H&K P7

This is a discussion on H&K P7 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I didn't want to hijack the thread of the p7 with new grips, so I started this one. I find the p7 an intriguing gun, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H&K P7

H&K P7

I didn't want to hijack the thread of the p7 with new grips, so I started this one. I find the p7 an intriguing gun, but know very little about it. I just finished reading a book where the main characters edc was a p7. So my questions kinda go as follows:
    What makes this gun different from the rest other than the looks?
    What is with the grip? is it some sort of safety or an ergonomic design?
    I just looked at the price for one of these and it was around 1200-1400 is this normal??
    I've seen a lot of articles about getting these refinished...is there a problem with the finish?
    Anyways, just looking to hear from some of the owners. These don't seem to be a very common handgun, so it isn't like I'll probably get a chance to shoot one, but I just wanted to know more than what I could just find on the sales ad.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

2. Remove Ads

I To have been wondering about these pistols recently

VIP Member
    The P7 series (PSP, P7, P7M8, P7M13, P7M10, P7K3) all have a front strap that you must squeeze to cock the weapon. To render the weapon safe, you release the front strap.

In a way, the front strap is a "safety device" but not in the classic sense....to fire the gun you must press or squeeze the front strap and keep it squeezed when firing the gun. Massad Ayoob has documented instances of P7-armed LEOs being disarmed and the bad guys not being able to fire the gun because they didn't squeeze the front strap hard enough.

The front strap also operates as a slide release.

$1200 to $1400 for a P7....yes that is normal in most cases, depending on the P7 you purchase and the condition....a German surplused P7 "PSP" will generally run you between $550 to $700 depending on the condition.

To learn more about the differences between the various P7's, look here:

Chris's Unofficial H&K P7 Website

and here:

Shev's Unofficial P7 Page

and here:

Park Cities Tactical: The Cult of the P7
    Last edited by srfl; January 24th, 2008 at 12:44 AM.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Interesting, so it is a design factor that makes it so different. So you squeeze it to cock it continue to squeeze to fire, and squeeze to release the slide. That's pretty interesting how they've managed to fit this into a single function...you said that there are surplus ones available, so this must be something that has been around for a long time? Really appreciate the good feedback.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    This is a good vid about the P7 operation, enjoy...
    HK P7 series promo.mpg

also here's a great site with loads of general HK info;
    HKPRO:* Contents

Tom states squeeze cocker was invented in 1918.
    ripley beat me to it

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by S3ymour View Post
    ...you said that there are surplus ones available, so this must be something that has been around for a long time? Really appreciate the good feedback.
    CDNN is selling Saxony Police trade-ins for $599 or $675, depending on the condition. These are outstanding prices. The reports are that the pistols are in excellent condition. These are older PSP models with the heel mag release. I don't personally have a CDNN trade-in, I bought my P7s prior to the Saxony Invasion, but if I hadn't, I would surely buy one now.

EW3
    I like the idea of a squeeze cocker, but what if?

What if you are disabled to the point where you have to fire say left handed, with a knife wound? Are you going to have enough strength to be able to squeeze and fire off the round that may save you?

Just a thought...
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

I have 3 of em...............paid about 375.00 for two of them (back in 1980-82) and then 550.00 for one with hard chromw and night sights.........best handgun I've ever owned.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

P7

As for the finish, I understand that some were refinished at the factory and many were police trade ins of some sort that had a department logo on the slide. These were machined off, leaving a slight groove on the slides. Some of the refinishing jobs leave a plum colored finish. SOme of the bluing has a mottled look. There is an outfit in FL called Ford's that will remove the machine mark, recut the slide markings (or customize them) and refinish for a good fair price.

As for shooting it weak handed, if you can hold and fire a handgun, you can use the squeeze cocker. If you were injured to the point you couldn't fire the gun, you probably couldn't hold onto a handgun at all. And, if you are struggling for posession of the gun, if the trigger is back squeezing the grip will fire a shot.

It takes some getting used to but it's an accurate gun and it gets you bonus style points.

Would also add...there have been incedents of an LEO getting his P7 taken by a BG and since the guy was unfimiliar with the gun, he pulls the trigger and it doesn't go bang....gives the LEO time for plan B.

I have 3 and the only reason I would own 3 of any firearm is that to shoot it is to love it. I have Sigs, Colts, Ed Brown, other HKs, but this one is the most accurate handgun I have ever fired.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    I like the idea of a squeeze cocker, but what if?

What if you are disabled to the point where you have to fire say left handed, with a knife wound? Are you going to have enough strength to be able to squeeze and fire off the round that may save you?

Just a thought...
    You can "what if" anything and everything in a sd situation.........

As I understand it, the squeeze weight of the cocking mechanism is about 10-12lbs, and it takes 2lbs or less to hold it back once cocked, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Now to answer your scenario directly,
    In my case, the goblin would be in trouble as even though I'm right handed, I shoot lefty, so "having to fire lefty" wouldn't be an issue for me
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

I guess the Saxony trade ins have the P7 style instead of P7M8 style mag releases?
    Should NEVER have sold that P7M8 I had.
    What Would Gumby Do?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    I guess the Saxony trade ins have the P7 style instead of P7M8 style mag releases?
    Should NEVER have sold that P7M8 I had.
    Yes....to both.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    As for the finish, I understand that some were refinished at the factory and many were police trade ins of some sort that had a department logo on the slide. These were machined off, leaving a slight groove on the slides. Some of the refinishing jobs leave a plum colored finish. SOme of the bluing has a mottled look. There is an outfit in FL called Ford's that will remove the machine mark, recut the slide markings (or customize them) and refinish for a good fair price.
    I think your comments apply to imports of police guns from a few years ago. The current group of P7s being sold by CDNN and others are police trade in from the region of Saxony. These guns have not had any markings milled off and, generally speaking, have not been refinished. They are a fantastic value.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links