Defensive Carry banner

Beretta 92fs or Sig 226

8K views 37 replies 31 participants last post by  Glockwatcher 
#1 ·
Looking for my newest ccw and home defense pistol. Currently carry a 1911 or Glock 26. I know both firearms are big but that is what I want. Just cant decide, keep going back and forth. I think Berettas are beautful and Sigs have the reputation. just looking to try something different. I cant rent these guns. I have an extensive firearms background.:hand5: These two firearms have eluded me and am looking to broaden my horizon.Which would YOU purchase.:comeandgetsome:

#2 ·
Both good guns; but I'd select the Beretta 92FS.

Back when I was issued the P228 9mm, I purchased the equivalent Beretta 92F Compact (92FC). I preferred the 92FC due to it having manual safety, it fit my hand better, I shot it better, and the action and trigger felt smoother in my hands.

I am currently issued the P229 which it, like the SIG P226 and P228, is a great gun; I even prefer my Beretta 96F Centurion over the P229....and I like my Beretta 92 FC Type M over my SIG P6 which are both eight-shot/plus one 9mm's single stack guns.

What can I say....I like my Berettas!

#3 ·
I'm the opposite.
I had a Berretta and traded it off. It wasn't a bad gun, it was just clunky and ugly.

Sometime there after, I got started with the Sig.

My first one was a 220 which I use for my duty gun when I play Deputy, then the second one was a .40 239. Then a 9mm 226. Then a 9mm 225, and soon thereafter a 226 in .357 Sig. After that a .380 230 that I'll probably never carry.

So if I were recommending one it would be the Sig, but in all honesty I think the Beretta is a great gun too. Either one will do you well.

#10 ·
Both of these are quality guns, equally so I would say. So there is no "better" gun over the other. Some will prefer Sig and some Beretta, nobody can decide this for you. It must be your decision, and only you can make the right one. I love my Italian made 92F it is definetly not what I would call a "clunker", good luck and if both guns feel equally in your hand, flip a coin, and in the end buy both of them!!
NCH

#11 ·
I have both, and to be honest, as much as I respect Sig's "To hell and back reliability" if the 92FS weren't so long (barrel), it'd be my pick. But it's length does cause me some concealment issues. Of course the right holster helps, but it's still a long gun - longer than a 5" 1911.

Having said that, yesterday I ordered a Sig 220 Carry - what can I say?

#23 ·
That being the case, then you'd want a Centurion or a Compact.

For folks that replied that the manual safety on an "F" series 92 is a no-go for you, then you can go with the decock-only "G" or DAO "D" series 92's.

#13 ·
My brother-in-law bought the Sig and I bought the Beretta. We shoot together at the range and swap out guns on occasion. I can honestly say, these two guns are in a league of their own. They are as equal as two handguns can be. One is not better than the other. The Beretta was a better fit for my hand and the Sig was a better fit for bil's hand. I liked the looks of the Beretta over the Sig and bil liked the looks of the Sig over the Beretta. I believe this decision is strictly up to you.

#16 ·
As others have stated previously...it's really a matter personal choice. I "personally" own a 92FS and think it is one of the best looking & shooting guns out there. (yep biased) But on the other hand, I too am seriously looking at the SIG226 in 9mm as my next purchase.:hand5:

#17 ·
My vote for SIG classic (P220, 226, 229, 239, 232) regardless of the model over any other handgun - from an operation, maintenance, reliability, accuracy, deisgn, etc standpoint(s).

I have carried for years both being discussed.

Manual safety and magazine disconnect on a handgun - No Thank you. I want a semi-auto that operates in part like a revolver on the first shot - draw and shoot only two actions without any intermediate steps (like take the manual safety off).

Holster up a 92F with safety on. Draw and shoot "one" handed, then do the same with SIG. Which is smoother and fastest ? Clicking that manual safety off with the shooting hand thumb slows the action reconsiderable.

