Torn on what to choose for ccw

This is a discussion on Torn on what to choose for ccw within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everybody I am looking for some input on making a wise ccw choice. I own a Glock 19 and a Glock 23 and wonder ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello everybody I am looking for some input on making a wise ccw choice. I own a Glock 19 and a Glock 23 and wonder about those as viable and safe ccw choices. I think about the issue that they don't have a manual safety. I also have talked to people who think that a double action pistol is a factor to take into consideration. I am going to take ccw class this spring/ summer. I am looking at the factors of reliability, accuracy, durability, good customer service,etc. I am considering a SIG 229 DAK or 229 SAS. Your thoughts and advice would be most welcome. Thank you.

You'll find a number of people here who carry a G19 or G23 concealed every day. To quote what I've heard here many times: "the best safety is between your ears."

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

You own two of the most popular handguns in the world for CCW. They aren't my choices, but they're still good ones. Get a good holster or two and start packin'!
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

i carry a g27 everyday with no problems. pick the one that you like the best. a glock needs your fringer to go off.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Administrator
    Well, first things first... welcome to the forum.

All of those pistols are great choices. You are not going to go wrong with any of them. I think for a CCW, I'd give a edge to the Glock. Thats hard for me to say because I am very much a Sig guy. But, the Glocks are built tough you cant hurt them. They are light weight and dead reliable. Whats not to like about them?
    The 19 and 23... flip a coin. I am much faster with a 19, ammo is cheaper so you can shoot more. I would choose a 19 over the 23, but the 23 is a fne choice as well.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have a G26 and a Sig P245. Love them both. For all day everyday carry- its the G26 due to its light weight and smaller size. The Sig is nice but gets heavy (I don't have a good carry belt). I can shoot both with similar accuracy. BOTH have night sites.

I bought the Sig first with CCW in mind, but it was too big and heavy for summertime carry. IWB is totally out for me with either. Its either OWB with cover or ankle (only G26 obviously).

Hope that helps.

I carry a G19. I think you'll be fine with that, and a good holster setup.

I have carried both guns that you already own and have done so quite comfortably. They are light weight small for caliber and capacity and reliable. they are safe as long as you keep your finger off the trigger. select a holster that covers the triggerguard. The sigs that you mention require the same safety considerations as the glocks. If you want a new gun fine, but the ones you already own are among the best. I use a milt sparks summer special (available through brownells)for concealment with glocks.

the only thing that makes you a safe and sane carrier/shooter vs. a shooter who is a hazard to him/her self and others is your choice, famialiarzation, and the practice of using that firearm. I hope I said that right....
    Obviously my choices on guns differ like our personalities. If you feel like you need to try other guns then JUMP ! I have been working on my personal choices for quite sometime. As you grow older your taste is gonna change. Then different calibers come into play, etc. Its like a big, fun puzzle. Confused yet ???
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

kpw
    If it is a fair size class, you might be surprised by how many are carrying Glocks. They are popular for all the criteria you listed. Me? I've been carrying Glocks in one version or another since '91. Btw, for a Sig, I really like the 239 SAS for ccw.

If you want the best carry guns you already own them. The 19 and 23 are second only to the 26 and 27 in my opinion. Get a good holster that covers the trigger guard and carry with confidence. SIG is a good gun but not "better" than Glock for carry / defense. You still have to mind the trigger.

Firearms Safety rule #2 - Keep your finger out of the trigger guard until on target and ready to fire. Do this and you won't have to worry about a ND.

Welcome to the forum!
    I own a Glock 19 and a Glock 23 and wonder about those as viable and safe ccw choices
    Wonder no more! Good choices IMHO. My G27 is my 'anytime' carry option. My G17 and G22 are my 'sometimes' carry options. I've been looking for a G19 in my price range. I actually NEED that mid size Glock. I always carry with one in the chamber. My SIG P220 currently sees only OWB carry under a jacket in the cooler months. BTW--it's carried cocked and locked as it's SAO.

In any violent confrontation a manual safety is a "fine motor skill" which you lose in these situations unless you practice practice practice turning the safety off during drawing .

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I carry a Glock 19 just about every day, and never had any problems. A good holster and belt make all the difference.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I have CC'd for 11 years and the gun I rely on 99% of the time is my G23, it is to me the ideal CC gun, however the G19 is a fine gun as well. Don't get hung up on safteies, safties are for those who don't practice safe gun handling. If you don't feel comfortable carrying a live Glock, either get further training or chose another gun. For a holster may I recommend the Bianchi Carry Loc, I have used a lot of different holsters in 11 years and this is by far the best I have tried. Also why wait til Spring or summer, stuff happens now, so now is the best time to get your permit. If I can be of any help to you feel free to PM me and I will help you all I can.
    God Bless
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links