I need a work CCW

This is a discussion on I need a work CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for something thin to put in my pocket while at work. It's not possible to conceal my G36 while working. I was up ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a work CCW

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

I need a work CCW

I'm looking for something thin to put in my pocket while at work. It's not possible to conceal my G36 while working. I was up at Gander Mtn. yesterday and the Kel-Tec .380 cought my eye. The clerk said they are cheap made, and I shouldn't spend the money on it. I need something waffer thin though, and the Kel-Tec seems like the only option. If I didn't know any better, I would assume it was a cell phone or wallet. I don't want to go any lower then the .380, and thats stretching it. I don't want to get much thicker then the Kel-Tec. That was the perfect size to fit in my pocket. I'm not looking for a great quality gun, not for primary carry, just something to have while at work assuming the worst happens while I'm there. Something quick, easy to conceal, and to get me out of a pickle if the chips are down. Ideas?

2. Remove Ads

May I suggest using the search feature, this is covered weekly. Some will love the Keltecs and some will Hate them. I fall into the later catagory. As far as nother option being as light as the KelTec there isn't any. But you can go to light, I have two of the NAA Guardians, one in 32 and one in 380, not much difference between the two when fired out of such a small barrel. The extra weight and slight size increase make the gun easier to shoot especially with large hands. Do a search for Keltec P3AT on any gun forum and decide for yourself if you still want one. If you would like any further help on the Guardians or Seecamps PM me and I will help you all I can.
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

There aren't a lot of choices, you're right. If "wafer thin" is the goal, then the KelTec P3AT .380 ACP is the king.

Close competitors, at least in terms of size, include: KelTec, Rohrbaugh, Seecamp, North American Arms (NAA). That's a place to start.

With Rohrbaugh, you can get 9mm in a tiny package. The newer KelTec PF9 is also in 9mm, as is the Kahr PM9. None are quite as thin as the KelTec, and only the Rohrbaugh, among this group, is as small. The NAA pistols rival the size, but aren't quite as handy. Various levels of quality and reliability, as you might imagine. What works for you will depend on the specific unit you get, as they can vary. (The issue is much like .45's with 3" bbls, which can have teething pains from gun to gun.)

The Mouseguns.com web site has a lot of ideas. This list shows various semi-autos, from 9mm on down.

This page compares various pocket guns: click, along with a lot of discussion about comparative sizes and weights, with practical suggestions about concealment issues with each.

The Walther PPS is a very thin model, though quite a bit larger than the KelTec, size-wise.

Here is a chart that shows side-by-side comparison of many of the popular mighty mites, from .45 ACP on down: click.

That should get you going.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    May I suggest using the search feature, this is covered weekly. Some will love the Keltecs and some will Hate them. I fall into the later catagory. As far as nother option being as light as the KelTec there isn't any. But you can go to light, I have two of the NAA Guardians, one in 32 and one in 380, not much difference between the two when fired out of such a small barrel. The extra weight and slight size increase make the gun easier to shoot especially with large hands. Do a search for Keltec P3AT on any gun forum and decide for yourself if you still want one. If you would like any further help on the Guardians or Seecamps PM me and I will help you all I can.
    NCH
    I did a KelTec search, but I'm looking for something a little better quality thats not a keltec. Don't know what that is, so I can't search it.

Thin guns

In addition to the Keltec that you mentioned, the thinnest guns I have used are the Kahr polymer 9mm models, which have a slide thickness of 0.90 inches and grip thickness only slightly more. The smallest one is the PM9, with a 3 inch barrel and short grip holding a 6 round magazine. It will fit in your pants pocket, and the gun weighs about 17 ounces empty.

The Walther PPK .380 is also very thin - mine measures about 0.85 inches across the slide and the grip is only slightly more. But it is a steel gun weighing 21 ounces empty, so it starts to be heavy in pocket carry. The new Walther PPS with polymer frame, a 9mm, is also quite thin.

As an alternative to pocket carry with any of these guns, you could consider carrying in an IWB tuckable holster, so that your shirt would tuck in over the gun and hide it.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

If I were to carry at work ( cough cough ) I would carry my kel tec p3at, but a good alternative might be a light wieght j frame revolver like the 642, 442, or a super light weight 340 if budget allows. They just look like a lump in your pocket. I found that finding the right pocket holster makes all the difference.

The Walther PPK .380 is also very thin - mine measures about 0.85 inches across the slide and the grip is only slightly more.
    Walther claims 0.98" total width. The PPS is claimed to be 0.91", about the same as the Kahr PM9. The KelTec P3AT is under 0.8" (0.77" claimed).

