P3AT or PF9

P3AT or PF9

This is a discussion on P3AT or PF9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently carry a P3At in a Nemesis pocket holster 24/7. I have put800 rds through it without a problem. I am considering a PF9 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P3AT or PF9

rf [OP]

P3AT or PF9

I currently carry a P3At in a Nemesis pocket holster 24/7. I have put800 rds through it without a problem. I am considering a PF9 to be carried in the pocket same way. All of your input is welcome. Thanks
    R.F.

Distinguished Member
    I do own both guns, and they are tools of a different size. While you may have pockets to accommodate a PF-9, I know I could not comfortably carry and conceal a PF-9 in my pants.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I bought the PF-9 first and then had to buy a P3AT to be able to fit it in my front pants pocket. The PF-9 is more of a jacket pocket gun maybe.

Buddy of mine has a PF9 and really loves it. Only bad part is it's not nearly as concealable as a Kahr PM9 in the pocket. I tried it side by side with my PM9 for pocket carry and the difference was quite noticeable in jeans. If you can pocket carry it without much printing, then it will likely be a winner though.

The P-3AT is a great pocket gun, but with the clip it carries IWB so easily.
    The PF-9 is more comfortably carried in a belt holster; IWB and AIWB both work for the PF-9, because it is so light and flat that it disappears. KelTec also offers a clip for it that looks interesting and may well be worth a try. Check their website for more info. Probably even tuckable, with minimum adjustment...
    Either is a great gun; or both, if you're inclined to carry a BUG. Can't go wrong with either - or both.
    Sorry, I can't recommend appropriate holsters since I do my own leather.
    Side note: I found that the "pinky hook" that came with my factory magazine doesn't seem to affect my grip, negatively or positively. Not worth buying for spares. However, the little bit of "hook" that it adds when on the gun adds tactile "support" for the draw-from-concealment. That is, the hook gives my hand one more reference point to index to and makes a real difference in the secure grip, thus speed, of draw. But, since it doesn't actually affect my grip I I just use the flat bases for my spares.
    YMMV of course, but try shooting AND drawing with AND without the "pinky hook" and see what works for you. The spares carry easier without, but it makes no difference on the gun (to me).

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    I do own both guns, and they are tools of a different size. While you may have pockets to accommodate a PF-9, I know I could not comfortably carry and conceal a PF-9 in my pants.

Z
    +1

Then again, EITHER gun is infinitely more concealable than my PLR-16!!
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

I find my S&W 340PD easier to put in my jeans pocket, than the PF-9 that I tried at the gun store.

Stick with the P3AT, IMHO.
    www.RKBAholsters.com

Check it out for quality reasonably priced leather and kydex Pocket, IWB and OWB Holsters......

pf-9 is a bigger gun. so it will take up more space in your pocket. now if you put the belt clip on it the gun will ride well inside your pants.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Have 2 PF9s and P3AT. Winter PF9 is BUG carried in pocket holster in front pocket covered by sweat shirt or vest. Summer, it's primary carried in same place overed by t shirt with P3AT in pocket holster in rear pocket. Sometimes carry both 9s with one IWB. Very rarely carry 3AT by itself anymore.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    PF9 is best carried on the belt unless you have large, almost baggy pockets. You can fit one in a pocket on a pair of dockers but he problem is how smoothly/quickly you can draw it out. Also; the clips for the Keltec can be nice, however, for some people it's uncomfortable the way the lenght of the grip sits under your belt when clipped but for the cost, you're not out much if you don't like it.

Personally I don't want a visible clip hanging out of a pocket or on a belt unless it's attached to a simple knife. I'd hate to have anyone ask what I have and be in the position of lying or simply refusing. In some environments this is less likely to happen than others. This is why I don't care for tuckable holsters.

I love the little P3AT. Carry it all the time. Ether in my front pocket, or jacket pocket no holster or in the back pocket in a holster.

When I feel the need for more firepower, I bring along the G19 in an OWB holster.

P3AT goes with me all the time. Steve48

PF-9 works fine for me as front pocket carry in a kydex pocket holster, it does pretty much fill the pocket though ...

Nick

PF9 is a great little gun. I pocket carry mine all the time in a pair of khakis. I found the Kahr a bigger and blockier gun - that is the reason I went with the PF9 - plus the price is much better. The PF9 is a great carry gun, but not a fun range gun - those who have it will know what I mean.

I have carried P3ATs in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster for a couple years and just added the PF9 in another Uncle Mikes pocket holster but I generally tuck that one into my waistband with the mag extension just hanging over my belt. I can tuck my shirt over it or leave my shirt tail out and cover it no problem. Either way and either gun are becoming perfectly acceptable choices (after some lengthy experimentation with several types of HP ammo to determine what will cycle through these light little guns reliably).

Generally speaking, I avoid places where I feel a need to carry one of my Glocks, but when I'm going someplace entirely new - like a new state a long way from home - then I'll wear my G27 or G26 in a Galco tuckable holster. It's always a question with me --- what is appropriate self defense and what is paranoia?
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links