Buff a Kahr?

Buff a Kahr?

This is a discussion on Buff a Kahr? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Kahr MK40. It's my regular daily carry. Gun runs great, eats everything I feed it and I absolutely trust it. My question ...

Thread: Buff a Kahr?

Buff a Kahr?

I have a Kahr MK40. It's my regular daily carry. Gun runs great, eats everything I feed it and I absolutely trust it. My question is simply a cosmetic one. The stainless exterior of the gun is looking a bit dull. I am looking for some suggestions on how to give the gun exterior a little luster. Anyone have any suggestions on how to give the exterior a good cleaning and shine? I am not looking to make this baby like a mirror, I am simply looking for a way to give the exterior a little life and luster. I was thinking maybe a good cleaning and a little buff with the dremel soft buff tool. Anyone know of any products that I can use to give the stainless exterior a good cleaning? Anyone know of anything that would give it a nice clean shine? I don't mind a multi-step process. I know there are places that I can send it to be refinished, but I really don't want to send it anywhere, I would like this to be a do-it-yourself job. Like I said, I am not looking for a mirror shine, just s nice looking stainless exterior. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Last edited by Ti Carry; January 22nd, 2008 at 11:19 PM. Reason: To change link!
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish

I have a product named "Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish" that I bought in an auto supply store. It is normally used to clean and polish magnesium and aluminum automobile wheels, but it works well on stainless steel. I have used it to clean and polish several stainless guns, and it does a good job. You don't need any power tool like a Dremel - just a cotton rag and some elbow grease is adequate.

Here is my S&W 66 snubby which I clean periodically with the product:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Mothers is also an excellent choice. I have had great luck (even better results than the Mag and Aluminum Polish) with the Mothers Billet metal polish but both are a very good choice. You will have that Kahr shinning like Pogo's 66 in 10-15 minutes of cleaning.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    ...Here is my S&W 66 snubby which I clean periodically with the product...
    Does Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish make it easier to clean the exterior surfaces?

I'm looking for a finish I can apply to my Model 627 that'll help remove the residue after I've fired it numerous times. Right now if I shoot 25 rounds or more the thing gets really filthy on the outside. While this is normal it is often difficult to remove without fine steel wool.

Just curious...

Residual effect?

Quote Originally Posted by Lobo_79 View Post
    Does Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish make it easier to clean the exterior surfaces?

I'm looking for a finish I can apply to my Model 627 that'll help remove the residue after I've fired it numerous times. Right now if I shoot 25 rounds or more the thing gets really filthy on the outside. While this is normal it is often difficult to remove without fine steel wool.
    I don't believe there is any "residual" effect from Mothers Polish that makes the gun easier to clean later, after shooting. After I use it I wipe off any residue and am pretty much down to bare stainless steel. I mainly use the polish to clean off the black rings on the face of the stainless revolver cylinder that form during shooting. This is hard to remove with ordinary solvent, so I use a soft toothbrush and some Mothers Polish to remove it. It is also good for removing the black residue around the forcing cone of the barrel and at the end of the barrel.

I have read (but never tried personally) that you can put automobile wax on your guns after cleaning and buff it to a shine. Then the wax will make later removal of powder residue much easier, after you have shot the gun. This seems to make sense, as a waxed automobile is much easier to clean because the dirt slides off easily.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Just get some Boeshield T9. It's made for that. Developed by Boeing Aircraft for corrosion protection. It's essentially paraffin wax in a solvent carrier, plus some secret awesome sauce probably. Spray light and buff for everyday/carry protection, or spray heavy for storage. Needs cleaned off if used heavy as it may build up some. Works great for cast iron tool protection to in Florida heat and humidity for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    Just get some Boeshield T9.
    Thanks for the heads up...I'll get some.

I bought a used K9 that the frame was tarnished. I stared with 400 grit sandpaper and finished with 600 grit. When using the 400 grit I only stroked in one direction, no circular motion and used very light strokes. I practiced on a portion of the frame that was not readly noticable till I got the process down. I used the same process with the 600 grit. My Kahr had a lot of sharp edges especially around the trigger guard and the dustcover area. Those areas are smoothed over nicely now. The frame now has a mirror like appearence, however I plan on having the frame plated in a Ti Grey ceramic finish whenever JR (The Shooter's Roost) gets his operation set back up in Mt Airy, NC.

I have a CW9 and didn't like the sharp edges. I started with a fine file about eight inches long followed by 80 grit wet sandpaper then 220 grit, followed by Mother's Mag polish. Total time about five hours. It's very presentable but I will be doing more with the 220 grit at some later date when the mood hits me, of course followed by Mother's. All edges have a nice rounded edge to them now.

Links