Sig P245...anyone have one?

This is a discussion on Sig P245...anyone have one? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A friend recently turned me on to the merits of .45. Granted, he's in the "shoot a man with a .45 in the pinky and ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pogo2

Thread: Sig P245...anyone have one?

A friend recently turned me on to the merits of .45. Granted, he's in the "shoot a man with a .45 in the pinky and he'll fall over dead" camp, but I admit after shooting some that the .45 has merit, so I started looking. I was thinking about a 1911, something in the 5-600 dollar range. When I stopped by the pawn shop earlier this week, I noticed they had a Sig P245 on hand, with night sights. It points well, I like the feel, and of course I love the Sig name and the proven reliability that comes with it. The price is a little higher than I was thinking about (625) but I think the tritium alone makes up for that, if I can convince the woman of it.

So, how about it? Anyone have one, or any thoughts for or against getting it?
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

Semper Vigilans et Paratus

There's nothing wrong with the Sig P245 for CCW, and it has a good reputation for reliability. The grip and barrel length are shorter than the Sig P220, so it conceals more easily. I believe the P245 is now out of production at Sig, and has been replaced by other model numbers with similar dimensions. I do think that the $650 price for a used one is a little high, as used P220s are going in the $500 to $550 range in most cases.

The P245 gives you 6+1 rounds of .45 in a fairly heavy gun - it weighs about 30 ounces empty with a 3.9 inch barrel. For carry purposes you might want to compare it to the Glock 30, which weighs about 25 ounces empty, has 10 round capacity and costs about $550 new.
    ericb327 likes this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Michigan's U.P.
    Here's an enthusiastic P245 owner. It's a great platform with an often under reported charm, viz. versatility! Sig not only offers the standard 6 round magazines. It also offers 8 round mags with extenders that provide a full-length grip. So you can have a factory "chopped" P220 with a shortened butt if you need to work extra hard to conceal, OR you can use an 8 round/full-length grip if you'd like the extra control. Pick your poison.

On other stuff: The P245 is a Sig. Generally very accurate out of the box. Dependable. Easy to strip/clean. High quality. (I also have a P220 of similar vintage. Great guns!)
    Last edited by PeterCartwright; January 21st, 2008 at 05:43 PM.

Last spring, I purchased a NIB P245 and it is a great gun. You can see my initial range report on it (and others) here. Within a few weeks of my purchasing the 245, Sig came out with their new 220 Compact. Basically the same gun as the 245 but in a current production model. Bud's gun shop shows the 220 Compact currently in stock at a price of 808.00 delivered (though you would have FFL expenses on your end). You can see their ad here. I purchased my NIB P245 from Patel's Repair and he still shows some in stock at $650.00 NIB. He was great to deal with but by the time you add night sights to one, you aren't far off of the Bud's price for a new 220 Compact.

Whatever your choice, P245 or 220C, you'll have a great gun and I think you'll be very happy with it.

Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

VIP Member
    I'd love to add one to my (very) small SIG collection; I think they are a great gun.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

West Virginia
    Friend had one......just a hair short in the grip for me. I have pretty small hands for my size. I would look at the p220 carry. May be able to find one CPO for the price you want.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Murfreesboro, TN
    I also purchased one in the spring. It is a great carry gun and I have it in my carry rotation, I had Truglo tritium fiber optic sights which make it a superb shooter and carry gun. Like previous posters I have read that Sig has replaced it with a model called the 220 carry.

Waypoint 0
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    ...Sig came out with their new 220 Compact. Basically the same gun as the 245 but in a current production model.

This is not to be confused with the P220 Carry, which is the P245 slide on a full-size frame. (Sorry, I have problems keeping them straight. This is not meant to talk down to anyone.)

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

I have the P220 Compact, which is the replacement for the P245. The main difference between the two is that 220 Compact has a beavertail frame. The 220 Compact is my daily carry weapon and is generally a pleasure to shoot.

As was stated before, if you are set on getting a 245, Patel's is probably the best place to start looking.
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links