I do like the DA/SA. DA explained above. SA quicker follow up and set up for the next shot. SA just in case there is a need to take the slow precision "one" shot close in or at a distance.

#33 ·
I know this is an old thread but just take the safety off of the Beretta once it is in your holster and it is the same as the Sig. I own both guns and despite the Beretta feeling fatter in the grip, the trigger reach is shorter and therefore I feel more comfortable shooting that first DA shot.

#18 ·
226 and the 92 where the last guns in the military trials to select the new Military pistol. When they finally did pick the Beretta Over the Sig IIRC it was more politics and also lack of certain features the Military required on a pistol. I.E. Manual Safety etc.....

I have both guns and there both great. The Beretta has never Failed and the Sig has never failed. However, I have noticed with some of the newer Sigs it may seem like Quality is somewhat slipping. My friend purhcased a new 229 and it was constantly having feeding and extracting issues with factory ammo.

He called Sig and they told him they have a break in period. My response for a combat gun there should not be a break in period required that incorporates failures out of a Sig Sauer.

This could have been a lemon, but i'm starting to see more customers NIB sigs with similar issues.
I would actually recommend seeking out an older 226 maybe a LE Trade in gun from CDNN.

#19 ·
The only real complaint I have about the Beretta is the safety. It doesn't slow me down, as I just leave it 'off' with the hammer down on a chambered round - that's not the issue. The issue is inadvertantly engaging the safety while manipulating the slide in the 'slingshot' fashion - I have done this numerous times. When pinching the rear of the slide with the thumb and fingers, you can also pinch the safety lever, and flip it down ('on') while racking/releasing the slide. Yes, this could be overcome with training or a different technique, but I like the slingshot over the other techniques I've tried and the M9/92 isn't the easiest to use in this way. Other than that, it's a fine pistol - big, certainly, but a good fighting handgun.

All that being said - Sig for me.

#20 ·
very true as well.

I would simple sit down weight Pros vs. Cons. and decide which one is better.

Because I've her stoop poop that they may discontinue the 92 for civly sails and just keep the 90-two, SiG 226 will probably ALWAYS be manufactured. Or at least until they come out with the NEEDLER or the Plasma Pistol.

#25 ·
I have used and carried both....and own both. I say go with the P226.

Here's why...the Beretta has a lot of sharp edges (front & rear sights) and places where fingers can go (open slide), plus having to engage (or disengage) a safety.

I dislike the Beretta mostly because of its sharp edges for a concealed weapon....but it is a fun gun to shoot.

Another thing, Beretta touted the open slide as making it easier to clear debris from the weapon should it get dirty. My experience from Iraq (x2)--debris (sand and the like) FALLS IN the weapon too...

#26 ·
I've put thousands of rounds through the two guns. I love them both. But, the Sig feels better and is more accurate, at least in my hands. The trigger feels better, the grip feels better.

Someone said they like the Beretta better because it had a safety. I like the Sig because it doesn't- one less thing that could go wrong.

Either way, you'll be getting a great pistol.

#27 ·
To be honest, if I were you I wouldn't get either since it sounds like you are already familiar with the 1911 style safety (unless you want to spend months re-training). The other two pistols have a very different "manual of arms" so to speak. Enough of a difference to be a real pain if you need to use one and your fingers and thumbs default to the old 1911 mode of operation. I would say if you want a da/sa get a CZ 75 or a CZ SP01. Either is a da/sa with a 1911 friendly safety. To answer your question on which I think is the better gun to get, I would say the SIG, hands down. Actually, that makes me remember something: there is a sig 226 with the 1911 C&L style safety now, tho I here it's a little pricey. That would be your best bet in my opinion.

#28 ·
Wow.. thats comparing to pistols that are great. I've owned both and I prefer the Beretta a little over the 226, but like a previous poster said, they are both exceptional pistols.

If I had to choose between the two. I would probably pick the P226 just because of a slightly better overall feel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.