Colt Commander

Colt Commander

This is a discussion on Colt Commander within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks to the influence of most of you on this forum, I have decided on a new EDC. I have ordered a Colt Commander. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt Commander

Colt Commander

Thanks to the influence of most of you on this forum, I have decided on a new EDC. I have ordered a Colt Commander. I ordered it last week and it was supposed to be in yesterday. I called today and was told that they sent a Defender not the Commander so he placed another order. The first order was for a stainless all steel with standard grips. He asked if it mattered if he ordered a Blued this time with rosewood grips. I like the rosewood so I said go ahead. Then he said it was a 7+1. I thought Commanders were 8+1. Any thoughts about stainless vs blued or about the 7+1 vs 8+1 issue would be appreciated. You have already talked me into a 1911 .45 so any other opinions would be icing on the cake. By the way, my other considerations were a Dan Wesson classic bob tail or a Kimber Pro Carry. I like the weight of the steel and the Colt, nothing against the others they are all fine weapons.
    Thanks
    "The truth is not half as important as what people believe the truth to be." Napoleon
    Bersa .380
    H&K USP Compact .40SW
    S&W 66 .357
    Colt Commander .45

JD
    Administrator
    As for the 8+1 / 7+1, it all depends on which mag is being shipped.

7 rounds was the original capacity. Colt's website (which isn't always up to date) shows capacity at 8+1, maybe he just mis-spoke. It should come with 8 round mags.

Either way, you can get mags that hold 8 and most of us out there replace the factory mags anyway. YMMV.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Good choice .

+1 - JD is correct.

My Colt XSE LW Commander came with a stock Colt 7rd mag. Originally I replaced it with 8rd CM Powermags w/ Tripp upgrades which makes it into a 7rd mag. Recently changed to the new Wilson Combat 8rd Elite mag which works just perfect and allows me to carry an extra round. Just a matter of what capacity or type of mag you prefer, but the gun fits either a 7 or 8 rounder. I have a stainless version, not blued. Also, just a personal preference. Congrats on your new gun!
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

I have the exact model you're getting and if it's anything like mine you'll love it, warts and all. It's not the prettiest and lacks the 'extras' so many others consider necessities, but it shoots straight and doesn't jam. Hard to ask for more.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Administrator
    Wise decision. Great Carry Gun.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I knew I could count on this forum. As you can see I read alot more than I post but I learn alot from listening. My dad taught me to buy the best quality I can afford and accuracy is important to me. So the fact that it is at least one of the highest quality and accurate is the most important thing. I just want to make sure I am getting what I am paying for. Some other things I've learned from you: You can never have enough guns, why buy one when you can buy two (or more) and 1911's rule. This will be the first 1911 I've owned so I'm looking forward to shooting and carrying this colt. I already have a galco concealed OWB so as soon as it gets in, it goes on.
    "The truth is not half as important as what people believe the truth to be." Napoleon
    Bersa .380
    H&K USP Compact .40SW
    S&W 66 .357
    Colt Commander .45

If i was you I would not carry it right away... for the simple fact that you need to get used to the safety and clearing malfunctions with it. I would also replace the mags. with wilson combats 8rds mags. they work so much better than the OEM ones. Dont get me wrong the OEM mags are good for the range but for my carry mags it will only be Wilson Combats mags. but thats my $0.02...

johnny
    FYI you will love the way your colt 1911 shoots!!

You are right. If I remember reading I should clean and oil then head to the range for a couple hundred rounds before I carry. Thanks for the reminder. I can hardly wait.
    Bersa .380
    H&K USP Compact .40SW
    S&W 66 .357
    Colt Commander .45

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    great choice!! I hope you love it. IMO blued vs. stainless is a personal thing....but I like my edc to be blued...i choose to not have anything flashy...
    make sure you purchase quality mags for it....it is the number 1 reason for 1911 malfunctions.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

I like flashy myself. You made a great choice regarding the Commander. I sent my Wilson 8 rounders back to Wilson and had them replaced with the 47DC (7 rounders). Next to last round in mag would flip out on the ground nearly every time so I went back to the sevens. These run great.

You'll love your Pony. Nice guns.

I have both a Combat Commander (all steel) and a LW Commander (alum. frame), and I gotta tell you the LW gets a whole lot more carry time than the all steel number.

OD*
    Good choice.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

I don't think you will be sorry. Good choice and great shooting.

I like and carry stainless, but, blue sure is purty....Nice choice, and you will enjoy it immensely.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links