The Glock allure infection is resurfacing...

This is a discussion on The Glock allure infection is resurfacing... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just when I think Iím over Glock, the Glock allure seems to resurface like a cancer thatís been in remission so many years. I was ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Glock allure infection is resurfacing...

Senior Moderator

The Glock allure infection is resurfacing...

Just when I think Iím over Glock, the Glock allure seems to resurface like a cancer thatís been in remission so many years.

I was infected many years ago and became a Glock die hard totally out of control. Then I saw the error of my way(s) and got interested in real guns like 1911s, Sigs, H&Ks, and even XDs.

That helped me see just how pathetic Glocks really were, I mean, drop free and non-drop free mags? What's that all about? Then thereís the connector issue, 3.5#, 5#, 8#, NY1 and NY2 Ė clearly somethingís awry there, right? Then thereís the odd grip angle; we all know the 1911 with a straight backstrap is the correct angle. If the grip angle isnít enough, then thereís the brick-like grip. Then thereís the K-booms. We know other guns have them, but seems like Glock made K-boom a household word.

And, the trigger is a little light, the pull is too short, and the trigger is anything but crisp and itís gritty. Glocks have no external or manual safety and combined with the Glock light, short-stroke trigger, a Glock is awfully easy to "suprise" fire. Like Massod Ayoob says, ďThe bad thing about a Glock is that itís easy to shoot.Ē Of course he adds, ďThe good thing about a Glock is that it is easy to shoot.Ē

Many opine that itís ugly, and the fit falls far short of the 1911. They have plastic sights for pity sakes!!! And I hate that split trigger thing.

But when GAI (Glock allure infection) resurfaces, it seems to affect common sense and vision. For example, right now all I can think about is the utility, ruggedness, dependability and reliability of Glocks. I mean you can carry the G17 or 19 as a primary and the G26 a BUG. The same mag that fits the G17 or 19 also fits the G26. So if you carry a G17 (or G19), a G26 as a BUG, you've got two guns and 28-30 rounds between them and one mag (G17 or 19) that fits either. If you carry a G17 mag along with the two, youíve got 45 - 47 rounds on you with a two 17 round mags that will fit both guns!

These things have been drug, run over by trucks, buried in everything from the dessert to the sea and even cow manure and they still go bang every time.

Plus, a Glock is a Glock is a Glock. The grips, frames, and slides are the same width (within a given caliber and even across most calibers), the trigger pull is the same, the trigger reach is the same. They are essentially impervious to sweat and the Tennifer finish is as tough as it gets. You can get one with finger grooves and rails or without Ė without is my preference. Well, my preference is no grooves and with the rail but thatís not an option.

As for the Glock trigger, I like it! I told you GAI affects your sense. It doesnít have the smoothest or most crisp break, but itís good and it has the shortest reset Iím aware of and the positive, tactical click when the trigger resets has no rival. If it werenít for that split trigger thing Ė I just donít care for that.

Then thereís the cost. Glocks cost significantly less than most competitors except for the XD. Speaking of the XD, itís the closest copy of the Glock ďfamilyĒ concept. The XD comes in a tactical, service, and subcompact size. But the subcompact, while an excellent gun and size, just doesnít serve the way the Glock subcompacts do. Specifically, it would be quite challenging to carry an XD subcompact in an ankle holster and I can carry a G26, and do on occasion, comfortably in an ankle holster. The compactness of the Glock subcompact coupled with 12 round capacity is a big - hey an oxymoron - the subcompact is big - get it!

Then for a few dollars you can customize the trigger to suit your preference or ďmissionĒ. The connector only takes a few minutes to change out and you can have anything from a 3.5# to 12# trigger pull. Speaking of trigger pull, did I mention itís the same every time and the same on every size Glock? Well, it is.

Then the one Glock thing that beats everybody Ė the lowest grip to bore centerline which makes the recoil more rearward than upward.

Is there some immunization I can get for this disorder? I have this urge to watch "Man On Fire" - was there a Glock in that or something?

2. Remove Ads

JT
    That's it. Come back to the dark side.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Tangle...

May you either find your immunization, or just be happy buying a new glock.

I see the appeal of the "family" of weapons that all use the same mags, etc. I just dislike the safety features in a Glock.

I have less of a problem with the XD due to the grip safety, but that's just my personal opinion :)

Me, I'll stick with my HK :)
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

While I did trade my Glocks off for "higher end" stuff, it had more to do with panache and style than anything else (I'm leaning towards "pretty"-as well as functional- guns, now). Give me a 9mm Glock, XS standard dot sights, and the Ghost Rocket standard connector, and I'm in a state of ecstasy.....

