XD 9/40sc vs XD 45c & Concealment

This is a discussion on XD 9/40sc vs XD 45c & Concealment within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How much harder is the 45c to conceal than a XDsc? I already have a XD 9sc but I am wanting to move up to ...

Thread: XD 9/40sc vs XD 45c & Concealment

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar

XD 9/40sc vs XD 45c & Concealment

How much harder is the 45c to conceal than a XDsc? I already have a XD 9sc but I am wanting to move up to a larger bore. I like the XD 9 and am trying to decide between the 40sc & 45c.

Thanks for your input

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    The .40S&W would offer a larger caliber but you can keep all the same holsters you already have for the 9. I have the XD40SC,love it

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    I was torn between the .40SC and the 9SC. The 9mm was easier to shoot. Comparing it with the .45, the 9/.40SC is smaller and they have greater capacity.

If you acquire a good holster they are equally easy to conceal.

Just curious, why do you think a larger bore is 'moving up?'

I like my XD40sc a lot, however, looking back on it I might choose the 45 instead. I find that the barrel is not the hard part to conceal for me, it's the grip.

Have you shot the 40sc yet? I hate it when everyone says, "shoot both and decide" so I won't say it. I think it is also good to find someone who shot both and get their input. That being said, I haven't shot the compact 45 so how about somebody let me shoot theirs and then I can give Bill some honest feedback!

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    I don't want this to turn into a 9 vs 45 thread because if the 9HP bullet works the way it is designed to and you make shot placement then the BG is in a world of hurt. But here in the midwest during the winter and heavy coats season you don't always get expansion and the hole in a 45 is somwhat bigger than the 9 last time I looked. Therefore the hole in BG should be larger also.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Not much harder to conceal. I carry an XD45 Compact in a Dakota Defender IWB holster. Not a problem keeping it concealed.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I have both and they are my carry guns. The 45C is is a little thicker and the grip is a little longer which both make it a little more difficult to conceal. The main difference is weight. The 45 is considerably heavier. I prefer the 45 and it gets more of the carry time in the winter and the 9SC gets most of the carry time in the summer. They do fit the same holsters, which is very convenient. I really enjoy owning both and recommend it greatly. They shoot essentially the same (same grip angle, same controls, same sights, and same trigger) so switching back and forth is no problem.
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace" George Washington

I also have a xd9 (service) and an xd45 (tactical). I agree with normal that they fit in the same holster, and that the dimensions on the .45 is slightly larger (barrel length being the greatest). The holster I have is a crossbreed. If you want a holster to fit both guns, beware that some holsters are limited by barrel length.

Distinguished Member
    AS they should be .

Links