1911 vs H&K USP45 compact

This is a discussion on 1911 vs H&K USP45 compact within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a 1911 fan and for the most part a .45 fan in general. I carry a 642 concealed but was considering carrying a 1911 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 vs H&K USP45 compact

1911 vs H&K USP45 compact

I'm a 1911 fan and for the most part a .45 fan in general. I carry a 642 concealed but was considering carrying a 1911 concealed. I recently bought a H&K USP compact .45 new at a local auction.I was thrilled with the "compact" and still like the quality aspect of the H&K. When I got home and had a chance to actually field strip the H&K along side my 1911A1 RIA and my 1911 springfield loaded Hi Cap, I began to wonder what is "compact" about the H&K.
    * The H&K has a wider frame than the 1911A1 and is just as wide in the frame as my Springer Hi Cap. That was a surprise! The Hi cap double stack mag from the Springer actually fits into the H&K frame. Advantage 1911A1.
    *The H&K compact is about 3/4" shorter on the slide than a 1911, but the H&K slide is wider. Probably a toss up for carry.
    *The H&K is a varient 1 which has the frame safety like a 1911, but also has a decocker that will allow the pistol to be carried cocked and locked like a 1911 or double action first shot with or without the safety on. Advantage H&K for the choice.
    *Both the 1911 A1 and H&K are 8+1. The Springer is 13+1. Advantage 1911 Hi cap.
    *Fit and finish looks better on the H&K than the RIA but about the same as the Springer, but I guess the poly frame on the H&K makes it apples to oranges.
    *Weights are fairly equal on the 1911A1 and the H&K when loaded, but the Springer is noticably heavier with the extra capacity.
    *Visually when you set the H&K next to the 1911's the H&K seems to lack some soul. It looks all business where the 1911's take on some charisma with wood grips and parkerized patina.
    *I'll be shooting them side by side soon and see if the H&K can win me over.

2. Remove Ads

I shoot my 1911 better than my HKUSP45C any day. I think it's the DA 1st shot.
    I can conceal a 1911 better (even a 5 inch) than I can my HK
    the trigger on a good...even average 1911 is MUCH better than any HK I've ever shot.
    My HK is warming my safe...my 1911 is warming my hip :-)
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

It's hard to beat a 1911 or BHP for thinness. And that makes it easy to conceal.

I had a USP9 in the past but it never was a favorite for me. Maybe I would have liked it better if it was a 45 :)

Ken

I carry an RIA 1911, 5" everyday. It's been flawless right out of the gate and easily to conceal regardless of it being a full size 1911. Compared to any other guns I have Glock, Sig, S&W, Beretta, H&K....The thinness of a 1911 just makes it more comfortable to conceal carry (IMHO). I also carry two spare 8-rd. magazines bringing my total carry ammo to 25 Rds.

I do like the USP Compact platform, but I prefer it in 40 S&W
    "Praise the Lord & pass the ammunition"

I just rented a USP compact in .45ACP to remind myself why I didn't buy one.

After firing it I suddenly remembered why I don't own one.

The double action trigger is terrible and the magazine release is not ergonomic for me.

I'll pass on USP's

i have both. they are both great. your good to go either way.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

When I went .45 shopping, I started out looking for an XD-45. Then some knuckle-dragger put a 1911 in my hands and I remembered what it felt like. For me, nothing points like a 1911, and that's 90% of the CCW equation for me. You can always dress to hide a gun, so if a bigger/thicker .45 pointed as well for me, I would have gone that way. The XD fits my hand really well, but not quite as nicely as a 1911, and doesn't point as well. The trigger on a 1911 can't be beat, so that about sealed the deal. Then there's the fact that the 1911 platform (single stack) is much easier to pack...way more so than my Glock 22. Then I discovered the whole bobtail mainspring housing thing, and I never looked back.

I know that this doesn't have anything to do with an H&K anything, just my experience with gun "X" vs. 1911.

Really, it's what you're comfortable carrying. Chances of having to use it are slim, and chances of that chance being anything more than a couple of shots inside of 7 yards are even slimmer. The 1911 platform works for me, thankfully, after way too many years of combat Tupperware.
    The keys to winning a gunfight are first to bring a gun and secondly to take your time, quickly.

Always remember that if your opponent is within range, so are you.

POWER TO THE MEPEOPLE!!!

Well, I think it depends on what you are using it for. The city SWAT team out here all carry USP .45s. The guys on the county SWAT team and most of the County deputies that know their guns carry 1911s. Like most have said, the 1911 conceals a whole lot better. But you can beat the hell out of a USP, run it without any lubrication and hardly every clean it and it still works. Can't exactly say that about most 1911s.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Ok, it sounds like we agree on the 1911. I put 100 rounds of 230 grain hardball through the H&K last night. No failures of any kind. It's accurate (for a short barrel) and found the mag release to be ok. My H&K is a variant 1 which means I can choose double action or single action for the first shot. I found the DA to be a bit long, but it was smoother than most of the other DA .45's I have tried. The SA was nice. Better than my R!A 1911A1 and a little behind my Springfield loaded hi cap. I think I might trade the H&K for a compact 1911 if I can find one. The H&K is a top quality piece and I would have been thrilled with it if I never handled a 1911.

UPDATE... I traded the H&K straight up for a nice Colt Defender, stainless with 8 extra mags. Funny thing is I called a couple of dealers looking for a reasonable trade for a defender and they both told me they had a used defender in the $700 range and they would only allow $350 to $400 on my H&K. Strange how anything I have become worthless and anything I want is suddenly rare and costly!!!Chuck.

Selling used guns

Quote Originally Posted by crankshop1000 View Post
    UPDATE... I traded the H&K straight up for a nice Colt Defender, stainless with 8 extra mags. Funny thing is I called a couple of dealers looking for a reasonable trade for a defender and they both told me they had a used defender in the $700 range and they would only allow $350 to $400 on my H&K. Strange how anything I have become worthless and anything I want is suddenly rare and costly!!!Chuck.
    Your story illustrates the folly of trading one gun for another through a gun dealer. You are always better to find an individual buyer for your gun and sell it to him directly. This takes longer and is more trouble, but you can get a normal market price for your used gun.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I just can't get used to that extremely long trigger pull on the hk's. While I have no doubt about their reliability, I just am not used to pulling a trigger that far with my small hands.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

H&K offers variant 1 which means you can carry it SAO if you want to (condition 1 just like a 1911).The long DA trigger pull isn't an issue.

i have an HK usp compact in .40. i know you already traded (i also looove the 1911's) but just wanted to post up some stuff for others reading now and in the future. there are different springs that can be used to lighten up the DA trigger (and the SA for that matter) as well as LEM kits that are sort of like DAO except the hammer is always "pre cocked." the match trigger is nice, but not available for the compact (though i believe some have custom modified one to fit). just some info on the HK's. quite a bit of the stuff that has been mentioned as negatives can be adjusted to better suit the needs of the shooter.

The H&K is a fine pistol, i have a P7M8 as well as the Mark23 socom but the 1911 trigger is still alot better, smooth, crisp, makes for a very accurate pistol.
    When the dust settles only the prepared will survive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

remember the only thing common about common sense is that its not that common

Shoot low boys their riding Shetland ponies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links