Who Carries a Glock 23?

This is a discussion on Who Carries a Glock 23? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been looking over various CCWs at my favorite gun shop and found that most of the subcompacts just don't fit my hand very well. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who Carries a Glock 23?

Question Who Carries a Glock 23?

I've been looking over various CCWs at my favorite gun shop and found that most of the subcompacts just don't fit my hand very well.

For example when gripping a Kahr CW40 my little finger was holding mostly air. It sure looked like a sweet carry gun but is just a bit too small for my hands.

On the other hand a Glock 23 which isn't that much bigger seemed to feel really good in my hand. So at this point I'm really leaning towards a Glock 23 for a carry weapon and was wondering who else carries one and how well do you like it for your primary CCW?
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

2. Remove Ads

kpw
    I've carried a G23 in the past but right now I carry a G19 (same size). I can't think of a better all around size. It really isn't any harder to conceal than the sub compact Glocks in most conditions but shoots more like the full size. With good leather (or kydex), they conceal very easily.

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    I've carried a G23 in the past but right now I carry a G19 (same size). I can't think of a better all around size. It really isn't any harder to conceal than the sub compact Glocks in most conditions but shoots more like the full size. With good leather (or kydex), they conceal very easily.
    What made you switch to a G19? Cheaper ammo?
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Administrator
    I have both the G19 and 23, they are great carry guns... perfect size IMO. I to prefer the 19, I can shoot and control the 9mm much better, the .40 has a sharp recoil, not to bad, but it is a factor in a game all about speed.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have CC'd for 11 years and it is the G23 that has been my companion 95% of that time. For me it is the perfect CC weapon. I don't feel dressed without it. As with any gun used for SD practice and proper training is the key. I reload my own ammo so the cost of ammo really isn't a factor, but for those who find the recoil of the .40 to much the 9mm is a fine choice. By far the best holster I have used for the G23 is the Bianchi Carry Loc, I highy recommend you check them out.
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by CEW58 View Post
    What made you switch to a G19? Cheaper ammo?
    A number of things but mostly I was thinning my collection down before the divorce. My kids enjoy shooting the 9mm, not so much the .40s I had. It just made sense as the one main CCW gun at the time. I actually like the .40 better but I'm just fine with a 9 as long as I can pick my loads. My new BHP is a .40, though, and I see another G27 in the near future, too.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I have both the G19 and 23, they are great carry guns... perfect size IMO. I to prefer the 19, I can shoot and control the 9mm much better, the .40 has a sharp recoil, not to bad, but it is a factor.
    They do seem to be the perfect size, don't they? Fit the hand (my hand at least) like it was custom made and yet compact enough to conceal.

You bring up a good point on the recoil factor. Something to consider.

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    A number of things but mostly I was thinning my collection down before the divorce. My kids enjoy shooting the 9mm, not so much the .40s I had. It just made sense as the one main CCW gun at the time. I actually like the .40 better but I'm just fine with a 9 as long as I can pick my loads. My new BHP is a .40, though, and I see another G27 in the near future, too.
    I'm thinking the wife might like shooting the 19 more than the 23. She doesn't tolerate recoil very well. She can shoot something along the lines of a .38 SPL all day long, but anything more potent and she get's a real bad case of flinch and pull!

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

I have a G23 and a G27. The G27 has a +0 mag extension. While I like the extra capacity of the G23, the G27 is what I carry 95% of the time either in an MTAC or Smart Carry. I also carry a G22 15 round mag for back-up.

GLOCK 19, 23, and 32 - all the three (3) are exactly the same size / dim's.

All three feel the same to the hands. All three fit in the same holster. All three magazines have the same dim's so all three fit the same magazine pouches.

Glock 19 = 9mm (world wide use of this round)
    Glock 23 = .40 S&W (U.S. Peace Officer most used round)
    Glock 32 = .357 SIG (U.S. Peace Officers mostly in Federal Dept's and State Highway Patrol's use this round)

Glock 19 / 9mm - great for range practice due to lower cost of ammo and same feeling in the hand as Glock 23 and 32. With recent developments in ammo, there are some excellent self defense rounds on the market. I have not heard about anyone volunteering to stand in front of the so called wimpy 9.

Glock 23 / 40 S&W - some call this round a 10mm "short" or S&W stands for short and weak. More recoil than 9mm but still by far most can handle without a problem. Recoil tends to push the muzzle up and of course louder than 9mm.

Glock 32 / 357 SIG - some call this round a 9mm Mag or 9mm on steriods. Close to 357 MAG performance. Same level of loudness as 40 S&W but with a different pitch - unique sound. Recoil tends to muzzle / gun straight back into the shooting hand. The case is bottlenecked just like most rifle rounds - increasing chambering ability therefore dependability and reliability.

My 2 cents:

Step # 1 - Buy Glock 19 9mm for sure, but at least one, preferably two.

after buying two (2) Glock 19's if have some spare dollars then step number two

Step # 2 - Buy Glock 32 .357 SIG, at least one, preferably two.

Step # 3 - Buy Glock 40 S&W that fits a Glock 23, then can use the spare 40 S&W barrel in the Glock 32 by swapping barrels to shoot 40 S&W.

Do not tie up all your available funds in guns, it is better to have a few guns and plenty of ammo (ammo keeps for years - ammo is not like milk and bread with a shelf life of 10 days).

23 for me, perfect carry size and capacity.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    I occasionally carry a G23C. Great gun..........

Not hard to conceal, resonably powerful, reasonably light, and holds a decent round count.

A person could do a lot worse.

I carry mine OWB in a black leather holster.

From Horseshoe Leather, a one man shop.

add-on information:

buy an ADVANTAGE ARMS 22 LR conversion kit for your Glock's. $200 - $250. Pays for itself real quick with the price difference per round.

SIG SAUER (SIGARMS) makes handguns in 9mm - 40 S&W - 357 SIG - e.g. P226, P229, and P239. In one of three ways for all three models - DA/SA, DAK, or SRT.

I carry the G23 every day. I own a few guns as you can see below but the Glocks are what stay on my hip. I think the G23 is an exceptional gun. The foot pounds of energy are higher than the 9mm, and the recoil is a little more. If I'm shooting a couple of mags the 23 is great. If I'm shooting all day- I'd rather use the 9mm G19 (for recoil and $) Others here have stated that the G19 is prefferable. For recoil & shooting with your wife- I probably agree. It does have 2 more rounds in the mag as well. I like the bigger bullet with more knockdown.

If I had it to do all over again- I would buy the G23 and then get a 9mm conversion barrel and some G19 magazines. You can go down in caliber but you cant go up in caliber with the Glocks (.40s&w barrel to use in your G19)

For size, weight, capacity, reliability & simplicity I think the Glocks are great.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

I carry a Glock 23 and a 27. The 27 is a little lighter and more comapct than the 23, but the 23 is the best all around weapon that I have. If I could have only one gun, it would be the 23.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links