Lawman vs. Detective sizing

This is a discussion on Lawman vs. Detective sizing within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a question about my impending purchase of my Colt Lawman. Holster-wise, is the Lawman the same size/shape as a Detective? I see a ...

Thread: Lawman vs. Detective sizing

I have a question about my impending purchase of my Colt Lawman. Holster-wise, is the Lawman the same size/shape as a Detective? I see a lot of "holster sizing" on various holster websites, and the Lawman is never mentioned, but the Detective IS. Just thought I'd ask!
    Taggart Snyder
    Man about town...

2. Remove Ads

Exclamation Different Frame Size

Lawman series Colt revolvers are built on a larger frame than Detective Specials.
    U.S. Army Veteran

Interesting. So I might have a bit of a hard time finding a holster perhaps?
    Taggart Snyder
    Man about town...

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Your best bet is to call the maker of each holster you are interested in andtalk to them before making your decision.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Well as a rule Lawmen are big gruff fellers with full mustaches who speak plain and honest . Detectives run to smaller sized fellers with pencil mustaches , wear shiny suits , and will get on their knees and prey with your momma if they suspect it will create in you the urge to sign a piece of paper .

Now on to firearms a similar rule holds true , the lawman is ( iirc ) an I frame gun ( the same frame size as the python tho a different action )( or a S&W L frame for all practical comparison ) and the detective special is just a smidge smaller than a S&W k frame , but a smidge bigger than a j frame . They are shiny slick little packages tho lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

The Detective Special is a 'D' frame, the Lawman is a 'J' frame. As stated above, won't fit the same holster. The Lawman is a very solid, high quality revolver, I'm sure you will be happy with it. Galco makes holsters for the J frame colt, I'm sure others would as well. I'm planning on picking up a Galco D.A.O. holster for mine. Not exactly a CCW friendly holster, but that's not what I bought the gun for. A Trooper MkIII is also a J frame, and will be exactly the same size.

I got my Detective Special holster from UBG (index), don't know if Nate has a pattern for a J frame colt or not, but it might be worth asking. He does fantastic work.

Bad shot (I just snapped it with my phone!), but you should be able to see the difference. Det. spl on top, lawman mkIII at bottom:

Hope this helps :)
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Thanks for the replies, guys! I appreciate it.
    Taggart Snyder
    Man about town...

A Holster to fit a Python, Trooper, possibly a S&W L frame would be a good start, with the latter (the Smith) being your best bet
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Links