I carried a S&W 442 for years, in the pocket. Yes, it was thicker. But with the right clothing that wasn't too tight, the fit was decent. Had to be careful when sitting down, as the pants could tighten around the leg and clearly show a monster "wallet" was in there. Otherwise, even a snubbie revolver can be concealed, with the right holster and clothing choices.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I did a KelTec search, but I'm looking for something a little better quality thats not a keltec. Don't know what that is, so I can't search it.
    As already stated the only other guns in that size are the NAA Guardian, Seecamp's and the R9's, those are your 3 choices. The R9 to me is too much caliber in too small of a gun, the Seecamps are a fine gun, well made, right now a bit hard to find, about a 1 year wait on the 380. The Seecamps are very picky about ammo, they prefer SD ammo, and then only a few on the list, and will not function with ammo like WWB. There is no mag extensions available for the Seecamp, this was a huge factor for me as I really need that extension to get a proper grip on the gun. The price of the Seecamp 380 is double what a Guardian will sell for. The Guardians are well made solid guns, solid SS, so they aren't a light gun, but I have no problems carrying in dress slacks. The Guardians will digest everything I have fed them, from target ammo, reloads and SD ammo, there are way more accessories available for the Guardians as well as NAA's custom shop offerings. As you can see I am very fond of my Guardians, the above is what I have found to be true with my own experierence, others will have their own opinion on this matter. If you can possibly hold and even shoot one of these before buying it would be a good idea. If you are near me you are welcome to stop by and shoot mine.
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Distinguished Member
    I'm looking for something thin to put in my pocket while at work. It's not possible to conceal my G36 while working. I was up at Gander Mtn. yesterday and the Kel-Tec .380 cought my eye. The clerk said they are cheap made, and I shouldn't spend the money on it. I need something waffer thin though, and the Kel-Tec seems like the only option. If I didn't know any better, I would assume it was a cell phone or wallet. I don't want to go any lower then the .380, and thats stretching it. I don't want to get much thicker then the Kel-Tec. That was the perfect size to fit in my pocket. I'm not looking for a great quality gun, not for primary carry, just something to have while at work assuming the worst happens while I'm there. Something quick, easy to conceal, and to get me out of a pickle if the chips are down. Ideas?

It really does not have any competition. The quality is not first rate, but it will do everything you are asking for. Thin, small, light-weight, 7 shot. What else are you looking for?? Oh ya, mine, well it always has went BANG. You have answered your own question if you read your post.

Buy the 380, carry it as your "pickle" gun, you still have your primary weapon, and you will probably come to the same conclusion I have---I did not understand carrying a BUG, but after the P3at, I even BUG it once in a while.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I have both P32 and P3AT .
    I like them and would not want to part with either. I currently have the P32 loaned to a good friend who needs to be reasonably well dressed when he does not wear a suit. He likes the P 32 and is looking for one for himself.

I learned loooooong ago to ignore gun store clerks as a general rule. I have found very few that know anything about guns. It is just their jobs.

Regards,
    Jerry

don't forget the smartcarry method, I don't have to carry "paper thin" with it and it offers many more options. It's $50.00 for holster, but if you try it and it works then you aren't "trying" a gun without knowing. Mixed results on SC, but i've had 3 and I love 'em.

theres plenty to choose from for ccw at work and being discreet. You will need to carry and believe in a smaller caliber though.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Kel Tec

Count me as a Kel Tec fan. I change carry guns often, but my constant BUG is a 1st gen .32. Bought the second one I saw and no major problems. Most of the other employees at the gun shop carry the .380. I don't think they're perfect. I put Flyer Wires in all my .32 magazines and all the .380s needed a bit of work for "smiley" removal and a ramp polish. I would do that to any Kel Tec I would carry as a CCW. Lots of happy customers and they have great customer service. If you break, lose, or screw up by amature gunsmithing, they will send you replacement parts free with a phone call. Usually they send multiple parts, free stuff, or upgrades too.

kpw
    Was that the Gander Mountain in Erie? They are way overpriced and most of the clerks don't know much about firearms. I'm not a fan of Kel-Tecs but there are a bunch that are. If your coming up towards Erie, try Bob's Gun Shop on Rt. 99 about 4-5 miles south of GM. He will fix any gun bought at his shop for free. There are directions here Lethal Weapons Training Academy - Home

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Don't be surprised if a Kel-tec will only work reliably if the magazine is loaded to less than full capacity. Moreover, try to shoot one before buying. I don't have large hands, but the Kel-tec is just too narrow for me to hold, and it squirms while I pull the trigger, which makes accurate shooting difficult. I can shoot a Seecamp .32 or Kahr K9 well enough; the Kel-tec is just too narrow and slippery for me to hold. I am not saying this gun store clerk knows his stuff, but he may just be right about Kel-tecs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links