I finally sold my other P7, so I went and put $$ down on a Ruger MkII Target, sans the new LCI crap. To me the MkII is another of those "always-there" pieces that have been traded/bought/traded/bought. This one is a keeper, with the gobbledy-****, safety-crap trend.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by firefighter4884
    Tangle...
    ...I just dislike the safety features in a Glock...
    Safety is an issue with me too. I have to leave "it" in the car quite a bit and I'm pretty comfortable with a chambered 1911, USP, 226, or XD, under the seat, in the glove box or console. But I get pretty uneasy about putting a Glock in those places. All that keeps a Glock from going bang is the trigger and it's relatively short and light. I can't help but think about something getting into the trigger.

Tangle?
    I never thought I'd have one (a Glock) but over the years I've had several.
    I recently got myself a new 10MM G29...( I NEVER buy new, but this stuck out ) ..and also a used G19 with night sights to replace the G26 I had..... they shoot, and shoot well...Just my 2 cents worth.

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    Safety is an issue with me too. I have to leave "it" in the car quite a bit and I'm pretty comfortable with a chambered 1911, USP, 226, or XD, under the seat, in the glove box or console. But I get pretty uneasy about putting a Glock in those places. All that keeps a Glock from going bang is the trigger and it's relatively short and light. I can't help but think about something getting into the trigger.
    I just keep mine in it's holster. If I take if off and put it somewhere, it's still in it's holster.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    JT...wish i had the news article of the bike cop who shot himself in the leg with a Glock getting out of his patrol car. Seems the toggle on his jacket worked itself in the holster and under the trigger.

I'd imagine that would ruin your day.

I'm just a believer that firearms should have an external safety...although maybe shooting for a while, and with a buddy's glock will change my mind...

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

I have had 2 glocks still have one only other one i might buy is 10mm other wise they really dont intrest me i have a few various autos and wheelies and would rather spend my money on something with a Soul.

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by firefighter4884
    JT...wish i had the news article of the bike cop who shot himself in the leg with a Glock getting out of his patrol car. Seems the toggle on his jacket worked itself in the holster and under the trigger.

I'd imagine that would ruin your day.

I'm just a believer that firearms should have an external safety...although maybe shooting for a while, and with a buddy's glock will change my mind...

--Jim
    If it is the one I am thinking of, I saw the article. I use good holsters and proper gun handling so it doesn't worry me. There isn't any room for a jacket to "work itís way into" my holsters. For that mater into most holsters that I know of. I think there is more to the story than he is saying. No disrespect, just simple physics. I am more worried about an external saftey being on when it needs to be off.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JT
    ...I am more worried about an external saftey being on when it needs to be off...
    That's a good point. Although not with a 1911, I've experienced safeties on that I thought was off and safeties off that I thought was on.

Sometimes I think a manual safety is more of a placebo than a real help because it is one more thing to deal with and remember to manipulate.

But, I also think there is more inherent safety or margin for error in a long, heavy DA trigger than a Glock trigger. But, even with the DA/SA triggers the finger is on a short, light, SA trigger after the first DA shot. I've even seen guys holster a cocked Sig more than once without realizing it.

Assistant Administrator
    Tangle - AFAIK - judging anyways by Glockophiles I know - immunization is fruitless. If the infection is severe enough - you just have to yield!!

Me? Not yet been infected - maybe I had my ''shot'' sufficiently early that immune system got well set up.

If I were to vere toward that direction, it'd be an XD-9 for me.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    I have had 2 glocks still have one only other one i might buy is 10mm other wise they really dont intrest me i have a few various autos and wheelies and would rather spend my money on something with a Soul.
    <waving my G29 at Bud> hereeee ya goooooo Bud, it's hynotizing you into a purchase.. LOL I'm really surprised at how it handles too. (the 29 Glock)
    BTW, I'll keep my eyes peeled for that Colt Delta 10MM when it surfaces in Maine.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I have one. I have no plans to get rid of it, but I also don't really have plans to add another one. If a great deal just jumps up in front of me I'll get another one, that's why I have the G27 that I have, but there are other brands/styles that I prefer.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    That's a good point. Although not with a 1911, I've experienced safeties on that I thought was off and safeties off that I thought was on.

Sometimes I think a manual safety is more of a placebo than a real help because it is one more thing to deal with and remember to manipulate.

But, I also think there is more inherent safety or margin for error in a long, heavy DA trigger than a Glock trigger. But, even with the DA/SA triggers the finger is on a short, light, SA trigger after the first DA shot. I've even seen guys holster a cocked Sig more than once without realizing it.

If ya train with 1 system or gun, the safety works without thinking. If ya shoot lots of other guns, it may be more of a problem. Anymore, I don't even think about drawing and releasing the safety on my USP, it just happens.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links