Checkering on Eagle Secret Service Grips

This is a discussion on Checkering on Eagle Secret Service Grips within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would like to know your opinion on: (1) Whether checkering is desirable on Eagle Secret Service Grips. The gun, in question, is an SP-101 ...

I would like to know your opinion on:

(1) Whether checkering is desirable on Eagle Secret Service Grips. The gun, in question, is an SP-101 .38+P. Some people believe that checkering helps to manage recoil, while others believe that it causes clothing drag while carrying concealed.

(2) If the Eagle Secret Service Grip fits the whole hand, or whether the fifth finger must be curled underneath the end of the grip.

My first set of Eagle Secret Service stocks did not have the checkering. I found that it felt slippery and unstable in my hand and I quit using them. I bought a second set with the checkering and the problem is solved. Definitely advise you to spend the extra $20.00 and get the checkering. On the Secret Service stocks your pinky finger will curl underneath the end of it.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Just got my "Eagles" for my SP101, here are a few observations:

1. Decent fit, reasonable quality but definitely not as high end as "Badger Grips".
    2. They are smaller in size over all than Badger bood grips and are roughly the same size (maybe a tad more) than Pachmyr Compac grips
    3. Mine are smooth and they're VERY smooth! I haven't shot mine yet but if I was to order them again I would definitely go checkered, however, if the checkering is too sharp then I'd change my mind and end up with two pair
    4. Mine have a fit problem. The leading edge of the grips towards the trigger guard/cylinder area actually protrudes about an 1/8 of an inch past the back of the trigger guard towards the trigger. As a resul, when you pull the trigger, you feel the sharp leading edge of the grips with the tip/pad of the index trigger finger. I don't like that because if feels like it's being pinched a little. With .357 rounds I don't think this'll be good. I wrote to Eagle last night asking about his and whether-or-not this was the way they make them to fit or if this was just a bad fit. I could carve that area down but it would be a very obvious change and then you have to worry about matching a finish, etc. IMHO; the grips shouldn't enter into the area of the trigger guard at all.
    5. They do look nice on the gun but do not conceal as well as the OEM grips

So in your case, I think I'd recommend you get the checkered grips, it'll definitly make your grip more stable.

God Bless
    Gideon

Links