Rohrbaugh R9S - Care and Feeding

This is a discussion on Rohrbaugh R9S - Care and Feeding within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ran into some problems with my R9S during a range visit a few weeks back. I've since worked through the problems, so I thought I'd ...

Thread: Rohrbaugh R9S - Care and Feeding

Ran into some problems with my R9S during a range visit a few weeks back. I've since worked through the problems, so I thought I'd share my experience with others who have (or are thinking about buying) a Rohrbaugh.

1) Failure to Fire (FTF) - in the R9, this is usually caused by using the wrong ammo. I tried using UMC, and experienced about 10% FTFs. With the recommended ammo (Speer Gold Dot), I had no FTFs. The Rohrbaugh is particularly sensitive to ammo with hard primers (like UMC).

2) The grip screws MUST be checked each and every time you clean the gun. If the right grip loosens up, the trigger spring can shift and make the trigger inoperable. Use a 1/16" allen key to tighten the grip screws, and blue Loc-Tite if they loosen continuously.

3) The recoil spring MUST be changed every 100 rounds. I went about 120 before replacing mine, and the new spring was almost 1/8 inch longer than the worn out one.

4) Metal particles in the gun at teardown. Again, caused by using the wrong ammo. The metal shavings are actually brass shavings from spent cartridges; clean the gun, switch to the right ammo and the problem goes away.

The R9S isn't for everyone, as it can be punishing to shoot and expensive to maintain (if you feed it only GDHP ammo). I'm happy with mine, especially now that I've worked through the "owner break in" issues.

Assistant Administrator
    Not much to add ...... this about covers things. Indeed, ammo sensitive is very true.

Much of this is too much for many folks to accept with such a pricey gun but - I still like mine a lot even tho it is really just BUG mostly. The latest springs are I think a lot better and .. the latest (longer) mag springs with the latest followers also help enormously.

The other factor IMO that has been a big useful change is a very small easing of tolerances between slide and frame and so it runs better without risks of any slide drag - in early days grease and tight tolerancing did for me induce enough slide drag to just be a problem. Easier fit and oil - makes for good results.

Much has improved over time - my small site on the gun is not really maintained much these days - no time .. but it contains some early evaluations and problem descriptions etc.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by UpOn2Wheels View Post
    1) Failure to Fire (FTF) - in the R9, this is usually caused by using the wrong ammo. I tried using UMC, and experienced about 10% FTFs. With the recommended ammo (Speer Gold Dot), I had no FTFs. The Rohrbaugh is particularly sensitive to ammo with hard primers (like UMC).
    As stated above, you covered all the main issues. I would suggest that you use Winchester White Box 9mm as range ammo. My R9 Elite has never had a FTF or FTE with the WWB stuff which I get from Wal Mart. I use the Speer Gold Dots for carry and not one hiccup as yet but pricey to shoot. I bought a bulk quantity a while back and run 1-2 mags through the R9 about every other trip to the range.

That Remington UMC is garbage. I used to buy it all the time from Dick's with the bulk pricing. It fouls up all my guns and shoots really dirty. I will pay the extra for other range ammo from now on.

Despite being "punishing" to shoot I now pocket carry almost all the time and my IWB has gone by the wayside. I love my R9. Thinking of getting a Smart Carry for some other alternative carry pieces but nothing will replace the R9.
    A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

CCW: Dan Wesson CBOB ~ Springfield Micro Compact ~ Rohrbaugh R9 Elite ~ S&W 442 ~ Cougar 8000 Model L

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Not much to add ...... this about covers things. Indeed, ammo sensitive is very true.

Much of this is too much for many folks to accept with such a pricey gun but - I still like mine a lot even tho it is really just BUG mostly. The latest springs are I think a lot better and .. the latest (longer) mag springs with the latest followers also help enormously.

The other factor IMO that has been a big useful change is a very small easing of tolerances between slide and frame and so it runs better without risks of any slide drag - in early days grease and tight tolerancing did for me induce enough slide drag to just be a problem. Easier fit and oil - makes for good results.

Much has improved over time - my small site on the gun is not really maintained much these days - no time .. but it contains some early evaluations and problem descriptions etc.
    I have your Rohrbaugh site bookmarked - there's some great info out there!

Links