20) and waiting to turn 21 my brother in law (new to LEO) bought himself 2 clocks G17 and G26. They take quite a bit of practice to shoot accurately. Almost always low left. You have to concentrate on the trigger ull untill you're used to it. It has something to do with the angle of the grip and the length of the pull. They are very acurate just took some practice.

The G27 is my favorite carry pistol. If I had a G26, then that would be my favorite carry pistol too! IMO---you can't go wrong with either one if that's what you want. Find a way of testing both. If you can handle the 40 cal. Go for it. If not, then you'll have an extra 2 rounds capacity in the 9mm. Excellent choice on the Glock though. Good luck.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    While I'm young too (20) and waiting to turn 21 my brother in law (new to LEO) bought himself 2 clocks G17 and G26. They take quite a bit of practice to shoot accurately. Almost always low left. You have to concentrate on the trigger ull untill you're used to it. It has something to do with the angle of the grip and the length of the pull. They are very acurate just took some practice.
    The low and left syndrome is common to a lot of new shooters. Not just with Glocks but it seems to be more common with new Glock shooters. I found this chart a while back, might help a bit.
    Attached Images

You have gotten great info so far. You need to buy what fits your build and ability. I can't shoot the subs without extensions because of my large hands. I can't stand having my pinky just hanging out there. I have carried a G23 for 11 years and it has never let me down, for a great Glock holster may I recommend the Bianchi Carry Loc, by far the best holster I have used and trust me I have used a bunch!!
    Let us know what you select and give us a range report and welcome to the forum.
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

If you are set on a Glock, get the model 19. A sub compact gun is not the best thing to begin with. I have seen it many, many times and those that come to me with the teeny guns start off behind the curve very quickly. Try a G19 and see how much less recoil and flinching you do. Don't get the .40 right away because it's hot or the boys tell you it's the best. You'll be doing yourself a disservice by training yourself improperly. Smaller guns, sharper recoiling rounds will only enhance bad habits and you will be working harder to overcome them. Start off easy, learn everything the right way and the most efficient way, and then move to what you want to later.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Subcompacts are better for concealing. Compact are more or less full sized pistols. I have a G36 and its a subcompact. The only draw back on a subcompact is depending on the caliber (.45 in my case) the magazine is smaller and holds less. If you get a compact glock, while easier to conceal then most, chances are your grip will be longer and you can carry more. Depending on the clothes you have on you might print a little. They each have advantages and disadvantages.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links