New (to me) g19

This is a discussion on New (to me) g19 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Finally getting some money tomorrow to pick up a used g19 that I put a deposit on last week. I'm paying $380 with 2-10rnd and ...

Thread: New (to me) g19

New (to me) g19

Finally getting some money tomorrow to pick up a used g19 that I put a deposit on last week. I'm paying $380 with 2-10rnd and 1 15rnd mag. Not too bad IMO. I ordered 2 more 15 rnd mags for $40. Should go nicely with my g17. I kind of wanted this gun because it had rails on it. I was considering making it my nightstand gun. Add some nightsights, a laser, and maybe a tacrail light. Even if that doesnt happen, it's still a new gun. I noticed that the paint job on it is different than my g27 and g30 in that it seems more matte than shiney. Anyone know if this is a difference that occures with the different generations of glocks? My 17 has the same matte finish while the other two are pretty shiney. Not that I think it really needs it but I might order some Durabake to redo the slide.
    Forgive me for not posting pics but it's nothing you havent seen and well, I don't have a digital camera.
    Hopefully I'll have enough time to make it to the range a put some rounds through it after I pick it up.
    Maybe I will even consider this as a new carry gun. Certainly the winter clothes would allow me to substitute the g27 for a g19.
    One thing I love about Glocks is that they are so similar that for me they essentially shoot the same.
    I can't wait!
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

2. Remove Ads

The 19 was my first Glock. It is a 2nd generation and I still have it. Great shooter. It is comfy to carry also. Good luck with it.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

kpw
    I think the difference in finish is just a variation with different runs. I've had both in the 8 Glocks I've bought. Congrats on the new shooter and be careful, it might end up becoming your favorite.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    The G19 was and still is my first Glock. I wouldn't trade it or sell it for anything!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Administrator
    Just wipe the slide down with a little bit of oil... My Glocks get that "Dry" look after the have been in a holster for awhile. Dont durabake it, it will ruin one of the best finishs in the business.

Go for the night sights and tac light forget about the laser and you will have one of the best guns made.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member
    Ya everyone has a Glock I know, maybe I will have to put one on 2009 budget plan, and get up to speed with the rest of the world.

Hope you enjoy it, and may you never have to use it.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Yeah, I hope I never have to use it too! Unless the target is cardboard, old fruit, or clay pidgeons set on the berm.
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

I had to carry a G17 for years, and I think they're the best dummy-proof gun there is. In fact, I bought my daughter a G-19 for the same reasons. Now when she's ready to learn proper handling skills (which most LEO's aren't ready to), I've got several different sizes of .45 1911's to pass on to her.

Distinguished Member
    Nothing wrong with Glocks, I think you're gonna like it. I like them but my hands are too big for the finger grooves tho, uncomfortable for me, so the only Glocks I have left are a 17 and a 19, both second generation.
    RKBA

John

Quote Originally Posted by jhfox462 View Post
    Finally getting some money tomorrow to pick up a used g19 that I put a deposit on last week. I'm paying $380 with 2-10rnd and 1 15rnd mag. Not too bad IMO. I ordered 2 more 15 rnd mags for $40. Should go nicely with my g17. I kind of wanted this gun because it had rails on it. I was considering making it my nightstand gun. Add some nightsights, a laser, and maybe a tacrail light. Even if that doesnt happen, it's still a new gun. I noticed that the paint job on it is different than my g27 and g30 in that it seems more matte than shiney. Anyone know if this is a difference that occures with the different generations of glocks? My 17 has the same matte finish while the other two are pretty shiney. Not that I think it really needs it but I might order some Durabake to redo the slide.
    Forgive me for not posting pics but it's nothing you havent seen and well, I don't have a digital camera.
    Hopefully I'll have enough time to make it to the range a put some rounds through it after I pick it up.
    Maybe I will even consider this as a new carry gun. Certainly the winter clothes would allow me to substitute the g27 for a g19.
    One thing I love about Glocks is that they are so similar that for me they essentially shoot the same.
    I can't wait!
    So how you guys manage to run into deals like this? Geez. $380? For the finger groove/rail design! Didn't they have a carbon fiber design for the lowers? I've seen those. They would be the shiny ones compared to the matte black. The G19 is number one on my list to get---once I find one for the price you paid! Go ahead and taunt me---I can take it. (sob, whimper, sob) Enjoy your 'new to you G19 then. Good luck with it.

My friend RamRod.... they are abundant on the web. Start searching, and the good lord will provide! There are so many sidewalk commandos that thought they had to have the new Glocks and now realize they don't shoot them...just like the way I buy new Harleys!

But I do! I've searched every day for the past several weeks. Saw one yesterday, $449 but alas, it was a 1st gen and over my TD.

They are very nice guns... Everyone should own a G19:

Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Links