Ultimate carry gun revisited- XD.45

This is a discussion on Ultimate carry gun revisited- XD.45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey All, Some time back I posted a thread to help me choose between a Glock 29 and the XD .45 Compact. I chose the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate carry gun revisited- XD.45

Ultimate carry gun revisited- XD.45

Hey All,
    Some time back I posted a thread to help me choose between a Glock 29 and the XD .45 Compact. I chose the G29 at the time and think it's a great gun. With a full load +P the gun is pretty harsh but that's OK.

I regretted not getting an XD because I thought they were solid, and some rave reviews from some of you. I was in my favorite local shop yesterday and they had a new .45 compact with the dark earth frame. I thought it was great, and before I could get out of the store it jumped in my hand and said, "Take me to the range or loose me forever!" I decided to do just that- so now I own both.

The XD feels great in my hand and pointed very naturally. The trigger was good (it will never be a 1911) and the parts seem to fit really well- slide to frame, magazine release, etc.

All I had to shoot was 230 gr. FMJ and the gun shot beautifully. I am SO used to the grip angle of Glocks, and found I really didn't have to adjust. I put some tape on the head and shot a few rounds at 15 and 25 yards. I didn't take a real slow perfect aim, but got the dots lined up & fired. I then did some quick draw/point shooting at 5 to 7 yards and the results are below. I had 2 double tap groups that were off to the left- I may have been milking the grip when I fired a little, maybe the trigger pull difference from a Glock. All in all I was thrilled with the gun. I just need to shoot it some more.
    Attached Images
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

2. Remove Ads

Hey by the way- I need some input on leather! I carry my G23 in a Crossbreed, they probably have a setup for the XD too. Opinions are welcome, especially IWB concealment.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c

Heh, im also a Glock and XD owner, they make a great couple. I had the fever for an XD about a month after I got my Glock. Congrats on getting yours.

I am headed the XD45c way myself just as soon as the income tax refund hits my bank account. Below is my paper from when I tested the XD out. Not to shabby at 25yards with only double taps and one 10 round rapid fire string ) 5 of that 10 round string are the headshots... The far left shots are a Double tap that I tried left handed, I cannot shoot for **** left handed. The stray on the right shoulder was a flyer from the 10 round string.

"If you don't have any guns and someone breaks in, what are you going to shoot them with?"
    -Dale Gribble.

Where do bad folks go when they die. They don't go to heaven where the angels fly. Go to a lake of fire and fry, see them again 'till the Fourth of July

Thinking about the XD45 myself
    Honor, Courage, Virtue. These are what makes a man.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Get The Xd!!!!!!!!!!! Lol
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

G29 Target

Hey- I had the target laying here and I thought I'd share the IPSC target I used the G29 on in the same session. I only used a few rounds because I didn't have range ammo- just the good stuff.

This was all point shooting w/ double taps at 5-7 yards.
    Attached Images
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Congratulations on the XD. I also carried a Glock 22 and have switched to the XD. The Glock now is my bedside gun and the XD my EDC. I carry mine in either a Dakota Defender IWB or an Eagle Defender OWB from K&D.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Grats on the XD45, I really like mine!

XD45 Tactical is my daily carry.
    Keep your powder dry

I like my XD45 Service, I carry it or my Sig P250.
    Vic
    Kimber Tactical Ultra II
    Kimber Custom II
    Glock 23, Sig Sauer P225, Kel-Tec PF-9
    Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected. SUN TZU THE ART OF WAR

congrats on the xd45. I dont have the 45 but I do own an xd9 and I fell in love with it after the first shot

Quote Originally Posted by kylebce View Post
    Opinions are welcome, especially IWB concealment.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_1 View Post
    Congratulations on the XD. I also carried a Glock 22 and have switched to the XD. The Glock now is my bedside gun and the XD my EDC. I carry mine in either a Dakota Defender IWB or an Eagle Defender OWB from K&D.
    Mike
    +1 on the K&D Holsters My XD .45 compact is my EDC in a Maverick Defender It's IWB with an adjustable cant/ Here is my Maverick Defender review. I think you will find the XD and K&D have alot in common. Can't have enough good things to say about them.
    EDIT: Forgot to ask my off topic question
    Mike how does the Eagle Defender ride? Is it a snug fit up against your body? Does it conceal well?
    Last edited by LongRider; January 31st, 2008 at 11:06 AM. Reason: add question
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I have a XD 40 Sub Compact and I Love it!!

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Great Buy. I have the XD 45 service, and it's my pimary carry gun. Unfortunately, I can't carry it at work, too much chance it would become visible. So there I just carry my Glock 26. But the XD is by far my favorite gun, and I plan on adding the tactical model in the near future.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links