Who's familiar with the .357 SIG?

This is a discussion on Who's familiar with the .357 SIG? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm starting to take an interest in this round. I have a Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum and it's a beast, so I'm intrigued by the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar

I'm starting to take an interest in this round. I have a Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum and it's a beast, so I'm intrigued by the idea of this similar round in a semiauto. What I want to know is.....

1. How does it compare to the .357 Magnum as far as recoil, stopping power, etc....?

2. What's the real difference between them, other than the shape of the case?

3. What popular guns are chambered for it?

I love my XD 45 Compact. If Springfield would release the 3-inch Subcompact in .357 SIG, I would love to check it out.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

1. do a Google search for 357 SIG

2. check the numbers by various ammo makers - do comparsions

3. SIGARMS, GLOCK, and XD makers that will fit the 357 SIG. I do not remember the name of the company but someone makes a 1911 in 357 SIG, maybe find in your internet research.

4. Many Federal Agencies and State Highway Patrol use this round.

Thinking of ordering a 357 sig barrel for this puppy. Know it shoot flat and fast @1319 f/s....as compared to 9 mm @1181 f/s....make a larger trama damage hole.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I've had a few. Its expensive its very flat shooting sharp recoil, but it does a very good job of mimicing a .357 magnum out of a semi auto
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Recoil is similar to .40. It's a VERY loud round. The ammo is expensive. A +p 9mm will give similar performance. If you plan on reloading, I've heard it's kind a PITA. A necked case that has to be lubed like a rifle case. That being said, some people love it. Borrow or rent a gun and try it.

HK has the P2000sk in .357sig
    -Biker

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtbiker View Post
    Borrow or rent a gun and try it.
    I think I'm going to do just that.

"I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    .357 and 9mm are almost identicle in dimensions.

9mm+p+ is putting up fairly good numbers when it comes to velocity and and 150 FPS less with the same diameter may be very unimportant if your shooting a .357 SIG that may be harder to control and make follow up shots with.

I'm not sure how it makes a larger hole. .357 and 9mm are very close in size. You may get a little bit bigger temp crush cavities and due to higher velocity potential to turn those temp cavities into permanant cavities may be greater, do to higher velcity you may get better uniformed expansion but making a larger hole I don't know.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    I like the way that Sig P229 handles the recoil. There's some rearward push but not a whole lot of muzzle rise. Kind of like a +p+ 9mm. The ballistic data is close to the .357 mag. The pistols chambered for the .357 Sig do, despite what the manufacturers say, have shorter lives. I know that the P229s last for about 30k. The Glocks do not last that long. I don't have any experience with the XD.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

In comparison to my .40 .. when I shoot the .357.. it acts more like a .45 in the sense of a sharp rearward kick, but the muzzle flip/rise is nowhere near as bad as when shooting .40.

357 sig is an underpowered 357 magnum round

Quote Originally Posted by manwayla View Post
    357 sig is an underpowered 357 magnum round
    Well said. I find the .357 Sig to be more exspensive than the 40 S&W and much harder to get ammo for. Personally, one of the things I consider when I buy a gun is, availability of ammo in the event of a "worst case scenario" situation.

Worst case scenario situation would be defined as Katrina or the movie Red Dawn. Now go get spare ammo because you've used up your stockpile. I like to stick with common calibers, easier to aquire ammo that way.

Other than that, it's a great round.

Biker

Its odd to read that most think there isn't as much muzzle rise as the .40. I have a sig 226 and I notice quite the opposite. When shooting the .357 (my preferred and the barrel I use for carry) there is a very sharp recoil with the muzzle jumping around quite a bit. If I switch back to the .40 its very easy to handle with a lot less muzzle rize. But I have to say, the .357 sig is my favorite round. I don't know of too many calibers that make it easy to shoot clay pigeons at 100 + yards.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Awsome round. More pricey than the 40, but more betta.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Well said. I find the .357 Sig to be more exspensive than the 40 S&W and much harder to get ammo for. Personally, one of the things I consider when I buy a gun is, availability of ammo in the event of a "worst case scenario" situation.

Worst case scenario situation would be defined as Katrina or the movie Red Dawn. Now go get spare ammo because you've used up your stockpile. I like to stick with common calibers, easier to aquire ammo that way.

Other than that, it's a great round.

Biker
    That's the very reason Ill always have 9mm,.45acp,.38/.357 caliber
    hand guns and ammo around and in quantity.
    Not so much for the Red Dawn scenario but the Katrina/natural disaster deal.
    But to get back to the .357sig I have one, Sig239 that round is a hoot to shoot but expensive.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Simulating .357 Sig with .40 S&W

The Federal Ammunition version of .357 Sig in 125 grain JHP is considered a "standard" in that caliber. The ballistics of this, according to the Federal website, are a muzzle velocity of 1350 fps and energy of 506 ft-lbs.

A couple of manufacturers make a lightweight version of .40 S&W defense ammo, including Corbon. The Corbon 135 grain JHP has muzzle velocity of 1325 fps and energy of 526 ft-lbs. This closely simulates the ballistics of the .357 Sig Federal offering above.

I believe that if you like .357 Sig ballistics and own a .40 S&W gun, that the most cost effective approach is to simply use the Corbon defensive ammo and ordinary .40 S&W FMJ for practice. This will avoid buying the .357 Sig barrel for $150 and expensive .357 Sig practice ammo, yet give you the same ballistic effect in defensive use.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links