How to carry a revolver

How to carry a revolver

This is a discussion on How to carry a revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Now that I've properly introduced myself, on to my most pressing question: How do I CC a revolver? My duty weapon is an M9, but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to carry a revolver

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar

How to carry a revolver

Now that I've properly introduced myself, on to my most pressing question: How do I CC a revolver?

My duty weapon is an M9, but in "real life" I much prefer .357 revolvers... right now I have a 4" Speed-Six. I plan to pick up one or two of those Canadian trade-in GP-100 DAO's floating around for my truck and the house, and an SP-101, J-frame or similar for "deep" carry.

My main question really is "How do you CC a speed-loader?"

My main carry method will probably be a SmartCarry, but even that doesn't seem like it would handle a speed loader full of .357 very well.

Advice? Comments? Should I just suck it up and get something like a S&W 669 or CS9?

I plan to pay for some local CCW/ tactical-type classes so I'll get lots of training on whatever I decide to carry.

Speed Strips with pratice you will be just as fast as with a speed loader...

Thing about spped strip is they carry nice and flat in a pocket so they add no bulk There wasa thread before here on how to use speed strips serach it out and see if this is for you .

Other wise unless you carry a Speedloader pouch on your belt i reallt dont see a what to carry them except in cold weather when they can go in your Coat pocket

The Safariland speedloader pouch carries about as flat as a double stack auto mag. Bud's right about the Bianchi speedstrips though. They carry very flat, and you can carry twice as many as the speedloaders. If you're going to carry a 4" revolver, I don't think the issues of hiding speedloaders is a big deal. I'd be more concerned with the CC placement of the wheelie gun.

1943 - 2009
    DeSantis makes a nice concealment speedloader pouch.

http://www.desantisholster.com/a35.html

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Id throw a couple extra speed loaders in my pocket......weak side.
    Shoot well
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

No, no, no! Do not give in to the autoloaders! :) Wheelguns are great for civilian/off-duty defensive purposes.

Speed strips are easy to carry anywhere because they are flat. The Desantis Second Six mentioned above splits the bulk of the loader on each side of the belt, which is nice -- but you do need a cover garment.
    DDGator (Duane)
    www.RealWorldCarryGear.com

Assistant Administrator
    Much is down IMO to cover garment - this is why I extol often the virtues of (for me) the Smith & Alexander vest. In winter of course heavier shirt takes over.

I used to carry SP-101 and even at times M28 4" - no probs with right and suitable rig - OWB for me.

Speedloaders - well I happen to prefer these to speed strips - that's just me - I like the Safariland Comp 1 or 2 - Comp 1 being the smallest for pocket carry tho Comp 2 is a tad speedier to use I think.. One or two loose in left side pocket usually worked.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Carry speed loaders strong side, unless you are a lefty and use right hand to speed load.

No belt SL carrier is as thin as a mag, even the split design, close but not as smooth.

I sometimes carry three revolvers--matter of how you dress. Normally one N, L, and J Smiths.

Would rather another gun than reload.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    When I carry either of my model 13 S&Ws, I carry a Safariland comp3 loader in a Safariland metal speedloader carrier. It works very well. I usually have a few speedstrips as well that I can use to reload the 642 BUG or the 13.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

I'll dig out a few of my speedloaders, along with my Carriers.. send a few pix of em. Personally, I've carred the combo of speed-loaders and speed strips. 2 loaders and 3-4 speed strips, but that's just me, being me LOL

My always carry is SW model 37 +P I carry it owb in fobus using a garrison belt from Army Navy. I carry one or two speed strips (rubber banded together if two) on my left side. P.S. I take it you live off post because when I was in we had to leave all personal weapons in the armory and it was nothing to pick up your pistol if you were lucky enough to live near your home say 6 to 8 hours away and I did toward the end of my tour. Anyway you would find it dirty because it had been fired. This was common knowledge on the base so I never bought a pistol while in. I squared myself away when I completed my tour. My 2cents. PS and forget about carrying on base concealed or other wise unless Uncle Sam issued to you that day. I think that is so ironic. huh...
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Thanks for everyone's advice. I'll get a speed-strip or two, practice a bit, nd see how I like them.

Blue: I live off-base, but even troops in post housing can have POWs in their quarters, just not in the barracks. One of my troops has a VERY NICE Ruger .40, forget exactly which. It's a bit of a hassle coming on-base armed- tho not impossible, but I spend more time off these days anyway.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

XD9
    I carry a SW 642 as a BUG and took some training on loading it quickly and that greatly increased my speed using a speedstrip. Since it is usually on my ankle I don't normally carry extra rounds for it. I do however, carry an XD9 with 10 rounds in the clip and an extra clip if I am wearing the right clothes. That gives me 15 to 25 rounds. God I hope that is enough. If it's not, some serious s*** has gone down and you will find me running the other way.
    There are 2 sounds in the world that strike more fear than any others. A click when you should hear a bang and a bang when you should hear a click.

Cool

I carry both my 3” SP101 and 642 in a smartcarry holster. I like to wear the holster a little higher than conventional so the butt of my gun is just below my belt (shirt tucked) or just above my belt (shirttail out). The extra pocket on your smartcarry will carry speedloaders ok but I switched to speed strips because they lay flatter.

livin in the woods.... feelin mighty good.
    livin in the woods...feelin mighty good

Im looking for a holster to carry this laddie Iwb all i can find is Owb :chairshot
    Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links