Pros and Cons of Weapon Mounted Lights

This is a discussion on Pros and Cons of Weapon Mounted Lights within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There probably is some cool factor for some, but for many, FOF scenario training has more to do with it than cool. After numerous FOF ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pros and Cons of Weapon Mounted Lights

Senior Moderator
    There probably is some cool factor for some, but for many, FOF scenario training has more to do with it than cool. After numerous FOF scenarios and complementing drills, I saw the value of the WML.

We need to be careful about 'isolating'; i.e. picking a scenario(s) that favors a particular issue when there are extenuating circumstances often involved. E.g. how does one manage a light, a child, cell phone, etc., and a gun with only two hands?

I agree that training with WMLs is valuable, but no more so than training in the proper use of handhelds. A snafu that was illustrated to us in a FOF scenario, was that when a person has his attention in one direction, and his gun in another, e.g. gun pointing say east as the person looks to the north or west, with or without a light, and he sees a threat, what does he do? As it was explained to us, all too ofen in the real world, the person starts shooting as he pivots toward the threat.

So being forced to direct the gun with the light is not a bad thing, IF DONE PROPERLY. It is a bad thing to have a light pointed one direction and start shooting as we pivot to the light.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I've been to some schools where I've seen them fly off the guns hehehehehe
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Senior Moderator
    The "splash effect" of the WML is quite useful, too.

If I hold my carbine in a low ready, the outer cone of the light, combined with reflection from the floor, is sufficient to identify a person without training the muzzle directly on them.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    You do not need to aim a flashlight to illumininate an object!
    I disagree. There are circumstances that would prevent "light spill" from sufficiently illuminating a target for identification. I've trained for both weapon mounted and off weapon light use, off weapon light use was by far the most flexible in my experience. Among other things, the most important difference to me is the ability to aim your light independent of your firearm. You can directly illuminate something without having your weapon pointed at it.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    I disagree. There are circumstances that would prevent "light spill" from sufficiently illuminating a target for identification. I've trained for both weapon mounted and off weapon light use, off weapon light use was by far the most flexible in my experience. Among other things, the most important difference to me is the ability to aim your light independent of your firearm. You can directly illuminate something without having your weapon pointed at it.
    I dont think we disagree at all... I agree with everything you have said. A WML is no replacement for a hand held, but as someone who does multiple building searchs every day and some one who seeks out armed people in a variety of situations weekly, the WML is a valueable tool... if you know how to use it. It isnt to be used as a simple flashlight. You can easily illuminate what you want without pointing your weapon at it, you just have to think outside of the box.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I dont think we disagree at all... I agree with everything you have said. A WML is no replacement for a hand held, but as someone who does multiple building searchs every day and some one who seeks out armed people in a variety of situations weekly, the WML is a valueable tool... if you know how to use it. It isnt to be used as a simple flashlight. You can easily illuminate what you want without pointing your weapon at it, you just have to think outside of the box.
    Very well then.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

My house gun has a M-6 Streamlight flashlight/laser mounted on a Baby Eagle .40 caliber. In a self defense situation the light is bright enough to blind an intruder in my opinion rather then make me a target. I always worried about my daughter, son or wife being up and I want to be able to identify them rather then walk through the house without being able to see well. The only time I've had an occasion to use it was on a feral dog that tried to take me on at out place in the country. The laser aiming point worked great. I can't imagine clearing my house without it.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I think a WML is a nice option to have in addition to the handheld light. My favorite handheld, the Surefire M3 Millenium, is a formidable weapon itself. I use a Surefire X200 light that can be attached to several of my firearms. The two lights, together, cost as much as a decent autopistol, but are just as important as the pistol. Rather than go into a long dissertation, I will just say I generally agree with SIXTO's posts in this topic. I work big-city police patrol at night; using lights is a very normal thing for me. Being a country boy originally, though, I use the lights less than most of my co-workers. (less burn time)

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    Just like tracers, light's work both ways.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

No cons other than bulk.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links