Sig P245...anyone have one?

This is a discussion on Sig P245...anyone have one? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A friend recently turned me on to the merits of .45. Granted, he's in the "shoot a man with a .45 in the pinky and ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pogo2

Thread: Sig P245...anyone have one?

Sig P245...anyone have one?

A friend recently turned me on to the merits of .45. Granted, he's in the "shoot a man with a .45 in the pinky and he'll fall over dead" camp, but I admit after shooting some that the .45 has merit, so I started looking. I was thinking about a 1911, something in the 5-600 dollar range. When I stopped by the pawn shop earlier this week, I noticed they had a Sig P245 on hand, with night sights. It points well, I like the feel, and of course I love the Sig name and the proven reliability that comes with it. The price is a little higher than I was thinking about (625) but I think the tritium alone makes up for that, if I can convince the woman of it.

So, how about it? Anyone have one, or any thoughts for or against getting it?
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

Semper Vigilans et Paratus

2. Remove Ads

P245

There's nothing wrong with the Sig P245 for CCW, and it has a good reputation for reliability. The grip and barrel length are shorter than the Sig P220, so it conceals more easily. I believe the P245 is now out of production at Sig, and has been replaced by other model numbers with similar dimensions. I do think that the $650 price for a used one is a little high, as used P220s are going in the $500 to $550 range in most cases.

The P245 gives you 6+1 rounds of .45 in a fairly heavy gun - it weighs about 30 ounces empty with a 3.9 inch barrel. For carry purposes you might want to compare it to the Glock 30, which weighs about 25 ounces empty, has 10 round capacity and costs about $550 new.
    ericb327 likes this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Here's an enthusiastic P245 owner. It's a great platform with an often under reported charm, viz. versatility! Sig not only offers the standard 6 round magazines. It also offers 8 round mags with extenders that provide a full-length grip. So you can have a factory "chopped" P220 with a shortened butt if you need to work extra hard to conceal, OR you can use an 8 round/full-length grip if you'd like the extra control. Pick your poison.

On other stuff: The P245 is a Sig. Generally very accurate out of the box. Dependable. Easy to strip/clean. High quality. (I also have a P220 of similar vintage. Great guns!)
    Last edited by PeterCartwright; January 21st, 2008 at 05:43 PM.

Last spring, I purchased a NIB P245 and it is a great gun. You can see my initial range report on it (and others) here. Within a few weeks of my purchasing the 245, Sig came out with their new 220 Compact. Basically the same gun as the 245 but in a current production model. Bud's gun shop shows the 220 Compact currently in stock at a price of 808.00 delivered (though you would have FFL expenses on your end). You can see their ad here. I purchased my NIB P245 from Patel's Repair and he still shows some in stock at $650.00 NIB. He was great to deal with but by the time you add night sights to one, you aren't far off of the Bud's price for a new 220 Compact.

Whatever your choice, P245 or 220C, you'll have a great gun and I think you'll be very happy with it.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

VIP Member
    I'd love to add one to my (very) small SIG collection; I think they are a great gun.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Friend had one......just a hair short in the grip for me. I have pretty small hands for my size. I would look at the p220 carry. May be able to find one CPO for the price you want.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I also purchased one in the spring. It is a great carry gun and I have it in my carry rotation, I had Truglo tritium fiber optic sights which make it a superb shooter and carry gun. Like previous posters I have read that Sig has replaced it with a model called the 220 carry.

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    ...Sig came out with their new 220 Compact. Basically the same gun as the 245 but in a current production model.

Hoss
    This is not to be confused with the P220 Carry, which is the P245 slide on a full-size frame. (Sorry, I have problems keeping them straight. This is not meant to talk down to anyone.)

Cheers,
    Herk
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

I have the P220 Compact, which is the replacement for the P245. The main difference between the two is that 220 Compact has a beavertail frame. The 220 Compact is my daily carry weapon and is generally a pleasure to shoot.

As was stated before, if you are set on getting a 245, Patel's is probably the best place to start looking.
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

Links